Style of football?

Dcfcsr92

Well quite. If our goal had stood nobody can say how the game would have panned out.

It stands to reason though that the team in automatic promotion form with all these younger players, playing against a team in poor form with a knackered old squad would likely have reacted to conceding an equaliser by making a couple of changes, upping their efforts and going on to win the game despite the setback.

If the equaliser had stood and the game finished 1-1 it would have been a very good point, but it would only be papering over some increasingly large cracks.

If we keep giving ourselves a mountain to climb by not first and foremost attempting to be solid defensively we'll keep needing to claw our way back into games, we'll keep being at the mercy of referees, but there's a limit to how many times you can do that and a very obvious problem with the reliability of said referees!

I don't want Warne sacked, he needs time and his own players to see if he can emulate his success in the league with Rotherham, but the long term future under him - once we do get out of this league -  has been sold on the premise that the only reason he played the way he played at Rotherham and the reason they were so utterly hopeless in the Championship under him was to do with  their budget being in the bottom six for that league.

The hope is that with a bigger budget he can adapt his way of playing to suit different types of players, that he isn't simply stuck in his ways regardless of the squad available to him, that he isn't a one trick pony.

The problem is with every passing  game, every poor performance, every non-reaction to an opposition manager making changes etc that vision of him adapting looks less and less likely.

I'm not ruling it out yet, but there needs to be some proof of concept and we're not being shown it right now. 

That isn't to say that there's not another way - that we can't go up playing this  style of football and have success with it in the league above by buying better players, the ultimate versions of what Warne wants - but I think that's a less viable way of improving our long-term prospects than a future where he / we manage(s) to adapt.

You might think I'm getting way ahead of myself but you can't just ignore the long term because the short term needs sorting out first. Well you can, but it tends to come back and bite you on the arse.

We've brought in a manager with strong promotion credentials so I don't think talking about what happens after we're promoted is all that previous tbh, I trust Warne to get us up.

No matter where we found ourselves last year or how well we're doing now in that context, Derby fans aren't going to accept going up only to finish bottom of the Championship and going on the sort of 8-10 game losing streaks seen at Rotherham.

Edited by Kokosnuss

6 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hirst (24), Chaplin (26), Burns (28) and Broadhead (24). You're just not going to get the same out of Didzy (34), Collins (32) and NML (30). Knight is the only one who presses well and it's not really surprising is it? He's 22. You're comparing apples to pears.

The last statement is just mental really isn't it. Warne won't be able to do anymore with our press until he's able to bring in some players who can do it for 90 mins. 

Not going to adapt his style of play then?

17 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Warne picks his players based off who responds to his Watsapp posts.

Sibley, Barkhuizen etc need to be quicker to respond next week to be in with a shout of starting next week.

Barkhuizen struggles to get his message across in WhatsApp. He's proficient at messaging with his right hand but he's been told only to use his left.

😬

I think we saw it yesterday, but not for long. From roughly the 20 min mark to half time, we suffocated them by pressing well and winning the ball back high up the pitch. Bird and Smith were winning tackles and playing smart balls forwards. This resulted in Ipswich pelting the ball long and we used Cashin to switch the ball and tried to get crosses in.

But that's the problem. It worked for maybe 20 minutes out of 90, and even then we weren't exactly banging on the door. Plus, when they did break the press they scored fairly easily.

6 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hirst (24), Chaplin (26), Burns (28) and Broadhead (24). You're just not going to get the same out of Didzy (34), Collins (32) and NML (30). Knight is the only one who presses well and it's not really surprising is it? He's 22. You're comparing apples to pears.

The last statement is just mental really isn't it. Warne won't be able to do anymore with our press until he's able to bring in some players who can do it for 90 mins. 

Well play a different style of football to suit us instead 

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Well play a different style of football to suit us instead 

Literally got nothing to do with your "barely any press" post that I was replying to. Didzy doesn't all of a sudden start running the bleep test to finish because we're playing 442 and passive. He's 34 mate. 

2 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

I think we saw it yesterday, but not for long. From roughly the 20 min mark to half time, we suffocated them by pressing well and winning the ball back high up the pitch. Bird and Smith were winning tackles and playing smart balls forwards. This resulted in Ipswich pelting the ball long and we used Cashin to switch the ball and tried to get crosses in.

But that's the problem. It worked for maybe 20 minutes out of 90, and even then we weren't exactly banging on the door. Plus, when they did break the press they scored fairly easily.

Classic game management from an away side though, isn't it?

Get the lead, let the home team have their 'flurry' whilst keeping them at arms length, waste a bit of time and try to nick a further goal or two on the break.

The away team / fans think well that was easy, another team despatched whilst barely troubling us, the home fans think they gave it a really good go, were on the front foot and played pretty well.

Seen / experienced it hundreds of times.

On 01/04/2023 at 23:13, alram said:

agreed and i think the higher you go in the leagues the more possession football becomes relevant.

how far realistically can warne's football take us? 

i dont wanna knock the guy as i think hes doing an okay job, but there will come a point where his football will only take you so far. 

Probably not beyond L1 football.