West Ham (H) FACR4 Mon 30th Jan

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

To get people in the mood, here are two different, short clips of us against the Hammers in the Charity Shield. What a team that was!

I wonder which game was going to be on my highlights thread tomorrow. ? 

5 hours ago, sage said:

I wonder which game was going to be on my highlights thread tomorrow. ? 

Could be any game mate, what with it being a "Random" highlights thread.

I'm hoping for the 2-0 win over Arsenal in April '79.  Partly to catch a glimpse of my hero, Davy Langan, and partly for the utter randomness!  ?

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Interesting comment from "Simon" on their forum to a Derby random who has signed up (anyone on here?):

"I played youth football against your manager. He was, quite literally, leagues ahead of everyone on the park...even at 15/16. Luckily, he was in the middle and I was out on the wing so managed to avoid him most times! He is a top bloke."

I love Warne's interviews, talking about the joy of playing and hating the first few minutes of games because of wishing he was still out there. Looked him up and he played nearly 500 games, which is no mean feat. Seems to have a real love of the game.

I posted on there.  When I read through their posts, it certainly seemed like they were a friendly enough bunch, and their Forum Admin positively encouraged me to post a few ramblings.  They gave me a really warm welcome, and as you say seem to have a certain amount of respect and love towards us…. I haven’t spent ages looking on there, but I think like us they do cherish their history, and are probably more humble as fans than some of the “big” PL clubs.  

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Could be any game mate, what with it being a "Random" highlights thread.

I'm hoping for the 2-0 win over Arsenal in April '79.  Partly to catch a glimpse of my hero, Davy Langan, and partly for the utter randomness!  ?

I note your randomness.

35 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

I posted on there.  When I read through their posts, it certainly seemed like they were a friendly enough bunch, and their Forum Admin positively encouraged me to post a few ramblings.  They gave me a really warm welcome, and as you say seem to have a certain amount of respect and love towards us…. I haven’t spent ages looking on there, but I think like us they do cherish their history, and are probably more humble as fans than some of the “big” PL clubs.  

I know/have known a few West Ham fans and they usually decent. No real delusions of grandeur or divine right to be winning things.

35 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

They are basically like us - feverishly loyal to their football team but without the championship titles - I don’t mind them but I will find you a good dozen of clubs from London that I don’t like ! 
That all means that they will travel in large numbers expecting to lose to a side that cost £100,000 paid ten years ago containing no one between the age of 22-29 who also can’t pay money for transfers and have an imposed budget whilst not allowed to pay any agents fees - if they choose to moan about anything after what we have gone through I would be disappointed - they also get to watch a game of football without VAR ! - we will have a lot more empty seats than when we play Morecambe on Saturday but then again we play twice a week since July with no World Cup interrupting anything - as always looking forward to watching Derby play anyone.

Out of all the London teams i have had a bit of a soft spot for West Ham. In the 70s and 80s played some lovely attacking football which is how it should be played. Passionate,loyal fans who travel very well. I hope they enjoy their trip here, put some money into the local economy and leave feeling they have played at a ground whose support mirrors their own. The only downside of their trip is that we will be in the 5th round and they won't!  Sorry chaps but we have a free hit tomorrow and we are gonna take it! UTR!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Never liked them since 1975. Lots of their fans left the game at Wembley early (as they were losing) to make their way to our end and ambush us after the game. I was there on my own with my 10 year old cousin, scary s***.

It was a ridiculous attack. They were throwing bricks randomly as we came out of the ground. Even in these days where hooliganism is scarce at grounds, queuing for the Tube at West Ham can still be uncomfortable for away fans. I have little time for them at all.

15 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

It was a ridiculous attack. They were throwing bricks randomly as we came out of the ground. Even in these days where hooliganism is scarce at grounds, queuing for the Tube at West Ham can still be uncomfortable for away fans. I have little time for them at all.

Unfortunately most teams have got a minority of idiots 

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Never liked them since 1975. Lots of their fans left the game at Wembley early (as they were losing) to make their way to our end and ambush us after the game. I was there on my own with my 10 year old cousin, scary s***.

Me and a couple of mates got ambushed walking back from Euston station to St Pancras

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

50 of us from Chadd went down by coach, Stopped at a boozer at the back of Wembley,,,The Greyhound, After a few beers and some chat we were attacked by what seemed 100s of Hammers fans, We took a beating and were saved by the Old Bill, With cuts and bruises we were put back on the coach to park up at Wembley.

We saw the Hammers fans leaving around 10mins before the end of the game, Little did we know they were heading for our end, And to our surprise we were met with a volley of bricks and bottles, Our top lad...K O'Riely stood on the steps of Wembley and was swinging, Our lot were at the top of the stairs a little wary of what was down below, Do we take a kicking from the Hammers just once or take a kicking from O'Riely in town for weeks on end, The latter wasn't an option...so our lot joined in and  around a couple of minutes later the whole of Derbyshire Miners came out of the ground...just like uncorking a bottle of Champaign, Game on, What started as WHUs day...ended being DCFCs day...to quote a famous Norwegian commentator...your boys took one hell of a beating.

There was no Inter City Firm or DLF back then, But WHU did have a crowd called the Mile End Boys who were seen off by scaffolding planks and poles, A really hot summers day, A dust bowl to boot with the Police not knowing how to handle this melee.

Bill Gardner in his book admits that DCFC took the day.   

Edited by The Last Post