Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

On 22/04/2023 at 23:01, Jourdan said:

Massive credit has to go to Warne, his coaches, and the players for finding the character and the nerve to bounce back and earn two big wins.

Don’t get carried away. It’s taken most of the season to find a combination of players and formation that has us playing good football much of the time and looking stable at the back. Happy to give them credit for getting us out of the slump but we have to hope it’s not too little too late 

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

They’ve only got 3 pages on their match day thread. Tells you all you need to know

I thought their comments on the game were fine and fair. They should have scored early doors and then it would have been a potentially different game. They defended well and I thought were a decent side. I thought it was a penalty and we were the better side.

I have never had an issue with Burton and I guess I don’t see them as a rival bar playing in the same league. 

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

They’ve only got 3 pages on their match day thread. Tells you all you need to know

Unfortunately, they are right, we do have some embarrassing individuals in this website. Burton were generally very dignified in their defeat, played the game fairly and I do not see why anyone should have any issues with a Club that is run very well.

3 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

I thought their comments on the game were fine and fair. They should have scored early doors and then it would have been a potentially different game. They defended well and I thought were a decent side. I thought it was a penalty and we were the better side.

I have never had an issue with Burton and I guess I don’t see them as a rival bar playing in the same league. 

I see them the same way I see Leicester. An insignificant club that I wouldn’t have any issue with, if their fans weren’t trying to force some artificial “Derby”. They don’t mean anything to me other than that annoyance.

Edited by Millenniumram

Easily one of the worst teams I've seen at our place all year, maybe due to them being all but safe and foot has gone off the gas. Could've scored after Davies' wafting his leg about, and then had a header second half from a corner but beyond that, never ever looked like troubling us. We wasn't all that, but it was one of those where if we had scored first half that game ends 3 or 4 nil and no one thinks twice.

Still can't abide by this formation with the players we have. At least with the players played this time we didn't have NML wasted at wing back and Collins ambling around up front.

20 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t get carried away. It’s taken most of the season to find a combination of players and formation that has us playing good football much of the time and looking stable at the back. Happy to give them credit for getting us out of the slump but we have to hope it’s not too little too late 

Who is getting carried away?

Read my post again - I said we still have work to do and we have to expect Peterborough will push us all the way.

It’s taken us most of the season to find what, sorry? Didn’t we go unbeaten from October onwards for several months and play our best football of the season during this period?

In any case, surely time to gel, time to find consistency and so on comes with the territory when you’ve assembled an entire squad in a matter of weeks and hired a permanent manager towards the end of September?

All I am saying is Warne and the players deserve credit for recovering our position when everything seemed to be against us.

How would it be too little too late? Our fate is in our own hands and we can still conceivably finish 5th or 6th and go up through the play-offs. If anything, we are rediscovering our form and energy reserves at just the right time - we only have a maximum of 5 games in the next 35 days.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Who is getting carried away?

Read my post again - I said we still have work to do and we have to expect Peterborough will push us all the way.

It’s taken us most of the season to find what, sorry? Didn’t we go unbeaten from October onwards for several months and play our best football of the season during this period?

I was responding to your ‘massive credit to Warne etc’ comment. 

I think the team selection and set up in these last 3 games has been better than during our unbeaten run and gives us a good chance of top 6 and promotion. It has more players doing what they are good at and it makes best use of the experience in the squad. The main thrust of my post was that it’s taken Warne a long time to find it. 

On 23/04/2023 at 15:32, Mikeyboy1963 said:

But where would the 4 goals have come from? The Sky stats tell the true story - clear cut chances 0 and 0. Just a dodgy penalty separated us. 

3C33F8EC-2ED6-41F6-BA16-0B2F40AB55FC.png

The Sky stats tell the true story? So when their player was clean through and hit the post that was not a clear cut chance?

Sometimes its worth trusting what your own eyes see rather than letting Sky tell you what has happened.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think the team selection and set up in these last 3 games has been better than during our unbeaten run and gives us a good chance of top 6 and promotion. It has more players doing what they are good at and it makes best use of the experience in the squad. The main thrust of my post was that it’s taken Warne a long time to find it. 

Yeah I think (although it's yet to be proven, either way) that our current setup does provide / would have provided us with an improved chance against the better teams.

We did play pretty well during our unbeaten run - although it doesn't quite stand up to the unbeaten runs other teams have gone on  - but some of the results covered over a number of cracks in our performances, which were later exposed. Same could be said for Sheff Weds if their recent form isn't a fluke downturn.

I'm not dismissing an unbeaten run as an easy thing to achieve, and how our run stacks up against those teams above us isn't really a surprise and is largely to be expected but it has been overstated a little bit IMO.

Barnsley - 12 games, 32 points. 2.67 ppg. 50% of games were against teams currently occupying a top half position, 17% were against those currently in a relegation spot.

Ipswich (run still ongoing) - 16 games, 40 points. 2.5 ppg. 38% of games against teams currently occupying a top half position. 25% against those currently in a relegation spot.

Sheff Weds - 23 games, 55 points. 2.39 ppg. 48% of games were against teams currently occupying a top half position, 17% were against those currently in a relegation spot.

Derby - 15 games, 33 points. 2.20 ppg. 27% of games were against teams currently occupying a top half position, 33% were against those currently in a relegation spot.

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 24/04/2023 at 11:41, On the Ram Page said:

Unfortunately, they are right, we do have some embarrassing individuals in this website. Burton were generally very dignified in their defeat, played the game fairly and I do not see why anyone should have any issues with a Club that is run very well.

You missed the Burton time wasting from the off, then. Horrible.

17 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well I don’t know if that’s really true.

Warne has been charge for 80% of the league campaign, yes, but critically without a pre-season.

Maybe with a pre-season he would have done things differently and had more time to really nail down a good balance between what he wants and what the players are suited to.

I think next season is really the time to judge. Anything that happens now in the next 2-5 games is just a bonus.

On 23/04/2023 at 15:32, Mikeyboy1963 said:

But where would the 4 goals have come from? The Sky stats tell the true story - clear cut chances 0 and 0. Just a dodgy penalty separated us. 

3C33F8EC-2ED6-41F6-BA16-0B2F40AB55FC.png

So Barkhuisen 1 on 1 at the end wasn’t a clear cut chance? Really?