How do we solve a problem like McGoldrick(s replacement)

LN747

I was worried initially but having seen how Joe Ward can provide ammunition for others I am not worried at all. Whoever we get in the middle, including those we already have will benefit hugely. We may not have a 20 goal striker by the time the season starts but we will score goals because the ball will get in to danger areas with more quality and consistency. The team as a whole will score more and make up the deficit. You saw yesterday what Warne was doing. Bird, Hourihan and others will have more space in the middle when we use the width of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

I was worried initially but having seen how Joe Ward can provide ammunition for others I am not worried at all. Whoever we get in the middle, including those we already have will benefit hugely. We may not have a 20 goal striker by the time the season starts but we will score goals because the ball will get in to danger areas with more quality and consistency. The team as a whole will score more and make up the deficit. You saw yesterday what Warne was doing. Bird, Hourihan and others will have more space in the middle when we use the width of the pitch. 

I think Ward will create space for himself. I was disappointed in his crossing yesterday and that’s something he needs to work on. 
Great cross for Collins in the previous game can be the benchmark.

I’d like to see an intelligent player come in who can benefit from Collins’ runs and drop back in the box to create space for himself.

1 hour ago, Rocket Rioch said:

So much negativity. Having lived through the glorious highs and the desperate lows some of us are just grateful we've still got a viable club; look on the bright side, it could have been so much worse.

You’re not wrong but that has to come a time when we move on from focusing on how grateful we are. 

Our aim now must be to get back into the championship as soon as possible. Unless we’re making Stellar signings and/or storming the league there is bound to be an element of negativity and criticism. We all just need to try and keep our expectations realistic and our comments measured and sensible.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

You’re not wrong but that has to come a time when we move on from focusing on how grateful we are.

Our aim now must be to get back into the championship as soon as possible. Unless we’re making Stellar signings and/or storming the league there is bound to be an element of negativity and criticism. We all just need to try and keep our expectations realistic and our comments measured and sensible.

For that to happen we'll need a time machine to go back and stop Ed Dawes asking DC about our budget. Like it or not the expectations have been set from the top.

A top six budget and a top one manager means promotion is a realistic expectation. That's not to say we riot / sack the manager if it isn't achieved, but were we to finish outside of the playoffs it would represent a quite catastrophic failure. Thankfully I simply don't see that happening.

Even if we had only the 10th biggest budget, I'd expect that to equate to a serious push for a play-off position when you add the caliber of manager into the equation. I don't think that's unrealistic? Otherwise you'd basically saying that it doesn't matter who's in charge of the squad and the final league placings would be decided by budget alone.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

For that to happen we'll need a time machine to go back and stop Ed Dawes asking DC about our budget. Like it or not the expectations have been set from the top.

A top six budget and a top one manager means promotion is a realistic expectation. That's not to say we riot / sack the manager if it isn't achieved, but were we to finish outside of the playoffs it would represent a quite catastrophic failure. Thankfully I simply don't see that happening.

Even if we had only the 10th biggest budget, I'd expect that to equate to a serious push for a play-off position when you add the caliber of manager into the equation. I don't think that's unrealistic? Otherwise you'd basically saying that it doesn't matter who's in charge of the squad and the final league placings would be decided by budget alone.

Who said a top 6 finish wasn’t a realistic expectation? Not me. But to run away with the league and avoid occasional defeat against some teams we might expect to beat might be. I’m talking about people who will go into melt down if we play poorly and lose tamely a couple of early game. 

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wonder who will provide the sparkle now?

I would like to see Brown given his chance. Not seen a lot of him but he knows he has to stay in the box to score and not run all over the pitch doing the job of other players. We won’t know till he has played 10 games, if he can score goals. But very good managers can take a rough diamond and make him a star.

On 25/06/2023 at 18:29, S8TY said:

Anyone thinking Sibley will or could replace Didzy needs there head testing 

Didzy was class and had so much other than goals about his game …Sibley is not in same class 

we need to spend money for a 10 or cam because believe me that is the crucial position that will unlock defences and he needs to be able to score a few 

Sibley needs to prove himself because so far he’s not been consistent and I certainly don’t see the guile to take Didzys place ….this is where Warne needs a real player because that position is pivotal 

Sibley was given his chance up front end of last season and it didn’t work for him. I think he’ll need to star as a sub a few times if he’s to get many starts this season