Fit refs, we always get fit refs.....

IronRam 140.6

Thought she did a good job tonight. It's easy to criticise from the sidelines, but it's not so simple to make these snap calls on the pitch.

Nice to see both teams being a bit more respectful too, though that really should be the case irrespective of gender. I've always maintained that it's an easy fix. Simply apply the same rules and standards as they do in rugby and the backchat would end overnight. Swear just the once at an official and that's your game over, no excuses, no debate. Sadly the governing bodies don't have the interests of game officials on their list of priorities.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

The sexist pigs would say she’ll have big decisions later on, ironing or washing the pots.  I think that’s a disgusting attitude myself, and will be keeping an eye out for any derogatory comments.

What about every 4th week? She'll be unapproachable, wildly unpredictable and be lashing out carding any man that crosses her path ! 

This should not be an issue. The ability to referee is not about gender it is about ability and the referee did a good job last night. There will always be contentious decisions because there are 20,000 + biased referees in the stands which adds to the enjoyment and emotion of the game. Hopefully the gender of the referee will be immaterial in the years to come.

I should add that she's smaller than Thommo, so to control a L1 fixture without the relative advantage of physical stature is quite impressive. 

I've also felt that the female linos we've had have been better than many of the male ones, so I think we'll be seeing entirely female officiating teams in due course. 

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

She did well. A bit soft to stop play for the Cheltenham defender with a mild leg issue first-half, but overall handled it well even if it wasn't the testiest of games. 

The fact that I never once called her a  #*¢¿×¥ *! #¶©  is a sure sign she did alright. 

#*¢¿×¥ *! #¶©...as an avid viewer of WW2 I am able to break codes...this code was easy...you little tinker ?

My Mum would have made a good Ref bless her, She'd have given hell to all those that disagreed with her, But kissed them on their cheeks and wiped away their tears after the game had finished, And would have cakes in her car for them to take home ?

On a serious note, For someone who was brought up in a very male dominated game all those years ago, It's a good read that Rebecca Welch has met with a good few plaudits...long may it continue ??

11 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I did notice , on a couple of occasions, that half a dozen of our players crowded round the ref after decisions . Don’t know what that was all about.

That would be after giving Cheltenham the advantage while one of their players was down but stopping a Derby attack for the same injury. Maybe other “uprising” was the fact that she did actually make more contentious decisions than this thread would suggest. The opposition weren’t much good at football, but knew how to clog our key players. They had already clattered NML and Jason Knight in the opening few minutes before scything down White earned a yellow card. And the foul on Dobbin was so aggressive it could easily have been red. However, the protests our players did make were way less demonstrative than those on Saturday, so good on yer, lads!

Everyone sat near me all commented, firstly that the ref was a woman, and later how decent she was..i added, certainly a big improvement on the standard of referees we normally get this season!

She did get the 2 decisions wrong..a second yellow for handball, and the stopping the game when it wasn't a head injury..but apart from that, i thought she was very good.

11 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Thought she did a good job tonight. It's easy to criticise from the sidelines, but it's not so simple to make these snap calls on the pitch.

Nice to see both teams being a bit more respectful too, though that really should be the case irrespective of gender. I've always maintained that it's an easy fix. Simply apply the same rules and standards as they do in rugby and the backchat would end overnight. Swear just the once at an official and that's your game over, no excuses, no debate. Sadly the governing bodies don't have the interests of game officials on their list of priorities.

100% agree.

15 hours ago, nottingram said:

Handball would have been a second yellow, too.

Possibly felt she couldn’t send him off after allowing the advantage. Not really sure what the rules are on that - maybe you can’t send him off as by playing on you’re effectively allowing him to influence the game when he shouldn’t be on the pitch?

That was the one I felt she may have got wrong but in her defence from her angle it would have harder to decide whether the handabll was intentional or just him falling.

Referees also are more cautious with second yellows. That is more to do with the spirit rather than the laws of the game.