Liam Thompson - Scunthorpe loan until end of season

Caerphilly Ram

10 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Jeez.....I'd have had him in our team for Sat. He looked sharp last time too.

I thought his cameo appearance a couple of games back was good. Warne doesn’t seem to want to use him much so I guess it makes sense to send him out for some first team football to aid development, however it’s one less body for the run in, at least central midfield is the one area we’re well stocked with bodies 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Gutted in a way, because I think he'd offer more skill and ball retention than some of our other players. He's also a good little ratter when needed.

Not much point him staying though when all Warne wants to do is change the wingers and keep playing down the channels. 

The thing is, in my opinion he ticks 2 key Warne boxes.
1. High work rate. This is supposedly Warne's key requirement from any player
2. Good range of passing. Warne apparently likes to mix it up, although in recent weeks it's been less of a mix and more hopeful punts.

We also have a small squad. The reluctance to use Tommo has been incredibly disappointing, especially when we've been missing our most important CM in recent weeks, our only experienced CM has been in desperate need of a rest for several games, and one of our other CMs was out injured for significant run of games.

Personally I would rather have seen one of our own young players get the odd appearance instead of those from other clubs. I think a loan should really be better than, and offer something different to, what you already have. I haven’t seen anything from Springett and White yet to suggest that they are/do. I like Thomson. Not been at the heights he hit last season but thought he did well the last time we saw him. Hope he does well. 

I probably sound like a broken record but I don’t get why he’s played quite so little minutes. He started 19 games in the championship last season (I know we didn’t have much choice in playing young players), played really well on his debut against Bournemouth, had a blinder against Fulham at pride park, even started in a battling 0-0 draw at Craven Cottage unless I’m mistaken? And our midfield was always strong despite how limited we were in other positions. Was even the first to have his contract extended in the summer. Would like to see him heavily involved next season.

He's clearly a player in need of more games. He's got potential and playing regular first team football could do him the world of good ahead of next season. 

However I also have two issues with this, we have a very thin squad and can't really afford to lose anyone for the run in and I'm not sure if bottom of the National league is a good place for Thompson when compared to our need for numbers, no disrespect to Scunthorpe

I'd say this is a coup for Scunny. They're struggling near the foot of the National League and he'll surely help them pull away. We have Bird, Smith, White, Rooney, Knight, Hourihane and Sibley who I would say can play in his position in terms of a midfield two or the central two of a midfield three (we've tried both with all these players this season). 

Liam hasn't made the bench the last couple of games with all the above players also now fit. He desperately needs games. I think it makes sense for both parties in that I do not honestly think I would pick him ahead of almost any of our other midfielders. There's a case for him ahead of Rooney and/or White, but not the other five. Most importantly, we need a happy, united unit for the run-in and I don't blame Liam at all if he's unhappy.

First thought was great for the lad, will get a chance to have a run of games, not so great for us as it loses backup from an already thin squad.

Second though, wait, he’s gone to Scunthorpe, forget any jokes about the town itself, the club is in a real mess, huge mess and heading down into National League North. 

They still have a chance I guess, will be a real dogfight and that would probably suit his style, just feel like it would have been far better to keep hold of him until the summer then let him go out on loan for a full season if he isn’t part of Warne’s current plans. I’m sure League 2 clubs would be all over him, even down the road from Scunthorpe there is one where I’m sure they would love him in the middle of the park.

I don't think league clubs can sign anybody now (emergency gk loans might be allowed). Non-league clubs can still make additions though so it was that level or nothing. Hopefully Thommo and Jacob Butterfield can team up to guide them to safety. Just hope they send the right player back.

Edited by Rampant