Style of football?

Dcfcsr92

Can anyone please explain the style of play warnes trying to play? As week in, week out you know what we are going to do but theres no natural flow to our game its just like a sunday morning team! There's no passion from management and a handful on the pitch! We are too negative, way too defensive! We have gone backwards since warne has come in! Even nigel Clough had us playing better then this! Its a f***ing joke

7 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Can anyone please explain the style of play warnes trying to play? As week in, week out you know what we are going to do but theres no natural flow to our game its just like a sunday morning team! There's no passion from management and a handful on the pitch! We are too negative, way too defensive! We have gone backwards since warne has come in! Even nigel Clough had us playing better then this! Its a f***ing joke

I did prefer Liam Rosenior style of play and with the players he recruited, given more time it would have got better. Since being at Hull City his league results are not outstanding, but he took on a struggling team that were one point off relegation but in his 21 league matches in charge, Hull have only lost 5 times and are currently 9 points clear of relegation. Building from the back, keeping possesion, having more possession means the opponents don't have the ball to hurt you.

19 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Weird post - your opening gambit asking what our style of play is then you proceed to take the rest of your post detailing what our style of play is (according to you)

We look so much better when we play with the ball on the floor, all our positive play today was from passing the ball from the defence and using the passing ability of our midfielders. Yet we seem to spend half the time slinging the ball for Collins or Mcgoldrick in the air when neither of them ever look like winning it, doesn’t make sense

40 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I did prefer Liam Rosenior style of play and with the players he recruited, given more time it would have got better. Since being at Hull City his league results are not outstanding, but he took on a struggling team that were one point off relegation but in his 21 league matches in charge, Hull have only lost 5 times and are currently 9 points clear of relegation. Building from the back, keeping possesion, having more possession means the opponents don't have the ball to hurt you.

agreed and i think the higher you go in the leagues the more possession football becomes relevant.

how far realistically can warne's football take us? 

i dont wanna knock the guy as i think hes doing an okay job, but there will come a point where his football will only take you so far. 

49 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Building from the back, keeping possesion, having more possession means the opponents don't have the ball to hurt you.

We generally have way more possession than teams we play under Warne. 
I don’t necessarily think that statements true either, given that we concede goals from our own corners! 

I think either style would work if your players apply themselves. We’re way off it. 

Too slow, too predictable. No-one showing for a quick bowl out by Wildsmith, a la Ipswich’s opener. Slow, back-and-forth across the back line that’s easy to defend and means the ball eventually comes back or we try to force the forward ball and lose possession. Acres of space at times in midfield for players to carry the ball forward. Thought there were more similarities than differences between a PW and LR side today!

Can we please stop scrutinising Warne! Look at it this way. David Clowes has put faith in Warne to get us up and given him a big contract. He’s had his hands tied this year and will in the summer. Let’s get behind the team and Warne, instead of finding fault at every available opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We generally have way more possession than teams we play under Warne. 
I don’t necessarily think that statements true either, given that we concede goals from our own corners! 

I think either style would work if your players apply themselves. We’re way off it. 

I would'nt use the words "way more possession" today's game we had 56%, Peterboro 58% and Fleetwood 56% and thats not way more in my thoughts. 73% against Lincoln (14th Feb) was probably our best in recent months and that was a crap performance that ended 1-1 even after 21 shots at goal.

Conceding goals from our own corners, can't be classed has having possession when you pump a ball into the 6 yard box, unless you take a short corner to keep possession.

7 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I would'nt use the words "way more possession" today's game we had 56%, Peterboro 58% and Fleetwood 56% and thats not way more in my thoughts. 73% against Lincoln (14th Feb) was probably our best in recent months and that was a crap performance that ended 1-1 even after 21 shots at goal.

Conceding goals from our own corners, can't be classed has having possession when you pump a ball into the 6 yard box, unless you take a short corner to keep possession.

It’s more than enough though. We’re third on average in the league, which I think is good enough for this team and manger given the circumstances. The use of that possession however… 

The corner thing was a tongue in cheek jibe at our own failings - having the ball at the furthest away possible distance from our goal and still conceding. It’s clearly not “safe” possession for us. 

