Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

It's not a huge town but the support should be better than it is. It is an unassuming, small club which has a significant community involvement. They are not the 'runts of the litter', the 'dross' as suggested on this thread. Shame on those who posted those unkind comments.

I feel no shame whatsoever.  Have a quick gander at the runts forum .  Not exactly lilywhite. 

6 hours ago, Miggins said:

Although i  have lived in Derbyshire for all of my adult life and I am a rams supporter I was born and brought up in Burton and I have a huge fondest for the place, I was born in a nursing home between the breweries and the marmite factory and I have always associated the 'smell' with home. My family still live nearby and though my first team is Derby I maintain an interest and a pride in the brewers. I look after my mum and I travel through Burton 4 days a week. It may well be looking run down at present, but show me a town centre which isn't. It's my home town and seeing it sneered at on this thread makes me sad. It isn't a joke at all and this negativity is nasty.

Well said mate. Burton's a good town with good people. There's more Derby fans than Brewers fans live there. I lived in Branston for 15 years and still visit friends there regularly. The pub music scene is still better than Derby and the pubs themselves still do the country's brewing capital proud. Other than Derby fans, fans from Birmingham, Villa, Wolves, Leicester and Stoke are prominent there. Despite this, Albion has tripled its fanbase since Nigel Clough and ultimately Roy McFarland took them into the EFL.

Burton Albion is still only 70 years old but from the outset it had close links to the Rams; from our Cup-winning team, Sammy Crookes (who missed the final through injury) managed them and Jackie Stamps and Jack Howe played for them. Peter Taylor and later Steve Powell managed them. Many other Derby players played for them; notably Kevin Hector, Les Green, Frank Wignall, Martin Taylor and Jake Buxton.

Brian Clough was of course a regular attender in the years before he died.

Ours was a close association with Burton until they got the better of us in three games in the EFL at the Pirelli. Now they're just another small club for many amongst us to ridicule.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

18 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Your post made me Google: “famous people from Burton”.  The response from Delphi ...

Who is the most famous person from Burton?

Richard Burton is the most famous person with last name Burton.

"Two Richard Burtons, there's only two Richard Burtons..."*

*One could allegedly "play " in many different positions. The other just played in different roles.

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Ours was a close association with Burton until they got the better of us in three games in the EFL at the Pirelli. Now they're just another small club for many amongst us to ridicule.

I don't think playing a pre season friendly, taking their manager and signing our cast offs ever made it a "close association", come on now 😂

Maybe on a personal level for some, but many also have had no interest in them for a long long time, absolutely nothing to do with recent games.

If anything, look outside here and you will see them trying to big this up as some kind of rivalry, Leicester fans on a much smaller smellier scale.

In response to all the soft talk over Burton.

When the handful Burton fans start singing “Derby’s a poo hole, I want to go home” today, which they will, it’s the generic away fan chant, will those on here upset by the comments on Burton be equally offended by such vile chanting about the city of Derby?

Or will you just brush it off, call it football banter?

I suspect the latter. As you should.

For those with fond childhood memories of Burton, great, I have fond childhood memories of pink custard. I won’t sit on here and be offended by those that wish to mock my pink custard, nor will I attempt to force some kind of close connection to all of our childhoods with pink custard as it simply won’t be there for some.

I was born in Derby, lived there for the first 17 years or so of my life, I have zero connection to Burton as a town. The only memories I have is holding my nose as we passed through. That smell might trigger fond memories, as does the fresh smell of fish in Grimsby, it is a smell though and just like aftershave, perfumes and flowers, we all either love or hate the smell. I hate the smell.

I have never been to a Burton game because Derby were away.

I did not like the appointment of Nigel Clough from day 1.

I do not like having to hear about Burton Albion on Radio Derby.

I did not feel any special connection over a pre season friendly, likewise with Mickleover Sports, Alfreton Town, Chesterfield and all these smaller clubs around us.

So I personally won’t sit here and fake some kind of relationship with the town or club and if that offends anyone, well I don’t know what to say. Maybe look away until this game is over if it’s that distressing for you.

Go listen to their manager trying to talk this game up as a local Derby, a rivalry, doesn’t sound like a brother and sister close relationship from their side.

If I was to talk about having a close connection to our genuine rivals Forest, being offended when anyone mocks the city or how many fingers they have, I would be laughed out of here. 

It’s just a town, it’s just football and it’s having a laugh.

For those might be unaware, I met @Boycie over on a Forest forum where we were taking the piss, from that this forum was born.

We had a similar sense of humour, enjoyed the ribbing and wanted that humorous atmosphere. Whilst I appreciate since then the forum has blown up and others do not wish to come here for any kind of humour, that is the roots of this forum. Chill out a bit, it’s really not that serious.

Strangely enough, there is a world outside of social media where proper football fans exist and we have a bit of respect for fans of all clubs. 

I don't get this searching out the negative comments. It's a bit like if people came on here and just selected the views of one or two of our more vitriolic posters. They are in no way reflective of the majority of posters. 

