Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Will he suit the system? Fewest headers won and the worst for aerial duels in the entire Football League. How will cope with more compact defences which are sitting deeper than the more open defences playing high lines than he's used to?

Can't remember King Kev scoring many headers that was left to O"Hare or Davies perhaps he'd thrive on the knockdowns and balls through ?

11 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Can't remember King Kev scoring many headers that was left to O"Hare or Davies perhaps he'd thrive on the knockdowns and balls through ?

I never mentioned shots/goals from headers. Warne's style is to 'mix it up', which includes going long and battling in the air. Having May in the side reduces the effectiveness of going long.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I never mentioned shots/goals from headers. Warne's style is to 'mix it up', which includes going long and battling in the air. Having May in the side reduces the effectiveness of going long.

You do realize that the chances are he won't be the only striker we'll sign? 

Not saying it's just you but everyone seems to think it's all our eggs in the one basket. 

We were crying out for someone last year to come on and he a danger in the box, If we got Dobbin back for pace, may for around the box, didzy for outside the box and Collins or maybe even a replacement for the rough stuff you mention, that would be a decent Frontline, plus I expect us to bring in some bigger muscle into midfield and defence. 

1 hour ago, SparxTheRam said:

You do realize that the chances are he won't be the only striker we'll sign? 

Not saying it's just you but everyone seems to think it's all our eggs in the one basket. 

We were crying out for someone last year to come on and he a danger in the box, If we got Dobbin back for pace, may for around the box, didzy for outside the box and Collins or maybe even a replacement for the rough stuff you mention, that would be a decent Frontline, plus I expect us to bring in some bigger muscle into midfield and defence. 

Warne has already stated needing "10s and a 9".

Given the system we finished the season with, comments made by players, and players we have under contract, those '10s' would be the two AMs/wingers behind the CF (ie Sibley and Mendez-Laing behind McGoldrick). May would be a '9'. 

You say Collins is there for the "rough stuff", but he's statistically one of the worst CFs for aerial duels managed by Warne. That tells you all you need to know about Warne's type of CF. A player who won just 4 aerial duels in 39 appearances is not a Warne CF.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He played upfront in a 2 most of the season. On the rare occasion they played 3421, he was the CF (9)

A 9 leads the line. He doesn't look like that sort of player to me. Anyway, we will see. I think Warne will want a traditional 9, someone who can head it at the back post and so on. He always emphasises the importance of crosses. Alfie May looks like someone who would play off a 9