Liam Thompson - Scunthorpe loan until end of season

Caerphilly Ram

Sounds like Warne wasn't too keen on this move from his pre-match interview on the Derby website. 

Apparently turned down a loan move for him in January, and 2wasn't doing the merry jig" this time! Says he can pull him back if needed after a month, but added that he needs to play football. (No mention of why he couldn't play for under 21s to do that.)

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Sounds like Warne wasn't too keen on this move from his pre-match interview on the Derby website. 

Apparently turned down a loan move for him in January, and 2wasn't doing the merry jig" this time! Says he can pull him back if needed after a month, but added that he needs to play football. (No mention of why he couldn't play for under 21s to do that.)

That sounds better to me, glad we can call him back if needed. 

Not sure the National League is overly beneficial, nor U21's, but it's the only place he can go with a window open and it'll definitely give him some experience with the nitty gritty side of the game needed in this division. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Not sure the National League is overly beneficial, nor U21's, but it's the only place he can go with a window open and it'll definitely give him some experience with the nitty gritty side of the game needed in this division. 

I think warn just wanted get him first team football in which he is not currently getting here.

Needs football. Setting aside the rights and wrongs of his lack of game-time, he ought to get plenty of minutes at Scunny which will do him a lot more good than getting none stuck in the nether-nether land between the U21s and the 1st team. I can actually see this being good for Liam and good for Derby too, in the longer term. He remains a very good prospect.

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I've watched a fair few National League games this season and the physicality along with intensity is definitely a big step up from the u21s. I was surprised when I first read he'd gone on loan there but having thought about it I think it'll be beneficial for him. He'll come back with more senior games in a very competitive league under his belt and hopefully be ready to contribute to the first team in some way, hopefully by injecting some much needed energy into our midfield as it has been rather lethargic of late.

On 21/03/2023 at 14:41, Ghost of Clough said:

The thing is, in my opinion he ticks 2 key Warne boxes.
1. High work rate. This is supposedly Warne's key requirement from any player
2. Good range of passing. Warne apparently likes to mix it up, although in recent weeks it's been less of a mix and more hopeful punts.

We also have a small squad. The reluctance to use Tommo has been incredibly disappointing, especially when we've been missing our most important CM in recent weeks, our only experienced CM has been in desperate need of a rest for several games, and one of our other CMs was out injured for significant run of games.

Yes. TBH I like Warnes pragmatism but on this one I think he’s got it wrong. I suppose he knows Liam will have something to offer in the future also, maybe it’s Liam saying I need to play more ? 

3 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Well that was a baptism of fire! 

Very tough league which, as with league two, is in no way a doddle for technically gifted footballers. 

Comments on the Scunthorpe forum:

"One positive for me was Thompson. The one player in our team that would make their first eleven. He is going to punish mediocre National League teams."

"All of our players (excl thompson) were nowhere near them"

Hmmm….I’m not sure that two comments on a fans forum from a very disgruntled and disillusioned fan base, disproves anything I said to be honest.

Notts County are the most pure football team the National league has ever seen and so in that respect it would’ve suited him more than most other games at that or league 1/2 level. 

Also it wasn’t a dig at Thompson at all anyway, just that a 4-0 home loss on your debut is a tough baptism and there will be far more physical and ugly games to play than that one…which will be tough for any technically gifted players (which Thompson is).