West Ham (H) FACR4 Mon 30th Jan

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not much talk about the Rams. I did spot one post which read:

"I get they're in good form, but they're playing much weaker teams.
37 year old Curtis Davies is their main defender alongside 33 year old Craig Forsyth with 35 year old David McGoldrick up front.
Play anywhere near our ability and it'll be a routine 2-0 win for us."

I expect then that they would have been giving it extra large last season when they went to Kidderminster Harriers of the National League North. They went one down in 19 minutes and then squeezed through with goals in 90+1 and 120+1.

This time they're at Derby County who the whole world knows fight to the end. Bring it on.

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

Here is Paul's interview with Radio Derby. Dom let himself down a bit at the end there, saying there were only 4,000 of us on the march, but otherwise a good listen - with some potentially scary stuff about what might happen player-wise if we don't get promoted! 

I guess it’s just the reality of our situation and it’s what I expect to happen with some of them if we do fail to earn promotion this season. Knight, Bird, Sibley, Cashin are all realistically capable of playing at a higher level than league one, in the summer they’ll be entering the final year of their contracts so if we’re still a league one club at that point it makes it a difficult scenario for all involved. The players will be torn between their loyalty to the club and their ambition as professionals, the club will want to keep as much talent in the squad as possible due to the restrictions of the business plan, in my opinion it would still be poor business not to cash in (excuse the pun) on some of that talent if they’re not going to sign extensions rather than risk losing them on a free (and yes I appreciate their value on the pitch but the club is a business so objectively it would make sense to sell while there’s still chance to bank some money). 
If that reality did play out I’d be disappointed but I’d thank them for sticking with us this season and wish them well, new heroes would come in and wear the ram with pride, they always do.

However it’s all a moot point cause they docked us 21 points and we don’t give a….chuff?… cause we are Derby County and we are going up! And once that happens they’ll all sign new deals and we’ll add new faces and we’ll have a lovely time back in the Championship for a season as we pass through on our way to the Prem ? ? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Just caught the back end of the Accy Leeds game and the commentator saying Accy will earn £350k from the tie. I thought prize money for 4th round was £100k so are they really getting £250k tv money? Do all TV games generate the same as if so £250k for our game will be very useful?

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I guess it’s just the reality of our situation and it’s what I expect to happen with some of them if we do fail to earn promotion this season. Knight, Bird, Sibley, Cashin are all realistically capable of playing at a higher level than league one, in the summer they’ll be entering the final year of their contracts so if we’re still a league one club at that point it makes it a difficult scenario for all involved. The players will be torn between their loyalty to the club and their ambition as professionals, the club will want to keep as much talent in the squad as possible due to the restrictions of the business plan, in my opinion it would still be poor business not to cash in (excuse the pun) on some of that talent if they’re not going to sign extensions rather than risk losing them on a free (and yes I appreciate their value on the pitch but the club is a business so objectively it would make sense to sell while there’s still chance to bank some money). 
If that reality did play out I’d be disappointed but I’d thank them for sticking with us this season and wish them well, new heroes would come in and wear the ram with pride, they always do.

However it’s all a moot point cause they docked us 21 points and we don’t give a….chuff?… cause we are Derby County and we are going up! And once that happens they’ll all sign new deals and we’ll add new faces and we’ll have a lovely time back in the Championship for a season as we pass through on our way to the Prem ? ? 

Really this is the stuff for a separate thread of its own. So many posters have been saying it's good to have stability and this season is a bit of a free hit and if we don't go up this year then we're likely to go up next year. And completely ignoring the devastating reality of the situation. Just how many beloved players we would lose. This is why Clowes went for Warne when he did, because promotion this season is simply so massively important to the club.

Based on us having hardly any options 

Wildsmith 

Rooney   Forsyth Cashin  Roberts 

Bird.    Hourihane    
mendiz-Lang   Knight.     Barkhauzen 

Collins 

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Based on us having hardly any options 

Wildsmith 

Rooney   Forsyth Cashin  Roberts 

Bird.    Hourihane    
mendiz-Lang   Knight.     Barkhauzen 

Collins 

Wildsmith

Rooney.    Curtis.   Cashin.     Roberts

Bird.     Smith

NML.           Knight.        Dobbin

Collins

well-earned rest for Fozzy, Conor, Barks and McGoldrick ??

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Wildsmith

Bird.     Smith

Collins

I keep macgoldick upfront.

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Wildsmith

Bird.     Smith

Collins

Every time Forsyth has been benched he has had to come on ?

On 27/01/2023 at 21:40, Rev said:

Same here, I don't get it. 

I support Derby, I couldn't care less who the opposition are, or who plays for them.

Not sure it's so much a fascination with the oppo team and players, but more an interest in seeing how we cope with top tier teams in general. The Cups have yielded some great results in recent years too; Southampton, Manure and the Liverpool game this season. Even ending on the wrong side of a 5 goal thriller to Chelski was a great day out, despite scoring 4 out of 5 and still losing. 

On a general note, had a read through the Irons match thread. Surprisingly respectful and there seems to be some love there for Derby as a 'proper club'. A good few thinking it'll not be an easy game and suggesting they need momentum given their poor form this season. Looking at their possible line-ups, it's hard to fathom their league position as they've a lot of very good players. Likely they'll play 3 at the back and flood the midfield and I think that's where the game will be won and lost. Jason Knight will need to have an absolute stormer IMO and Bird simply must step up and support him. On the flip side, this won't be the kind of bruising encounter we saw at Vale and we do most often play better against footballing sides. Whilst few if any of ours would make their side, we are definitely a more unified team than they are and therein lies the pinch for any West Ham fan expecting an easy ride. All of this notwithstanding, my interest very much centres on the League this season and I'll not be losing sleep if this is a step too far. 

That said, 1-1 is my idea of the result and more cash for the Clowes rebuild coffers. Could really do without the extra games though and I'd happily take a decent performance and no injuries at this point, irrespective of the result.

COYR

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
typo

8 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Just caught the back end of the Accy Leeds game and the commentator saying Accy will earn £350k from the tie. I thought prize money for 4th round was £100k so are they really getting £250k tv money? Do all TV games generate the same as if so £250k for our game will be very useful?

£144k TV money.

Plus 45% of gate receipts after Costs.

I don’t see where the 350k in total comes from but maybe it’s not implausible. If they count the 100k plus they got for winning the 3rd round then yes I can.

Interesting comment from "Simon" on their forum to a Derby random who has signed up (anyone on here?):

"I played youth football against your manager. He was, quite literally, leagues ahead of everyone on the park...even at 15/16. Luckily, he was in the middle and I was out on the wing so managed to avoid him most times! He is a top bloke."

I love Warne's interviews, talking about the joy of playing and hating the first few minutes of games because of wishing he was still out there. Looked him up and he played nearly 500 games, which is no mean feat. Seems to have a real love of the game.