I’m Warne’s biggest critic, but he ain’t negative. In fact he’s the opposite, bordering on suicide which is why we concede so many on the counter.

The style of play is run a lot. He sees football as basically being about athletes. The opposite of the way I see it. Football is the beautiful game, pass and move, not just launch it. It’s about tactics, not just hitting the ball in at the first opportunity and hoping for the best. I’ll never warm to him, no matter how many bobble hats he wears.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m Warne’s biggest critic, but he ain’t negative. In fact he’s the opposite, bordering on suicide which is why we concede so many on the counter.

The style of play is run a lot. He sees football as basically being about athletes. The opposite of the way I see it. Football is the beautiful game, pass and move, not just launch it. It’s about tactics, not just hitting the ball in at the first opportunity and hoping for the best. I’ll never warm to him, no matter how many bobble hats he wears.

You say that its about running alot but we sit deep and have barely no press, you look at ipswich press compared to ours its unreal! When we press it knight running round like a headless chicken, Ipswich press they all press the feont 3 are closing all of our space! I feel like warne needs to sort it soon because derby fans are not going to accept this for much longer

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

You say that its about running alot but we sit deep and have barely no press, you look at ipswich press compared to ours its unreal! When we press it knight running round like a headless chicken, Ipswich press they all press the feont 3 are closing all of our space! I feel like warne needs to sort it soon because derby fans are not going to accept this for much longer

Hirst (24), Chaplin (26), Burns (28) and Broadhead (24). You're just not going to get the same out of Didzy (34), Collins (32) and NML (30). Knight is the only one who presses well and it's not really surprising is it? He's 22. You're comparing apples to pears.

The last statement is just mental really isn't it. Warne won't be able to do anymore with our press until he's able to bring in some players who can do it for 90 mins. 

11 hours ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

We look so much better when we play with the ball on the floor, all our positive play today was from passing the ball from the defence and using the passing ability of our midfielders. Yet we seem to spend half the time slinging the ball for Collins or Mcgoldrick in the air when neither of them ever look like winning it, doesn’t make sense

I actually thought McGoldrick won a lot of his aerial battles yesterday, unfortunately he was flicking it on to Collins who has a habit of always being in the wrong place.

Conversely I dont remember Collins winning hardly any of his aerial battles.

We don't press as a unit even when we're fit and 'on it' though, we press as individuals. There's no intelligence to it.

It's looking more and more like 11 men just thrown onto the pitch in a formation of your choosing with their brains full of buzzwords rather than a proper plan of action.

There's no obvious signs that we're looking at the specific skillets of each player and coming up with a strategy to suit, every player is just expected to perform a certain, very rigid,  role in the system.

We'll 'get there' eventually but it won't be pretty when we do.

Yes Ipswich were dynamic in their approach to the game, they were physically stronger and quicker than us for much of the game. 

The thing the wrist slashers and manager out sections amongst us, seem to be ignoring is the fact we had a perfectly good goal disallowed. How the game would have unfolded at 1-1, no one can say. 

If we had finished with a one all result, against what some believe to be the best team in the division, how many unused sharp objects would still be safely packed away in the bathroom cabinet

Lets also remember this was against a team that was strengthened in the January transfer window, is on a good run of form and is being predicted by some pundits to be top of the division come the end of the season.

Will the aforementioned sections please sit back and take a moment to reflect on where we as a football club are right now. We could easily not have a club to moan about.

Yes I, like every Derby fan wants to see us play sparkling football, to return to the Championship and higher as quickly as possible. But we are where we are, having to cope with the severe transfer restrictions imposed on upon the club.

For a team that was cobbled together of nothing at the start of the season, has it over or under achieved? 

I'm happy we are even in the mix for the chance of getting promotion. At the start of the season I just hoped we wouldn't be dragged into a relegation dog fight and been content for us to see the season out in mid-table mediocrity. Giving the club time to reorganize after a traumatic few years.