Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

Positives we look very good from crossing and set pieces, we haven’t had that for years! 

Centre backs look solid making some great last ditch blocks.

Wildsmith is still a cat.

Negative for me it’s highlighted an issue we didn’t think we had. With Smith and CH deeper and Bird further up, we look open to counter attacks through the middle, neither Smith or CH quick or big enough to break up play in the middle if we lose possession, hopefully they sit a bit deeper during the league games and it isn’t an issue, personally I think we need something else there.

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

Agreed a Premier League team would (or should) be more clinical than League 1, but we'd be lucky not to get punished by anyone for a pretty careless cross-field pass and then getting back to play the guy onside just as he's scoring! Not to be too harsh on Smith, who did most things well today.

Was Hourahain on the pitch second half

Bad rep, good premiere, that's what it's called? If Smith could add goals to his game he'll be a great asset. Seems to find good positions but not been cool enough earlier. Great to see him get his name on the scoresheet. COYR!

Actually a good game to watch as far as friendlys go. I think Warne will have learned a lot today, bit worrying the last 10 mins, Smiths mistake and no cover in front of the centre halves. Plus points Washington looked sharp and looks a good signing, Waggy may of earnt himself a contract, centre backs look strong, Forsyth can do a job at LWB and Nelson’s long throws could provide a few goals. Would still like to see at least one more striker. Overall feel positive about Derby performance and the season ahead.

Just now, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Actually a good game to watch as far as friendlys go. I think Warne will have learned a lot today, bit worrying the last 10 mins, Smiths mistake and no cover in front of the centre halves. Plus points Washington looked sharp and looks a good signing, Waggy may of earnt himself a contract, centre backs look strong, Forsyth can do a job at LWB and Nelson’s long throws could provide a few goals. Would still like to see at least one more striker. Overall feel positive about Derby performance and the season ahead.

Agree  except I'm not overly worried about the last ten minutes. We got sloppy and got punished. I would hope/think that's not going to happen too often in league one.

Really enjoyed that. Thought it was the perfect last game/ test before the season opener. Couple of things I thought the subs made an impact when they came on. Washington looks intelligent and busy. Wilson looked energetic and athletic. Waggy looked good in the little cameo and to me it’s a no brainier to get him in. Much prefer Fozzy at LWB. Defence looked pretty solid a few sloppy errors but you’d expect that in a friendly. Midfield looked good. Is Hourihane going to permanent skip I wonder? Ndiaye looks a player looking forward to seeing him play in the prem

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Agree  except I'm not overly worried about the last ten minutes. We got sloppy and got punished. I would hope/think that's not going to happen too often in league one.

Yes, I still think we’ll get sloppy now and again, the difference being, the better the opposition the more likely they are to do the punishment bit. The big thing I noticed L1 v Championship was not skill level but percentage of errors given equal circumstances. I think this going to be an enjoyable season with more goals per game than we have seen for a good while. 🐏