How do we solve a problem like McGoldrick(s replacement)

LN747

33 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

You could say he only scored 12 (11) because he was handed a couple of penalties to boost his confidence.

Let's not rewrite McGoldrick as an Ince like figure who we put all our play through but provided next to f*** all for his teammates. He's not a selfish player, never has been.

👍🏻 I had my tongue firmly in my cheek.

Anyone thinking Sibley will or could replace Didzy needs there head testing 

Didzy was class and had so much other than goals about his game …Sibley is not in same class 

we need to spend money for a 10 or cam because believe me that is the crucial position that will unlock defences and he needs to be able to score a few 

Sibley needs to prove himself because so far he’s not been consistent and I certainly don’t see the guile to take Didzys place ….this is where Warne needs a real player because that position is pivotal 

11 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, but who scores the goals?

We don’t have goalscorers in our squad. We have to find them.

Knight, Bird, Sibley, Hourihane, Smith, NML, Collins.

I reckon maybe twenty goals if you’re lucky from that combination. Washing-up might add half a dozen to that.

That’s relegation stats not promotion ones.

Knight 2 goals from 33 starts 5 sub appearances, Bird 1 goal from 34 starts 3 sub, Sibley 3 goals from 26 starts 16 sub, Hourihane 7 goals from 42 starts 2 sub, Smith 0 goals from 33 and 7, NML 7 from 39 and 5 and Collins 11 from 29 and 13

So last season that combination got 31 goals, with Smith playing vast majority at right back, Sibley several at LB.

Think it was telling also how few starts Sibley and Collins made, even with so many sub appearances Sibley only played equivalent of 26 full games, and it was clear by the final 3rd of the season we had a set way of playing to get best out of McGoldrick and subsequently if he didn't score, we as a team didn't score.

I fully expect the same number of goals to come from NML, Hourihane and Collins with the new additions getting double figures and if Sibley plays more as a McGoldrick no 10 replacement I expect him to at least double his tally 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Problem is, players of that quality usually want to play in higher leagues. where there is more money. So it’s brave to think we’ll have a player of his class.

to call him a journeyman is also brave 

tbh I doubt players like didzy fit into Warne’s ideal squad 

This is by no means a dig at PW but I'm glad it was Liam Rosenior that was tasked with shaping last seasons squad. We probably would never have had the delight of seeing Didzy in a Rams shirt. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting....i actually, sadly don't think we will replace him....if we do i'll eat a savoury pancake live on pride park pitch at half time...

Bit like that fish that came on at half time a few seasons ago...where did he go??? 

Not going to be easy to replace McGoldrick, a player who exceeded everyones expectations (and probably his own). The reality is we wont be able to replace like for like and I expect that suits Warne and his plans moving forward. Actually I can't recall a situation where a clubs best player and top goalscorer actually drops down a division the following season. Quite unique really....

2 hours ago, LN747 said:

Still waiting....i actually, sadly don't think we will replace him....if we do i'll eat a savoury pancake live on pride park pitch at half time...

Bit like that fish that came on at half time a few seasons ago...where did he go??? 

It's gonna be a long wait init. 😞

On 24/06/2023 at 03:04, Millenniumram said:

At the risk of sounding like Mel Morris… money.

McGoldrick was absolutely outstanding last season, ridiculously too good for this league. He was the key component of our attack, and integral to the way we played going forward. Without him, you really do struggle to see us scoring goals - and quality like him is rare out there. To lose him was a devastating blow.

However, we must remember that our transfer embargo has now been lifted, and we can finally spend fees again. Think it’s been so long that it’s difficult for Derby fans to realise how big a difference that makes, being allowed to operate normally. We should have a big budget this season for this league, following the sales of Knight and Bielik. In almost all of our positions of need, you should be able to find sufficient quality to win promotion in free agents / loans. So I really would direct as much of our funds as required towards a McGoldrick replacement.

Even if it means spending a fee barely heard of at this level, it is critical that we secure that top quality star up front to lead our attack - the cost will pale in comparison to promotion, which we won’t achieve if we f*** this up. It really is the most important signing we will make, so the recruitment team must get it right. It won’t be easy though.

Lifted to an extent as we may pay "moderate" fees. What is a moderate fee? I'd guess at around £500K max in L1. That rules Clarke-Harris or any other goal machine well out of the picture. As I've posted before, we should have a tidy sum in the bank from last season. The budget was based on gates of 17K and we underspent on that budget. Average gates were 10259 above budget. At 20 notes a pop that's around £6M we should also have. Then there's the £3M from the Knight and Bielik sales plus the Season Ticket money. We have plenty in the bank but can't splash the cash till next summer and even then we won't spend anything we haven't got. As long as DC owns us we will remain within budget. Fans have to forget multi million pound buys for a good few years, IMO.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not gonna happen this season is it? 😞

It’s simple really. Without decent investment up front we will struggle for goals and it will be a hard slog next season. I honestly think we’ll be on the outside looking in as the likes of Pompey, Peterborough, Bolton, Charlton, Oxford and Barnsley bypass us. I’m clinging to the hope that we will get a striker in who is under the age of 30 and is a decent prospect before the opening game but the vibe from the club doesn’t really fill me with confidence. 

Maybe it'll be Birdy? He's got the talent for sure...

"He was excellent," he said. "I am expecting big things from Birdy this season. He looks a little bit sharper, a little bit quicker and we will expect him to chip in with more goals which I know he will want to do himself.

"But he's come back in unbelievable shape and has been a real positive this pre-season.

"We've spoken to Birdy because he can be a bit too harsh on himself. I think he needs to relax a bit more and enjoy being here.

"He is such a good learner and wants information but at the same time you don't want him to get too bogged down with that.

"You just want him to play like a 12-year-old, go and get on the ball and do things he is more than capable of doing."

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

"He was excellent," he said. "I am expecting big things from Birdy this season. He looks a little bit sharper, a little bit quicker and we will expect him to chip in with more goals which I know he will want to do himself.

"But he's come back in unbelievable shape and has been a real positive this pre-season.

"We've spoken to Birdy because he can be a bit too harsh on himself. I think he needs to relax a bit more and enjoy being here.

"He is such a good learner and wants information but at the same time you don't want him to get too bogged down with that.

"You just want him to play like a 12-year-old, go and get on the ball and do things he is more than capable of doing."

Where's that from, RoyMac5?

On 20/07/2023 at 10:28, RoyMac5 said:

..."You just want him to play like a 12-year-old, go and get on the ball and do things he is more than capable of doing."

Maybe, maybe...