Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Genuine queation

if where does the possible addition of another central midfielder leave tommo?

He obviously needs time to develope but hes not going to come back 6ft plus and a more powerful commanding force 

Well if that is Paul Warne hoofball, bring it on! It was a very enjoyable watch and we gave a good account of ourselves for 80 of the 90 minutes. All three goals against were from our sloppy play - it isn't as though Sheffield United ripped us apart. They did create a couple of good chances, but that was all.

We are certainly showing more aggression and bite in our tackles, and more threatening with crosses and corners, all a plus on recent seasons. To me though, Nelson had a few wobbles with the ball in defence, and Waghorn did his "trapping a bag of cement" impression on one occasion, although otherwise he actually looks like a footballer, so may well do well in this League.

I am taking a different view about Hourihane than most - yes he can be quite creative, but several times in his pre-season he has been guilty of just lumping the ball high and long, more in hope of it reaching one of our players than actually passing the ball. And he often misses the obvious defence splitter, opting to turn and go the opposite way, or backwards. So instead of the creative edge, he ends up breaking up our play, stifling the chance of surging forwards. Just my opinion, mind.

And regards Tommo, caymanram said it well with this: "To be fair he’s up against a quality of player he won’t meet in League 1. His attacking contributions looked good, and I hope he doesn't get a season of being played out of position, or kept on the bench, because pre-season has shown that he has plenty to offer. Your observation also leads us to why it was good to end our pre-season against such strong opposition. Regardless of the result, we won't come up against that quality of performance in League One, apart from maybe just one or two. I think we are looking good for a fun season! Whether we actually have enough to get the job done I have no idea, but I am looking forwards to being there to yell my head off for them!

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Just now, jono said:

Did anyone else note in the interview Warne saying “people lie in football” .. it sounds to me if a deal was done for someone verbally but there was a sudden change of mind. ? Ummmmmm 

Could mean the rumoured Rhodes deal, perhaps the player or Huddersfield have changed their minds/the arrangement in some way? Bit petulant/unprofessional on Warne’s part if that is the case and he’s called it out in such a public way. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

Did anyone else note in the interview Warne saying “people lie in football” .. it sounds to me if a deal was done for someone verbally but there was a sudden change of mind. ? Ummmmmm 

Nope didn’t hear that but I am getting on a bit 

31 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine queation

if where does the possible addition of another central midfielder leave tommo?

He obviously needs time to develope but hes not going to come back 6ft plus and a more powerful commanding force 

Thomo would be my midfield option to replace a flagging Bird or Hourihane - today he was not his best but this is not his preffered position. 

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Could mean the rumoured Rhodes deal, perhaps the player or Huddersfield have changed their minds/the arrangement in some way? Bit petulant/unprofessional on Warne’s part if that is the case and he’s called it out in such a public way. 

Genuinely didnt hear it … where in the interview does he say it 

be interested to hear it 

4 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Thomo would be my midfield option to replace a flagging Bird or Hourihane - today he was not his best but this is not his preffered position. 

Oh agree hes not a wingback

mayve as u say a last 20 mins or so add a bit of energy as players flag 

squad game and all that

The 1 thing I will take from today, the stream I was watching had the Sheffield utd commentry team on there, and 1 of the things they said at the end of the game is that they will be very surprised if we're not up there for promotion in league 1 as we cut them open and looked a good threat, or words to that effect.

They also really rave about Osula and think he's basically the complete striker, just needs the goals, which I have to agree with. His finishing needs fine tuning but he's great to watch at times.

I've just been reading the Sheff Utd fans' forum and they are very underwhelmed with their team. Got nine players out injured already - that's a lot. 

Osborne and Lowe generally considered way below the standard needed.

They think Bird and Hourihane are dirty players - certainly don't like a tackle on there! Made me laugh given we think they're a pair of lightweights 

Opinion divided fifty fifty on Osula. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I've just been reading the Sheff Utd fans' forum and they are very underwhelmed with their team. Got nine players out injured already - that's a lot. 

Osborne and Lowe generally considered way below the standard needed.

They think Bird and Hourihane are dirty players - certainly don't like a tackle on there! Made me laugh given we think they're a pair of lightweights 

Opinion divided fifty fifty on Osula. 

Osula is an athlete but has a long way to go to be a footballer. Made a mockery of teams way below league standard and generally struggled beyond that when his athleticism wasn’t all that mattered.