Bolton Wanderers (H) Sat 21st Jan

Warne said he would have asked for a refund in the 2nd half if he had been a fan. Only 56% of our passes found a player and both sides seemed intent on hoofing it into the crowd the taking an age to get it back in play. But this is the league we are in . Connor showed us what “third man running” means to get us the points . Move on , get out of this league.

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I do like having a quick gander on opposition forums after the games and after about five months perusing these forums I think I’ve found someone who seems to know what they’re talking about!

Pinched just now from the Bolton forum.

Farrelli……………Indeed. We are still re-building and it might take another season on our budget. 

Whitesince63…………….That’s just an excuse. Derby are rebuilding from just one year and like we were they are under embargo and can’t buy players, they’re also under wage restraints so we could compete with them if we’d wanted to. The difference is they have a manager who’s sole intention is to sign players of experience who can get him promotion whilst we have a manager who is obsessed with signing kids for his moneyball belief and will exclude players who don’t share his view. I can’t help feeling that IE needs to be more flexible with his system……………….Would I swop Evatt for a Warne type, you bet I would.

Seems fair comment to me.?

Agree, although strictly speaking warne didnt sign any of these players .. bar the recent lad from norwich

by my god has he got them working for him

I confess I was nervous before the game. They had been on a good run, had a tight defence and, bar the shouting our equals in the ranking stakes. Then you know they have skilled bruisers in attack, Cash injured and Curtis not match sharp. It was going to be tough. A real test.

I was wrong. By dint of 100% effort and faultless concentration we walked it. Oh yes they gave us a game and one slip could have cost us but we didn’t slip, or if we did they weren’t good enough to capitalise or we had the fire to put it right. It was a very entertaining game of footy. A brief period of head tennis in the second half and some nervy moments but we were a well oiled machine. 

I like Warne Ball. Pacy wide men crossing the ball, A raider for a 10 in Knighty. String pullers like Bird and Connor and gutsy defenders.

As for them, Big front man looked scary but never cleared his carburettors because we stopped him and their 10 who was a real worker, ran his goodies off all game. Their 15 was a diving, tugging mardy thug. They had (past tense ) a tight defence .. why ? Barks and NML had their wing backs on toast. They looked cumbersome to me. 

We played as a team, the spirit and camaraderie is there for all to see. We earned those points big time.

And then there’s that man Knight. Pure 24 ct Gold. If you could launch a battery company that had Knight Power, Tesla and Duracell would be out of business in the blink of an eye. 

COYR

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne said he would have asked for a refund in the 2nd half if he had been a fan. Only 56% of our passes found a player and both sides seemed intent on hoofing it into the crowd the taking an age to get it back in play. But this is the league we are in . Connor showed us what “third man running” means to get us the points . Move on , get out of this league.

He said “the first ten minutes of the second half”

5 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

Living outside of the area these days, due to licensing, Radio Derby switches to Squad Goals during the matches, which is quite possibly the worst football coverage I have ever heard, a bunch of immature reporters talking crap most of the time.

You can however listen to Radio Derby pre-match and post match, but having heard Charlie Palmer during the pre-match chat, I've given up totally, and am listening to that bafoon Adrian Durham on Talk$#&@ Radio. That's how bad things are when out if Radio Derby range!

I don't dislike Charlie Palmer, but he is one poor radio presenter / match summariser.

If I'm not at the match, I go to Japan or Holland on VPN Airways and watch from there. Its still Rams TV though.

18 minutes ago, jono said:

I confess I was nervous before the game. They had been on a good run, had a tight defence and, bar the shouting our equals in the ranking stakes. Then you know they have skilled bruisers in attack, Cash injured and Curtis not match sharp. It was going to be tough. A real test.

I think we were slightly fortunate that our defensive injuries also coincided with their best striker (Bodvarsson) sustaining a season-ending injury earlier in the week. Probably didn't make a huge difference, but perhaps just made things slightly easier than they might have been for us.

Edited by DB83

11 minutes ago, jono said:

I like Warne Ball

What actually is Warne-ball though? The way we played today was very different to how we’ve played for the last month or so. It was much more like how we played when Warne first came in - very direct, balls being played over the top at every opportunity etc.  There was very little effort to actually construct anything in terms of football moves (ironically our goals being 2 notable exceptions…) From a football-purists point of view, it was a pretty poor watch tbh.

The last month or so, it’s been more like Warne’s own version of Rosenior-ball - playing out from the back, through the thirds etc, but doing everything a lot more aggressively (pressing, passing etc).  

