Port Vale (A) Tues 24th Jan

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Two things, one from each goal, that sum up the effort and commitment on a heavy, large, bobbly pitch after a hard work out at the weekend.  In the first, Korey Smith winning the ball back that then leads to the pass that frees Dobbin - a right back high up the pitch on the left hand side after 86 minutes; and in the second goal just look how far Springett runs before he slides to keep the ball in - he's offering Fozzy a pass in the left wing back position, well in his own half, before Fozzy blasts it forward, and seconds later he's sliding to keep the ball in, well into their half, to pass it to Dobbin who sets up NML.  

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't think we were brilliant, but you can't really look at things that way. We weren't brilliant, but us struggling against one side doesn't mean we will against another. We recently beat Bolton and Barnsley in the cup and took a point against Wednesday.

Additionally, Port Vale has been a bogey side for a lot of the better teams in our league. They held Bolton and Barnsley to a draw, Wednesday needed a wonder goal to beat them 1-0 at their place, Ipswich had a hard fought 3-2 victory and they beat Plymouth at their ground. They aren't a bad team by any stretch. It was a big result. 

I’m losing energy to continue this debate.

The opening statement to which I was replying was something along the lines of “if we continue with the way we are playing at the moment, I can’t see us losing again this season” (seriously paraphrased as I can’t be bothered to go back and check the actual quote) To which I replied along the lines of “if we play like we did last night” (“we weren’t brilliant” by your own admission, which IMO is another way of saying we were poor at times) we might struggle to remain unbeaten against some of the better teams”.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And as I said, there's a difference between being off and creating nothing (a worry) and being off and missing lots of chances. One might mean there'd be trouble against top of this league teams the other suggests that with a change of luck we'd be fine.

So, are you saying “being off” but creating (but missing) lots of chances against a mid table team would be good enough to give you confidence that we wouldn’t lose against again a much better team that, in all probability, will create more chances against us than PV did?

For the avoidance of doubt, all I was suggesting is that if we played to the same standard as we did last night (not shocking but not particularly good in big parts of the game) I’m not sure we’d remain unbeaten against the likes of Barnsley, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday when we play them all away.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

So, are you saying “being off” but creating (but missing) lots of chances against a mid table team would be good enough to give you confidence that we wouldn’t lose against again a much better team that, in all probability, will create more chances against us than PV did?

For the avoidance of doubt, all I was suggesting is that if we played to the same standard as we did last night (not shocking but not particularly good in big parts of the game) I’m not sure we’d remain unbeaten against the likes of Barnsley, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday when we play them all away.

FWIW, I agree with much of what you say. At times in the first half particularly, they were having allot of joy running through our midfield and overall in the game they had probably 4 decent chances to score. Whilst we had more, and I think better, chances, we didn't put them away until the very end. So it's not unreasonable to say that a better team the PV (or even PV with their 2 main strikers fit) might have put the game beyond us before we scored. We still need to improve our chance conversion rate in order to ensure that we outscore the oppositio. What can't be improved are things like our work-rate and spirit, because they are already top quality.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you not think, playing like we did last night, we’d be at risk of losing our away games at Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday or Barnsley?

I reckon last night was a classic case of not playing particularly well but somehow finding a way to win. I’m not sure we’d be able to pull it off against a better team.

If we'd scored early as we should have done, last night would have been a walk in the park. If we'd played like we did against Bolton, on the day no one in the League worries me and what an ending last night was. At Leeds, Jack Marriott ran down the goal line to celebrate his winner with me and last night NML did the same. Maybe they look for for the glass-half full sort of fan rather than the glass half-empty sort to enjoy their celebrations with.

As far as I am concerned, at the moment this whole world is broken with its bleak political climate. But Derby County are on a brilliant run and I'm going to enjoy it until the bubble bursts, if it does. Until then I'm going to be happy and live the dream and if it becomes impossible, I'll look forward to the play-offs. No doubt if it comes to that, you'll be whittling about playing Bolton, Barnsley, Peterborough or whoever. I won't; I'll be looking forward to winning at Wembley and if that doesn't happen I'll look forward to next season.

It takes all sorts to make this world go around but for now, I'm going to top up my glass while you empty yours.

I'm so glad that Paul Warne is motivating this team rather than you. This team deserves all of the positivity that supporters can give them at this time. So cut your whinging and get behind them.

COYR

12 hours ago, ram59 said:

Haven't the club already been punished enough, with relegation, demolition of the academy and restrictions on spending regardless of income? Remember DC is a new owner with no connections to those who committed the offences.

The ban on spending money on transfer fees has no merit whatsoever regarding the future stability of the club, it can only be detrimental, if anything.

The need for a business plan is less about punishment, more about deterrent for other clubs. IIRC the rules were bought in after the likes of Leicester and Southampton used administration to wipe their debts then carry on spending as before. 