I'll be upset if we lose to Burton today but it won't be because of their fans. If Derby are going to be taken seriously as a force again  we're going to have to learn to deal with teams who are up for it because of who we are.

9 minutes ago, David said:

When the handful Burton fans start singing “Derby’s a poo hole, I want to go home” today, which they will, it’s the generic away fan chant, will those on here upset by the comments on Burton be equally offended by such vile chanting about the city of Derby?

For those with fond childhood memories of Burton, great, I have fond childhood memories of pink custard. I won’t sit on here and be offended by those that wish to mock my pink custard, nor will I attempt to force some kind of close connection to all of our childhoods with pink custard as it simply won’t be there for some.

I was born in Derby, lived there for the first 17 years or so of my life, I have zero connection to Burton as a town. The only memories I have is holding my nose as we passed through. That smell might trigger fond memories, as does the fresh smell of fish in Grimsby, it is a smell though and just like aftershave, perfumes and flowers, we all either love or hate the smell. I hate the smell.

I did not feel any special connection over a pre season friendly, likewise with Mickleover Sports, Alfreton Town, Chesterfield and all these smaller clubs around us.

So I personally won’t sit here and fake some kind of relationship with the town or club and if that offends anyone, well I don’t know what to say. Maybe look away until this game is over if it’s that distressing for you.

Go listen to their manager trying to talk this game up as a local Derby, a rivalry, doesn’t sound like a brother and sister close relationship from their side.

If I was to talk about having a close connection to our genuine rivals Forest, being offended when anyone mocks the city or how many fingers they have, I would be laughed out of here. 

For those might be unaware, I met @Boycie over on a Forest forum where we were taking the piss, from that this forum was born.

We had a similar sense of humour, enjoyed the ribbing and wanted that humorous atmosphere. Whilst I appreciate since then the forum has blown up and others do not wish to come here for any kind of humour, that is the roots of this forum. Chill out a bit, it’s really not that serious.

Don’t start bringing Alfreton Town into this. 😛

My home town club. Didn’t have a distinctive smell when I was there. Having said that I do remember a couple of Notts Forest fans I knew.

12 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Absolutely hope we smash Burton, highly unlikely, so I’ll just settle for a win.

Burton used to be like a 2nd team, like a few Derby fans in the past, i’d watch them if the Rams were playing miles away or had no game BUT my kids, going to school in Burton summed up the rivalry now; ever since the Brewers made the championship, a few younger fans started going and forgot are friendlier past, trying to create a rivalry that just isn’t there for most Rams fans. 

Burton have a good chairman, they’ve been well run but some of their new generation of fans deserve to be labelled tin pot. So now, just like my lads I hope we put them down a few pegs. 

I’m exactly the same. Used to have a soft spot for them. When I was too young to follow Derby away, I’d occasionally go to the Pirelli on a Saturday.

Then some of their fans became unbearable when they were rising up the leagues and we were trying and failing to get to the Premier League.

I hope we tonk them.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Strangely enough, there is a world outside of social media where proper football fans exist and we have a bit of respect for fans of all clubs. 

I don't get this searching out the negative comments. It's a bit like if people came on here and just selected the views of one or two of our more vitriolic posters. They are in no way reflective of the majority of posters. 

I'll be upset if we lose to Burton today but it won't be because of their fans. If Derby are going to be taken seriously as a force again  we're going to have to learn to deal with teams who are up for it because of who we are.

Yeah, a rivalry with burton really isn’t happening is it. Like you say comments online hardly reflective of reality.

Am from burton, more people support derby here than burton. And by a long way.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m exactly the same. Used to have a soft spot for them. When I was too young to follow Derby away, I’d occasionally go to the Pirelli on a Saturday.

Then some of their fans became unbearable when they were rising up the leagues and we were trying and failing to get to the Premier League.

I hope we tonk them.

I hope we tonk them as well!

unbearable seems a bit much though, burton are very easy to ignore.

38 minutes ago, David said:

I hated pink custard at school, now you have brought back that horrible taste into my head and the trauma of being made to eat it by that nasty dinner lady, thanks for ruining my life.

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I hope we tonk them.

Based on social media posts I find some of our fans unbearable at times 😀

It is like it or not a local derby, they are near neighbours, but they aren’t really rivals.  I would feel the same if we were playing Notts County.

I always take an interest in their results, and I am glad when they do well.

Despite the disparaging comments on here they are a well run little club, even though one of the waitresses poured a pint down a guy eating at the same table as me at the return fixture 😂.

Some of the folks on their forum have us down as “cheats” etc.  Now you can excuse the ignorance of other clubs not within our area, or the shear bitterness of Gumps, but given the fact that we share coverage on local radio, and we are so close geographically makes that kind of crap inexcusable…

If we win, I will be happy just for the three points and having seen us win at home, I won’t feel any bragging rights, I just don’t see Burton that way.

It’s no local Derby for me it’s just like playing Leicester - it’s a game against a side that’s not far away 

in fact I live in Mickleover and it’s easier to actually get to Burtons ground than Derby on a busy Saturday