West Ham (H) FACR4 Mon 30th Jan

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

It certainly is in fact I'll encourage it, The 70s were mad, Not just football but socially too, Employee strikes, The winter of discontent, 3/4 day working weeks, There wasn't social deprivation in those days...you were just poor and angry. 

A huge percentage of supporters back then were male and used football as a vehicle to travel the land and fight, In Europe it was called the English disease now other Countries have taken over that mantle, After years of the police being on top of FV it's now on the rise again...ask yourself...Why? 

I don't think it was ever a "huge percentage" (depending on your definition of huge definition) looking for a fight but even one mindless hooligan is/was one too many.

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

It certainly is in fact I'll encourage it, The 70s were mad, Not just football but socially too, Employee strikes, The winter of discontent, 3/4 day working weeks, There wasn't social deprivation in those days...you were just poor and angry. 

A huge percentage of supporters back then were male and used football as a vehicle to travel the land and fight, In Europe it was called the English disease now other Countries have taken over that mantle, After years of the police being on top of FV it's now on the rise again...ask yourself...Why? 

We’re going to drift in to politics so it’s probably best to leave this one. But as a parting shot,  I don’t think being poor and angry is an excuse for organising “firms” to fight each other. More likely it is simply primitive base behaviour which is ever present in some elements of human kind. The worst of humanity in Con men, violent people, corrupt people - is present everywhere amongst rich and poor. 

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think it was ever a "huge percentage" (depending on your definition of huge definition) looking for a fight but even one mindless hooligan is/was one too many.

A huge percentage of supporters were male...not a huge percentage of male supporters were into football violence

8 hours ago, The Last Post said:

50 of us from Chadd went down by coach, Stopped at a boozer at the back of Wembley,,,The Greyhound, After a few beers and some chat we were attacked by what seemed 100s of Hammers fans, We took a beating and were saved by the Old Bill, With cuts and bruises we were put back on the coach to park up at Wembley.

We saw the Hammers fans leaving around 10mins before the end of the game, Little did we know they were heading for our end, And to our surprise we were met with a volley of bricks and bottles, Our top lad...K O'Riely stood on the steps of Wembley and was swinging, Our lot were at the top of the stairs a little wary of what was down below, Do we take a kicking from the Hammers just once or take a kicking from O'Riely in town for weeks on end, The latter wasn't an option...so our lot joined in and  around a couple of minutes later the whole of Derbyshire Miners came out of the ground...just like uncorking a bottle of Champaign, Game on, What started as WHUs day...ended being DCFCs day...to quote a famous Norwegian commentator...your boys took one hell of a beating.

There was no Inter City Firm or DLF back then, But WHU did have a crowd called the Mile End Boys who were seen off by scaffolding planks and poles, A really hot summers day, A dust bowl to boot with the Police not knowing how to handle this melee.

Bill Gardner in his book admits that DCFC took the day.   

Well sod it. This is history and can't be changed, but I'm happy to hear they got stuffed. I was well upset leaving Wembley to be confronted by loads of violent West Ham fans. So I don't care how right on it is but I was f****** scared at the time and now I'm happy to hear they got their comeuppance. 

It's easy to be right on when you weren't there. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well sod it. This is history and can't be changed, but I'm happy to hear they got stuffed. I was well upset leaving Wembley to be confronted by loads of violent West Ham fans. So I don't care how right on it is but I was f****** scared at the time and now I'm happy to hear they got their comeuppance. 

I feel the same about Millwall due to a nasty personal experience. I bet not all Millwall fans are violent thugs though…

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not being right on Roy. Nothing woke or soft about saying something that was thought wrong then is still wrong now. Glad you got out in one piece. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I feel the same about Millwall due to a nasty personal experience. I bet not all Millwall fans are violent thugs though…

When a coach drivers doing 50 in a 30 zone with the lights off to try and stop pensioners putting in the rest of his windows with bricks. I'll go with the majority are.

57 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

A huge percentage of supporters were male...not a huge percentage of male supporters were into football violence

Far enough then but that's not how your post read to me. You said "a huge percentage of supporters back then were male and used football to travel the land and fight....."

In any event, as I said: one hooligan is/was one hooligan too many.

Unfortunately I won't be going. Already on a job next week over in Manchester, told the missus I can't come home each night as it's too far to drive back and forth. Not sure she'd appreciate a return trip to Derby when it's on the box.

The fully expensed week away without the kids and missus, and a £50 overnight allowance has absolutely nothing to do with it! 

I've never experienced any trouble at matches ( thankfully) but back in 1992 ( I think it was) we had just left the Baseball Ground after stuffing Newcastle 4-1 , Keegan was their manager, and they finished the game with only 8 men after 3 sending's off, there were hundreds of Newcastle fans not in the best of moods charging towards us, we ran in the other direction sharpish and hid down a side street for half an hour until they had past us !...  really thought we due for a right kicking ! 

18 minutes ago, Eargasm said:

I've never experienced any trouble at matches ( thankfully) but back in 1992 ( I think it was) we had just left the Baseball Ground after stuffing Newcastle 4-1 , Keegan was their manager, and they finished the game with only 8 men after 3 sending's off, there were hundreds of Newcastle fans not in the best of moods charging towards us, we ran in the other direction sharpish and hid down a side street for half an hour until they had past us !...  really thought we due for a right kicking ! 

That would be the season where the self proclaimed best fans in the universe ever got 4000 less when I went to St James Park than we had at home.  Try telling one of them they were averaging about 15k a match and they'll at you like they're going to spontaneously combust . True though

28 minutes ago, Eargasm said:

Was at that one….funny game. For about 20 minutes after the sendings off they were the better side and looked really threatening….the team… not the fans ?

43 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Unfortunately I won't be going. Already on a job next week over in Manchester, told the missus I can't come home each night as it's too far to drive back and forth. Not sure she'd appreciate a return trip to Derby when it's on the box.

The fully expensed week away without the kids and missus, and a £50 overnight allowance has absolutely nothing to do with it! 

Manchester not far mate

You can make it back in time.

44 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Do you have to tell her everything?

17 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Do you have to tell her everything?

The wife finds out everything eventually. It's like she has spies all over the place. That, and a shared bank account that gives a Google maps location of every transaction. I can't complain really, everything balances out. I go to most games home and away and she has an annual girls week away with her friends.