Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

A lot is made of Wrexham's spending power, but they're now in a league with much tighter restrictions. Mullin is their highest earner on £4,500.00 a week, whilst a nice wage for a lower league footballer and people with normal jobs - I'd imagine Alfie May would be looking for somewhere in the region of double that given his body of work in the past two seasons. 

It makes them competitive with the likes of the Shrewsbury, Exeter and Cheltenham - it's still a mile off being able to compete financially with ourselves. It's not a too dissimilar to Salford, who bought their way out of the National League and into League Two. 

I can’t be sure of course, but I suspect the days of mega salaries in the lower leagues may well be past. Yes parachute clubs and a handful of others will be able to afford more but will he be wanted by them ?

4 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

According to an EFL source of mine, Cheltenham are one of four league one clubs whose highest paid player is on under £150,000 per year - that’s about £2,900 a week. 

So are those 4 clubs the lowest payers ? I wonder what average wages are across the league ? There will be headline big bucks in places but I would be surprised if the average was much more than 4K a week ? 

12 hours ago, jono said:

So are those 4 clubs the lowest payers ? I wonder what average wages are across the league ? There will be headline big bucks in places but I would be surprised if the average was much more than 4K a week ? 

I would suggest Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich blow the rest away in terms wages 

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I would suggest Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich blow the rest away in terms wages 

Yes, I reckon you’re right, I wonder what the real average is for a middle ranking player at a middle ranking club ?

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The 12th highest club wage bill is roughly £6m

So using the SWAG calculation (Scientific Wild ArsedGuess) average player is earning about 4K a week. Big blouses get 8k also rans get 2K ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it would be nice to bring in a striker with a decent level of production at this level rather than taking a chance on a championship player who may have been off it in the past couple of years. I think the fee is more than reasonable to allow him to move on. We need a couple of options upfront, perhaps three if McGoldrick moves on. 

Edited by Ambitious

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah, it would be nice to bring in a striker with a decent level of production at this level rather than taking a chance on a championship player who may have been off it in the past couple of years. I think the fee is more than reasonable to allow him to move on. We need a couple of options upfront, perhaps three if McGoldrick moves on. 

I can’t see it being more than about £150-170k