If the plan is to play like we have been doing recently, with the odd diversion into long balls for specific games (which to be fair, is what I think today probably was, given how radical the shift in styes was) then OK. If the last month has been a temporary blip and we’re intending to play like today for the rest of the season, then I’m less happy with it.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fair comment. In the heat of battle I did suggest he could have branded a couple of cards. The dive for the penalty from someone I dubbed Billy Bumfluff (no idea who he is) and a tackle on Jason Knight (I think!) that was knee high and half an hour late. That said, compared to some we've had, he was good and I certainly don't blame him for allowing their not-goal.

Why? I was on the half way line at the back of the stand. 
Both players way over the line with the ball in between them. If you can’t see that you’ve no business being a referee. As for the linesman, that’s absolutely disgraceful and I’d expect them to be rested for a few games after that. 

AB9BA6D6-E988-4CC0-A5C2-B5A60ADE1E3C.jpeg

Edited by ck-
Sodding autocorrect

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

What actually is Warne-ball though? The way we played today was very different to how we’ve played for the last month or so. It was much more like how we played when Warne first came in - very direct, balls being played over the top at every opportunity etc.  There was very little effort to actually construct anything in terms of football moves (ironically our goals being 2 notable exceptions…) From a football-purists point of view, it was a pretty poor watch tbh.

The last month or so, it’s been more like Warne’s own version of Rosenior-ball - playing out from the back, through the thirds etc, but doing everything a lot more aggressively (pressing, passing etc).  

If the plan is to play like we have been doing recently, with the odd diversion into long balls for specific games (which to be fair, is what I think today probably was, given how radical the shift in styes was) then OK. If the last month has been a temporary blip and we’re intending to play like today for the rest of the season, then I’m less happy with it.

We noticeably went longer today. Looked like a clear acknowledgment from Warne that Davies isn’t Cashin, and Wildsmith wasn’t putting him in any awkward positions. Longest I’ve seen Wildsmith play in a long time. 

Just now, Srg said:

We noticeably went longer today. Looked like a clear acknowledgment from Warne that Davies isn’t Cashin, and Wildsmith wasn’t putting him in any awkward positions. Longest I’ve seen Wildsmith play in a long time. 

I think it was more than just down to Cashin/Davies - the entire team were doing it.  I suspect it was some attempt to exploit Bolton’s slow backline, and that tallies with starting McGoldrick over Collins up front too - he’s much more effective running in behind than Collins is.

34 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I thought he said for a 5 minute period in the second half the game was ?, not the whole half ?

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

I think it was more than just down to Cashin/Davies - the entire team were doing it.  I suspect it was some attempt to exploit Bolton’s slow backline, and that tallies with starting McGoldrick over Collins up front too - he’s much more effective running in behind than Collins is.

You could remove the “running in behind” and the statement would still be true. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

More to do with Bolton having FBs who run like they're in treacle I reckon.

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I just don’t see the precise analytics that you do. I see a team/style that isn’t dogmatic. We go long, sometimes even hoof it, or we play channels, touch and go with zest and precision. The only constants are work for 90 minutes, no slackers and a desire to use wingers and width in attack. . Knight has clearly made a difference - the midfield as a unit has become much more aggressive and front foot, but bar that, Warne ball seems to me to mean be flexible, adapt, use your skills and your teammates at every opportunity. Plus .. run till you drop.

As for today, apart from a brief period in the second half, where it was too much in the air “hit and hope” for me, I thought it was a good watch. That in itself was a reaction to Bolton putting a bit of post HT effort in but we rode it well enough.

Well that was fun,, really enjoyable day at pride park , I was nervous about the game then when I saw cashin and sibley out I was thinking oh shat this could go tits up but no ,warne has the same spirit , attitude and organisation running through the whole squad , I’ve always believed that at the top level the difference between very good players and great players is what they do when they havnt got the ball ie , run off the ball , give options , defend , win the ball back , scrap , stay focused and involved , in short be as fit as they can be and WORK and that’s why I’m loving watching the brand of football warne is imprinting on our club , again 11 mom winners ,

the best ref we have had so far 

hands up ,,,,, the Bolton goal was down to me , well into added time I broke the rule of a lifetime watching derby I enthusiastically said to the wife and a couple of season ticket regulars we chat to ( we all said we were worried about our injuries before the game ) ,,, see we were worrying about nothing , they all shrieked don’t say that , I realised my mistake straight away ,,,, bam Bolton score ,, thank duck the final whistle went straight after , I would have been lynched had they got the equaliser 

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Can you ask for a refund. If yes I reckon I’m due thousands.

A very good performance again today we are no longer a 45 minute team, even with inevitable periods being under pressure there is no drop in effort or application and some of the passing and movement in attack was excellent. 
The atmosphere was also great, the away fans were the loudest I’ve heard for a long time but the whole ground responded. It’s a tough ask but we can make top 2 if we keep this going. UTR