Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

8 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

What a great leveller football really is. It doesn't seem too long ago that we were moving into our lovely all-seater 33k capacity purpose built stadium as we looked down from the giddy heights of the Premier League on the rest of the football world taking the piss out all those minnows below us. For our first league game in our own new home we welcomed Wimbledon FC's Crazy Gang. They had entered the EFL from the Southern League in 1977-78 when we were still in the First Division, having become Champions of England for the second time just three years before. As we dropped down from the Second to the Third Division in 1983-84, Wimbledon passed us on the way as they were promoted to take our place in Division Two. Then in the next season as we were failing to get out of Division Three, but taking the piss out of the other 23 clubs in our Division, little old Wimbledon finished halfway in Division Two. But never mind, we were soon on their heels the next season as we made our way back up to Division Two but the Crazy Gang were not there to meet us; as we finished third in Division Three, Wimbledon did the same in Division Two to reach the top tier. Not to be thwarted by these little upstarts, we won Division Two the next season. Now we'd show the upstarts who were the big club. But oh no, as we finished a comfortable 15th, the little club reached seventh and the upstarts beat the champions, Liverpool, in the FA Cup Final to equal our single triumph back in 1946. But never mind, they didn't make it into Europe because of the Heysel Stadium ban on English clubs. In that first game at Pride Park we turned the screw on the upstarts and victory seemed ours for the taking as we led 2-1 after 56 minutes. But then the lights went out and Joe Kinnear and his team took the piss out of us as the game was abandoned at Pride Dark, much to the amusement of the rest of the football world. But never mind, the 'massive' club was back.

At that time, Morecambe were just four tiers below us in the Conference. Burton and Forest Green Rovers were five tiers below in the Southern Premier League (where Mickleover play now). Accrington were a similar way behind in the Northern Premier League and they could even afford to drop down a division in 2000. As for bloody Fleetwood, they were playing in the North West Counties League - the 10th tier of the English league system. But never mind after their 25 years of over-achievement and continual success and our similar period of under-achievement and failure (save for our rise back to the Premier League when we got the 11 points to secure the prize of becoming forever known as 'the worst team in history') we can still look down on them all because we are bigger than them. 'Derby are Massive wherever we go' don't forget. I just hope we never get to sing that in Division Two.

I wonder if these minnows have the temerity to laugh at us like we laugh at them. No, I don't think so, it's too soon for them to have forgotten their humble roots. We've long forgotten how to be humble. I wonder why we are so unpopular nowadays in the football world? Never mind those lovely fans from Exeter City were very polite to us on Tuesday night; they were so nice to us I wondered what was wrong with them. But then again, Accrington, except for their manager, are like that to us too. More strange people.

No need to stick up for the runts of the litter.  They have their own thoughts on clubs far bigger than they are.

Oxford, Cambridge, Port Vale going down would be worth celebrating. All joke clubs.

On 19/04/2023 at 17:26, RadioactiveWaste said:

Surely the biggest problem with Burton fans is getting them to go back to Burton after the game?

Dazzled by the bright lights of the big city you mean ? 

looking forward to it with trepidation, we never seem to win these, time for a change I hope.

On 19/04/2023 at 17:35, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Forsyth   Davies   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Roberts

Mendez-Laing   Sibley

McGoldrick

Subs: McGee, Rooney, Smith, White, Barkhuizen, Dobbin, Collins

Do we really need 3 centre halves to mark one 10th choice Florists striker? We need goals , at least 3 . They will “Park the bus”. Let’s go with 2 strikers , I’m sure Cashin can deal with Dale Taylor on his own.

8 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Do we really need 3 centre halves to mark one 10th choice Florists striker? We need goals , at least 3 . They will “Park the bus”. Let’s go with 2 strikers , I’m sure Cashin can deal with Dale Taylor on his own.

In open play yes, but they have some power at set pieces and having Davies may strengthen us.

That lineup looks okay as long as the team presses forward.

Knight and Roberts both have the engine to get forward and back.

Over the years I have seen some shocking stuff written on here. Conceited, condescending, biased, self deluding claptrap. But never, ever anything quite as bad as this thread - get a grip on yourselves. You are playing in a local derby (yes it is one) against a tiny team 12.7 miles down the road, who over the last 2 decades have massively punched ahead of their weight. Please try to find some humility and modesty as human beings. 

15 minutes ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Over the years I have seen some shocking stuff written on here. Conceited, condescending, biased, self deluding claptrap. But never, ever anything quite as bad as this thread - get a grip on yourselves. You are playing in a local derby (yes it is one) against a tiny team 12.7 miles down the road, who over the last 2 decades have massively punched ahead of their weight. Please try to find some humility and modesty as human beings. 

Nah.  I flush more relevant stuff away every morning.

I understand that we are not historic rivals with Derby which is fine but please you thick lot do not deny it's a local derby.

They really do wind me up(as you can tell!) and as Kevin Keegan once said "I would love it we beat them. LOVE IT!!"

COYB!!!

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952hxfdch8h26ziyd3z5h

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

I have no animosity at all towards Burton Albion, in fact when they’re not playing us I like to see them doing well. The difference between how I feel about Burton Albion and how I feel about the gumps is enormous. I don’t know any Rams fans who’s feelings aren’t similar.

Surely people can see that most of the negativity in this thread is joking?

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

With a combined age of about 100 probably.

4 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I have no animosity at all towards Burton Albion, in fact when they’re not playing us I like to see them doing well. The difference between how I feel about Burton Albion and how I feel about the gumps is enormous. I don’t know any Rams fans who’s feelings aren’t similar.

Surely people can see that most of the negativity in this thread is joking?

I think that’s the problem, they can’t see it.

1 hour ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Would it be a local derby if we played Mickleover? Just because it's a town local to us doesn't automatically make it a derby. A derby implies a rivalry, typically due to playing each other on a regular basis.
We have only played Burton 5 times in competitive matches. 14.4 miles on foot between stadiums. Notts County's ground is only a tiny bit further away at 15.5 miles. We've played them 60 times in competitive matches, yet never in a million years would I consider that to be a local derby.

This is Burton's cup final, just like it has been for 15 other sides in the league this season.

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it. Burton have also scored 8 goals against Bolton, Sheff Weds, Barnsley and Peterborough in recent weeks.
Many would actually argue 343 is more attacking than any other formation (352, 442, 4231, 433, etc). In a 343, you have the 3 attackers very central, 2 wing backs pushing high up the pitch and the CMs supporting

What makes me chuckle about some of the comments on their forum is they really are worried. Some say they don’t like us and that we are a village side etc etc by saying that they are admitting to themselves we are true rivals which I’m very proud of thanks a lot guys. We are no longer the mate next door sharing stewards we are true rivals now according to them. How far we’ve come . And also more important how far they have really fallen. Burton Albion local derby and RIVAL Coming up from the south coast for this Local Derby COYB

901f2eb52d42b4e4811a7db031bbfeca_w200.gi

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would it be a local derby if we played Mickleover?

I'd say it would, as Mickleover is now part of the City of Derby, and so a game between the two clubs would satisfy the original meaning of a 'local derby' I think. I'd expect it'd be a friendlier rivalry than Derby/Burton now appears to be, particularly now that Mel isn't our owner. Sports are FC United to our Man U 😉

2 hours ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

image.png.83878238f8260876cc317ee04df80b47.png

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Let’s just win the game and not worry about goals, that will do me just fine…