19 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

If we'd scored early as we should have done, last night would have been a walk in the park. If we'd played like we did against Bolton, on the day no one in the League worries me and what an ending last night was. At Leeds, Jack Marriott ran down the goal line to celebrate his winner with me and last night NML did the same. Maybe they look for for the glass-half full sort of fan rather than the glass half-empty sort to enjoy their celebrations with.

As far as I am concerned, at the moment this whole world is broken with its bleak political climate. But Derby County are on a brilliant run and I'm going to enjoy it until the bubble bursts, if it does. Until then I'm going to be happy and live the dream and if it becomes impossible, I'll look forward to the play-offs. No doubt if it comes to that, you'll be whittling about playing Bolton, Barnsley, Peterborough or whoever. I won't; I'll be looking forward to winning at Wembley and if that doesn't happen I'll look forward to next season.

It takes all sorts to make this world go around but for now, I'm going to top up my glass while you empty yours.

I'm so glad that Paul Warne is motivating this team rather than you. This team deserves all of the positivity that supporters can give them at this time. So cut your whinging and get behind them.

COYR

But we didn’t score early and we didn’t play like we did against Bolton. I’m not “whittling” but, if we played like we did last night in the play offs I’d have some concerns. 

I’m also not whinging and am behind the team (unless being behind the team means refusing to accept that some times we might not play very well).

My glass is half full but I’m perhaps just a bit more of a realist and can’t see us going unbeaten for the rest of the season.

But hey, let’s cut out the unnecessary offensive comments and not fall out. I’m enjoying the ride as you are. I’ll be there for pretty much every home game and a handful of away games. Always doing my best to encourage the team and never booing. But if “getting behind the team” means never expressing any form of criticism on forums then I suspect you must find this forum  somewhat depressing.

8 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Did you see the tweet the other day from one of their directors? They literally made £2.99 profit from a home game. Without knowing much about Derby's accounting, I'm pretty certain we make more than that per game.

Wow - so I learned something new there. In the FA Cup the home team pays the away teams hotel and travel costs. Amazing!

7 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Just watched the highlights the tackle on dobbin should have been a pen and a red even though he got the shot off terrible challenge 

You see this decision time after time. The defender takes out a striker after he's got his shot away and no foul is given. But, if a striker takes out a defender after he's got his clearance away, it's always a free kick and usually a yellow/red card.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But we didn’t score early and we didn’t play like we did against Bolton. I’m not “whittling” but, if we played like we did last night in the play offs I’d have some concerns. 

I’m also not whinging and am behind the team (unless being behind the team means refusing to accept that some times we might not play very well).

My glass is half full but I’m perhaps just a bit more of a realist and can’t see us going unbeaten for the rest of the season.

But hey, let’s cut out the unnecessary offensive comments and not fall out. I’m enjoying the ride as you are. I’ll be there for pretty much every home game and a handful of away games. Always doing my best to encourage the team and never booing. But if “getting behind the team” means never expressing any form of criticism on forums then I suspect you must find this forum  somewhat depressing.

I'm not being offensive, just reacting honestly to what I see. I don't think you are more of a realist than me, just more depressive. Who said we'd go unbeaten until the end of the season? Your comments don't suggest that you are enjoying the ride as much as I am at the minute.  I criticised when we were drawing games in November and December but we are just winning games now so be positive about that while you can. I never find this forum depressing and I join in with criticism when it is due but at this moment in time I can't see the need for negativity. Okay, you don't boo but you hardly come across as encouraging. And given the recent run of good form, your comments do not present themselves as being those of a realist. I'm not falling out, just being honest.

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Wow - so I learned something new there. In the FA Cup the home team pays the away teams hotel and travel costs. Amazing!

It's not really the home team paying the away teams expenses though. All expenses, for both the home and away team, are first taken out of the match receipts, the remaining money is then split 40% for the home team, 40% for the away team and 20% goes into the FA pot to be split amongst all the other clubs.

Wow what a night!! My voice has only just recovered. Amazed my limbs are intact. Incredible scenes!! Nights like that are why it’s all worth it. Yes it’s only port vale but we’re in a situation where we need to win every game if we have any hope of chasing down the top 2. Last night was massive! 

It was also deserved, thought we were poor first half but we’d started well in the second, were completely on top and then got done on the counter. Wed missed some outstanding chances (Barkhuizen twice, Dobbin, Hourihane) but kept plugging away and made it happen with two brilliant goals when we thought it was going to be one of those nights. I don’t know about anyone else but as soon as we equalised I thought we would get the winner, it seemed inevitable.

Something special is building here, we took the team to our hearts last season, and we’re doing it again this season not in adversity but in hope, belief and a genuine mutual love and desire for Derby to do well.

It’s great being a Ram right now!! ?

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

We decide to cop out and have a MacDonald's. There is one just after gritting on the A 50 at Stoke, but despite being all lit up it was closed for a refit. We found one near Uttoxeter which was rammed with Rams, so joined a huge queue and got served at 11.30 pm!

I live half a mile from there Dave, I would have knocked you up a sarnie or summat if you'd of asked!