Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

What a great leveller football really is. It doesn't seem too long ago that we were moving into our lovely all-seater 33k capacity purpose built stadium as we looked down from the giddy heights of the Premier League on the rest of the football world taking the piss out all those minnows below us. For our first league game in our own new home we welcomed Wimbledon FC's Crazy Gang. They had entered the EFL from the Southern League in 1977-78 when we were still in the First Division, having become Champions of England for the second time just three years before. As we dropped down from the Second to the Third Division in 1983-84, Wimbledon passed us on the way as they were promoted to take our place in Division Two. Then in the next season as we were failing to get out of Division Three, but taking the piss out of the other 23 clubs in our Division, little old Wimbledon finished halfway in Division Two. But never mind, we were soon on their heels the next season as we made our way back up to Division Two but the Crazy Gang were not there to meet us; as we finished third in Division Three, Wimbledon did the same in Division Two to reach the top tier. Not to be thwarted by these little upstarts, we won Division Two the next season. Now we'd show the upstarts who were the big club. But oh no, as we finished a comfortable 15th, the little club reached seventh and the upstarts beat the champions, Liverpool, in the FA Cup Final to equal our single triumph back in 1946. But never mind, they didn't make it into Europe because of the Heysel Stadium ban on English clubs. In that first game at Pride Park we turned the screw on the upstarts and victory seemed ours for the taking as we led 2-1 after 56 minutes. But then the lights went out and Joe Kinnear and his team took the piss out of us as the game was abandoned at Pride Dark, much to the amusement of the rest of the football world. But never mind, the 'massive' club was back.

At that time, Morecambe were just four tiers below us in the Conference. Burton and Forest Green Rovers were five tiers below in the Southern Premier League (where Mickleover play now). Accrington were a similar way behind in the Northern Premier League and they could even afford to drop down a division in 2000. As for bloody Fleetwood, they were playing in the North West Counties League - the 10th tier of the English league system. But never mind after their 25 years of over-achievement and continual success and our similar period of under-achievement and failure (save for our rise back to the Premier League when we got the 11 points to secure the prize of becoming forever known as 'the worst team in history') we can still look down on them all because we are bigger than them. 'Derby are Massive wherever we go' don't forget. I just hope we never get to sing that in Division Two.

I wonder if these minnows have the temerity to laugh at us like we laugh at them. No, I don't think so, it's too soon for them to have forgotten their humble roots. We've long forgotten how to be humble. I wonder why we are so unpopular nowadays in the football world? Never mind those lovely fans from Exeter City were very polite to us on Tuesday night; they were so nice to us I wondered what was wrong with them. But then again, Accrington, except for their manager, are like that to us too. More strange people.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

7 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

What a great leveller football really is. It doesn't seem too long ago that we were moving into our lovely all-seater 33k capacity purpose built stadium as we looked down from the giddy heights of the Premier League on the rest of the football world taking the piss out all those minnows below us. For our first league game in our own new home we welcomed Wimbledon FC's Crazy Gang. They had entered the EFL from the Southern League in 1977-78 when we were still in the First Division, having become Champions of England for the second time just three years before. As we dropped down from the Second to the Third Division in 1983-84, Wimbledon passed us on the way as they were promoted to take our place in Division Two. Then in the next season as we were failing to get out of Division Three, but taking the piss out of the other 23 clubs in our Division, little old Wimbledon finished halfway in Division Two. But never mind, we were soon on their heels the next season as we made our way back up to Division Two but the Crazy Gang were not there to meet us; as we finished third in Division Three, Wimbledon did the same in Division Two to reach the top tier. Not to be thwarted by these little upstarts, we won Division Two the next season. Now we'd show the upstarts who were the big club. But oh no, as we finished a comfortable 15th, the little club reached seventh and the upstarts beat the champions, Liverpool, in the FA Cup Final to equal our single triumph back in 1946. But never mind, they didn't make it into Europe because of the Heysel Stadium ban on English clubs. In that first game at Pride Park we turned the screw on the upstarts and victory seemed ours for the taking as we led 2-1 after 56 minutes. But then the lights went out and Joe Kinnear and his team took the piss out of us as the game was abandoned at Pride Dark, much to the amusement of the rest of the football world. But never mind, the 'massive' club was back.

At that time, Morecambe were just four tiers below us in the Conference. Burton and Forest Green Rovers were five tiers below in the Southern Premier League (where Mickleover play now). Accrington were a similar way behind in the Northern Premier League and they could even afford to drop down a division in 2000. As for bloody Fleetwood, they were playing in the North West Counties League - the 10th tier of the English league system. But never mind after their 25 years of over-achievement and continual success and our similar period of under-achievement and failure (save for our rise back to the Premier League when we got the 11 points to secure the prize of becoming forever known as 'the worst team in history') we can still look down on them all because we are bigger than them. 'Derby are Massive wherever we go' don't forget. I just hope we never get to sing that in Division Two.

I wonder if these minnows have the temerity to laugh at us like we laugh at them. No, I don't think so, it's too soon for them to have forgotten their humble roots. We've long forgotten how to be humble. I wonder why we are so unpopular nowadays in the football world? Never mind those lovely fans from Exeter City were very polite to us on Tuesday night; they were so nice to us I wondered what was wrong with them. But then again, Accrington, except for their manager, are like that to us too. More strange people.

Oh come on, it's a bit of bantz! You don't think they all laughed at our fall? Of course they did and who blames them... 

Edited by RoyMac5

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh come on, it's a bit of bantz! You don't think they all laughed at our fall? Of course they did and who blames them... 

Rare occasion I actually agree with you.

I would happily shake the hand of a Burton fan and talk football over a pint, not in Burton though that place stinks.

Absolutely no hostility here at all.

I absolutely will take the piss though and engage in some gentle ribbing. It's all part of the beautiful game.

If any Burton fans are genuinely upset by my comments, I'd like to take this chance...

IMG_0110.gif

1 hour ago, David said:

Rare occasion I actually agree with you.

I would happily shake the hand of a Burton fan and talk football over a pint, not in Burton though that place stinks.

Absolutely no hostility here at all.

I absolutely will take the piss though and engage in some gentle ribbing. It's all part of the beautiful game.

If any Burton fans are genuinely upset by my comments, I'd like to take this chance...

IMG_0110.gif

Agree entirely with what you say, I have been sat in pubs in the North, the South and everywhere in between since last July, drinking and talking football with fans.

Only time I can remember having an actual argument was Wycombe, for obvious reasons.

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ducking hate this game. The entire of Burton Albion’s existence revolves around it. The height of their ambition is beating us. They’ll Turn up and play the best they’ve ever played because it’s their Champions League final. 

Teams don't always play well in finals.  Sometimes the occasion is too big for them.  Let's hope that's the case Saturday.

6 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Agree entirely with what you say, I have been sat in pubs in the North, the South and everywhere in between since last July, drinking and talking football with fans.

Only time I can remember having an actual argument was Wycombe, for obvious reasons.

At Juventus in 1973, Brian Clough told Brian Glanville to interpret for him to the Italian press "I do not talk to cheating b******s."

We were all quite rightly behind him because he was right. The Wycombe fans had the same opinion of what Mel Morris did to them but you had cause to argue with them. Cloughie would have loved you not because he stuck by his principles.

Wycombe had the same right to view us as we quite righteously viewed Juventus but you think otherwise.

Edited by Brailsford Ram