How do we solve a problem like McGoldrick(s replacement)

LN747

You can't replace him. Effortlessly talented. By far the most technically gifted footballer at Derby I've seen in god knows how long. Yeah we've had players who have had tricks in their locker and were able to beat players 1on1, but it was the football brain that he had to match his ability.

He could pick a ball up, turn, meg someone and already know that after he's done that, he'll spray a 40 yard ball to someone on the opposite wing. Things like that separated him from the rest, never mind his goal threat.

I miss him to the point I think I'm gonna have to support Notts county aswel this year 🤣

21 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

I know it was many years ago but I remember Jim Smith’s team to get into the Prem or whatever it was called then and the goals came from all over the place. Marco G, Simmo, Studger, Ron Willems,Robbie VDL even Sean Flynn, We don’t need a 25 goal a season striker if the 10 outfield players can chip in with goals

The goals in that side relied quite heavily on the strike force - Sturridge 20, Gabbiadini 11, Willems 11, Simpson 10 contributed 52 of the 71 goals scored. From our successful sides over the years, the strikers pulled their weight.

I doubt we'll replace him with one player.

The simple answer is to spread the goals around much more, with others weighing in with more. I'm sure we will sign at least one striker and at least one no.10, who should be looking at 10-15. Collins should be good for 15. You'd hope Sibley, NML, Hourihane of the existing squad could all get double figures, Knight too if he stays. Bird getting 5+, Cashin could easily get 5+ if he can capitalise on good positions from set pieces.

I don't think the blueprint for success in this league is having one 25 goal striker. We created a lot of chances last season but we're profligate. Everyone needs to contribute and with the right tactics, we should be seeing goals from all over the squad.

13 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

It should be possible to replace the goals, but not the class.

Sheffield Wednesday had Smith and Windass both in Teans of goals, but together more than McGoldOne.

Neither of those two (type of) strikers or equivalents are out of our range?

Anyway that’s the way to do it…

Like the "Punch" line 😀

23 hours ago, LN747 said:

Any answers anyone, I just can’t see how we replace him…

Not just his goals, but his poise and class….

It's League 1.
As lovely and luxurious as it was, there is absolutely no need to replace the poise and class. 

There was/is potential from Alfie May, Ruben Rodriguez, Sam nombe.

It's a shame we didn't try to sign Ruben Rodriguez

It's a shame we are not trying to sign Macaulay Langstaff. Although I expect we can't afford him.

I think the only way is to acknowledge another beautiful side of football. Washington and Collins as a strikers, Knight as a 10. It won't be pretty but I wouldn't want to be the defender playing against their relentless press.

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I think the only way is to acknowledge another beautiful side of football. Washington and Collins as a strikers, Knight as a 10. It won't be pretty but I wouldn't want to be the defender playing against their relentless press.

Yes, but who scores the goals?

We don’t have goalscorers in our squad. We have to find them.

Knight, Bird, Sibley, Hourihane, Smith, NML, Collins.

I reckon maybe twenty goals if you’re lucky from that combination. Washing-up might add half a dozen to that.

That’s relegation stats not promotion ones.

48 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, but who scores the goals?

We don’t have goalscorers in our squad. We have to find them.

Knight, Bird, Sibley, Hourihane, Smith, NML, Collins.

I reckon maybe twenty goals if you’re lucky from that combination. Washing-up might add half a dozen to that.

That’s relegation stats not promotion ones.

The aim of high press is usually not goal-scoring per se, it's about not conceding. Attack wins you games, defense wins you titles.

For example, in 2019-2020 Warne's Rotherham scored 57 and conceded 37. Best goalscorer Labado with 14, no other players got to double-figures. Fourth best goalscorer scored 4 goals.

Collins can score that 14, he has scored 28 in this league and had 11 last season, which was dire by his standards. Knight and Washington can get around 10 because pressing gets you better goal-scoring chances than the slow build-up. Then there's Warne's favorites, set-piece goals.

As I said, I think the only way to solve this problem is to start to appreciate other sides of football than McGoldrick's class. Also, we can get promoted without him and actually, I think we have a better chance without him. I'm expecting us to be a well-drilled unit next season and darn hard to beat. If we concede less than a goal in a game (like that 37 which averages 0,8), our chances for promotion are excellent.

Obviously, it would be much more fun to watch McGoldrick's flair but Warne is here to get us promoted and he knows how to get it done. To be honest, League One defenders are technically so horrible that IMO high press is the correct approach. 

Edited by Dimmu
And yes, it would be great option to have McGoldrick from the bench against tired defenders.

Sometimes prolific strikers can be a detriment to the rest of the team. I always thought that with Darren Bent in our side we ended up scoring fewer overall, as the whole team was geared to getting him at the end of moves and he offered absolutely nothing in the build-up.

Not the case with McGoldrick. He was our number 9 and our best number 10. He had the ability to finish moves that he often started himself. 

We're replacing two players, not one.

On 24/06/2023 at 01:22, Ambitious said:

McGoldrick is a nice reminder that even a 36 year old journeyman striker can be excellent in this division truthfully. 

It shouldn’t be too difficult to replace him with a bit of a budget. 

Problem is, players of that quality usually want to play in higher leagues. where there is more money. So it’s brave to think we’ll have a player of his class.

to call him a journeyman is also brave 

tbh I doubt players like didzy fit into Warne’s ideal squad 

Edited by kevinhectoring

31 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Goals goals goals. Promotion.

Good luck to Peterborough in their upcoming Championship season.

Oh, hold on...

The rest of the pboro squad does not have the quality ours does, despite the finishing positions 

One of the main reasons why a traditional No9 type of player couldn’t score a shed load of goals last season was predominately because non of our wide players , wing backs or corner takers could cross their proverbial legs !! 
That was one of the things that drive me absolutely mad last season - I lost count how many times a cross was hit too far or behind the goal - truly shocking. 
Also considering his supposed prowess from a dead ball situation Hourihane’s corners were absolutely shocking all season. 
Also the way we set up to maximise McHoldricks strengths meant we couldn’t play 2 up top ie a No9 because we didn’t have the type of players in midfield to play to that strength - generally we played with 2 holding midfielders who generally played the bs sideways to wide players who couldn’t cross a ball and that would have been no use whatsoever for McGoldrick because he generally had a deeper free role as a No10.
Hopefully this season those shortfalls will have been addressed with players who can cross a ball and midfielders who are far more positive going forward. 
We only need one holding midfielder and two more positive attacking midfielders. 
I understand why we played 2 holding midfielders - that was because we literally had no pace at Centre Half, and they needed additional support. 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Collins only scored 12 last season because Didzy wouldn't give him the ball......

You could say he only scored 12 (11) because he was handed a couple of penalties to boost his confidence.

Let's not rewrite McGoldrick as an Ince like figure who we put all our play through but provided next to f*** all for his teammates. He's not a selfish player, never has been.

Edited by Kokosnuss