How do we solve a problem like McGoldrick(s replacement)

LN747

1 hour ago, LN747 said:

Any answers anyone, I just can’t see how we replace him…

Not just his goals, but his poise and class….

The straight forward answer is.  Trust Warne.

While the loss of McGoldrick may leave a big hole to fill.  Warne will have identified the players he believes will score the goals that will be needed to get us promoted. He'll know how he wants the team to perform and the type of players he needs to achieve it.

At the risk of sounding like Mel Morris… money.

McGoldrick was absolutely outstanding last season, ridiculously too good for this league. He was the key component of our attack, and integral to the way we played going forward. Without him, you really do struggle to see us scoring goals - and quality like him is rare out there. To lose him was a devastating blow.

However, we must remember that our transfer embargo has now been lifted, and we can finally spend fees again. Think it’s been so long that it’s difficult for Derby fans to realise how big a difference that makes, being allowed to operate normally. We should have a big budget this season for this league, following the sales of Knight and Bielik. In almost all of our positions of need, you should be able to find sufficient quality to win promotion in free agents / loans. So I really would direct as much of our funds as required towards a McGoldrick replacement.

Even if it means spending a fee barely heard of at this level, it is critical that we secure that top quality star up front to lead our attack - the cost will pale in comparison to promotion, which we won’t achieve if we f*** this up. It really is the most important signing we will make, so the recruitment team must get it right. It won’t be easy though.

Like several others have said it will be almost impossible to replace him like for like. I think the key to replacing his goals is to find a forward that is gonna be a physical presence in the box and get on the end of crosses now we have recruited some wingbacks. 

I personally have no idea who this mystical striker is. I just pray that PW has the answer otherwise we're in for a frustrating season.

48 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

It should be possible to replace the goals, but not the class.

Sheffield Wednesday had Smith and Windass both in Teans of goals, but together more than McGoldOne.

Neither of those two (type of) strikers or equivalents are out of our range?

Anyway that’s the way to do it…

My thoughts exactly. It is possible to replace the goals through a combination of the likely change in play and the squad additions we have and will continue to make. I can see there being more goals shared across the team, the likelihood is McGoldrick was a one season treat for the fans, there aren’t many players out there (at this level) with his touch, vision, and for want of a better word… swagger(?). 
I’m glad we got to see him play and I expect we’ll see goals next season but more scored from range, from crosses, relying on some pace/power rather than McGoldricks touch and class. 

Putting my Uncle Albert hat on for a minute. During the war, well the 1970's, we had Hector, O'Hare, Durban, Hinton, Rioch, George who would get goals, but not 25 a season I'll admit. However, we also had McFarland, Nish and Gemmill who would also knock a few in. They have to be spread around the team to be really successful. Just my opinion like. 😁

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The straight forward answer is.  Trust Warne.

While the loss of McGoldrick may leave a big hole to fill.  Warne will have identified the players he believes will score the goals that will be needed to get us promoted. He'll know how he wants the team to perform and the type of players he needs to achieve it.

Errr, he wanted Didzy to stay. So how will he replace him? Can't see it, as someone else has said, being in one player.  

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Would free agent Lyle Taylor be too much of a personality for Warne ?

I suspect most managers would be wary given his behaviour towards the back end of his time with Charlton.

It is a shame as I do rate him as a mobile CF & his nasty streak marks him out as a player you'd want during a tough away game/clash against a top 6 opponent.

Edited by LeedsCityRam
Forgot he was contacted to Forest last season...

Maybe Sibbo gets his chance to shine with an extended run in an attacking role this year and gets into double figures with goals? Maybe Warne getting to play his preferred system, with his preferred players, playing in their preferred roles will add up to more goals shared around more players this year? Maybe we don’t concede so many silly goals from our own corners/attacking set plays? Maybe we don’t need to sign a Didzy MKII - even if one was available and within our price-range? Maybe we do find and fork out for “The One” on the best contract we can offer and they sustain a season-ending injury 10-minutes into their debut? 

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

Maybe Sibbo gets his chance to shine with an extended run in an attacking role this year and gets into double figures with goals? Maybe Warne getting to play his preferred system, with his preferred players, playing in their preferred roles will add up to more goals shared around more players this year? Maybe we don’t concede so many silly goals from our own corners/attacking set plays? Maybe we don’t need to sign a Didzy MKII - even if one was available and within our price-range? Maybe we do find and fork out for “The One” on the best contract we can offer and they sustain a season-ending injury 10-minutes into their debut? 

Heck of a lot of maybes in there fella. Maybe I might try and figure them all out later. 🤔

25 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Heck of a lot of maybes in there fella. Maybe I might try and figure them all out later. 🤔

Exactly my point. Yet people are panicking that we’ll be set adrift if we don’t magic up a 20+goal a season striker! Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t turn it down, but replacing one player isn’t going to make or break our season

Edited by DiggerB

McGoldrick is a quality player and his moments of magic will be missed.

You can’t replace him like for like under the parameters we are working. All we can do is look at building a more balanced and varied team where goals are coming from all angles.

I think we also have to remember nothing is a straight line. Form and confidence go up and down.

Just because Sibley, Collins, Barkhuizen and NML didn’t hit great heights last season doesn’t mean they can’t this season.

This is their opportunity to shine and step out of McGoldrick’s shadow. It’s a fresh start and a clean slate and Warne will present that challenge to those players.

We’ll be absolutely fine.