Liam Thompson - Scunthorpe loan until end of season

Caerphilly Ram

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2023 at 14:18, Ghost of Clough said:

Comments on the Scunthorpe forum:
"One positive for me was Thompson. The one player in our team that would make their first eleven. He is going to punish mediocre National League teams."

Right up there with “he’ll boss league 1”

On 28/03/2023 at 15:25, Ravabeerbelly said:

there will be far more physical and ugly games to play than that one…which will be tough for any technically gifted players (which Thompson is).

0-0 draw v York City

1-0 loss v Torquay

2-0 loss v Gateshead

2-0 loss to Oldham 

Relegated yesterday. 

National League, League Two and to a slightly lesser extent League One, are very tough leagues to play in for ball players. Arguably harder to excel in than championship (in the right side / style).

7 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Right up there with “he’ll boss league 1”

0-0 draw v York City

1-0 loss v Torquay

2-0 loss v Gateshead

2-0 loss to Oldham 

Relegated yesterday. 

National League, League Two and to a slightly lesser extent League One, are very tough leagues to play in for ball players. Arguably harder to excel in than championship (in the right side / style).

Go check the teamsheets 

10 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Missed the Good Friday and Easter Monday games. So played 3/5 without a goal being scored.

Injured already. Physically tough league, as I said. 

Played the full 90 in 3 games, as a DM, without getting injured, with good reviews from fans... and because the side didn't score with him in the team and then missing 2 games (presumably due to an injury in training), the league itself is too tough for him?

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Played the full 90 in 3 games, as a DM, without getting injured, with good reviews from fans... and because the side didn't score with him in the team and then missing 2 games (presumably due to an injury in training), the league itself is too tough for him?

I didn’t say the league was too tough for him at all. I said it was a physically tough league. You’re reading want you want to read. You have no idea if his injury was sustained in training or not, but injuries usually result in either contact or over exertion physically. As I say, it’s a physically tough league to play in. 

The comment I quoted and was referring to was the one that stated that “he was going to punish mediocre National League teams”, which was as a ridiculous a statement to make, as the ones last season saying he would “boss league 1”, for precisely the reason you state which is he is a DM. A position really not known for bossing leagues or punishing opposition teams.

Btw, you found one comment that supports your “good reviews”. There was also one that said “he has been a disappointment”. Mixed reviews is call that, albeit we have no idea of the level of football intellect either came from, so either or both may be wildly inaccurate 😜.

On 12/04/2023 at 09:42, Ravabeerbelly said:

I didn’t say the league was too tough for him at all. I said it was a physically tough league. You’re reading want you want to read. You have no idea if his injury was sustained in training or not, but injuries usually result in either contact or over exertion physically. As I say, it’s a physically tough league to play in. 

The comment I quoted and was referring to was the one that stated that “he was going to punish mediocre National League teams”, which was as a ridiculous a statement to make, as the ones last season saying he would “boss league 1”, for precisely the reason you state which is he is a DM. A position really not known for bossing leagues or punishing opposition teams.

Btw, you found one comment that supports your “good reviews”. There was also one that said “he has been a disappointment”. Mixed reviews is call that, albeit we have no idea of the level of football intellect either came from, so either or both may be wildly inaccurate 😜.

Is he back now we could do extra body in midfield department.

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

Who made the decision to send him on loan then? 

Tommo wanted to go out on loan to get first team football because he wasn't getting any under Warne. During Bird's 8 game injury spell, Tommo only appeared on the pitch for 22 minutes. You can't get a more clear "not in manager's plans" message than that

13 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I agree and it’s a shame. I don’t think Harvey White is any better and now it would appear Warne doesn’t either as he isn’t picking him

If that shot he had in his first game had have gone in instead of hitting a team mate it may have been all different. Small margins in football.

I saw Liam in the car park after the game today. No recent mention of him in Scunthorpe's matchday previews. Anyway, just found this on their website last week: 

Midfielder Liam Thompson will play no further part this season at United with parent club Derby County diagnosing a grade two tear in the 20-year-old’s hip flexors.

Pleased to see he was in his Derby gear.