Promotion rivals signings

TomTom92

11 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Just seen that Ipswich have signed Nathan Broadhead for £1.5m. I’m surprised he’s gone for such a little fee I was under the impression he was highly thought of. 

Plymouth have made 5 signings and I’m pretty sure Bolton have added to their squad. 

If Derbys chance of promotion was tough before jan, the inability to strengthen considerably is a right royal kick to the balls.  

The actual transaction was three times that, but the EFL are currently subsidising transfer purchases for all clubs in the top 6 of L1.  Some sort of January sale gimmick, to help the finances of their member clubs.

... well, 5 of the top 6, technically, as one team has been banned from receiving any subsidies... obvs!

52 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The actual transaction was three times that, but the EFL are currently subsidising transfer purchases for all clubs in the top 6 of L1.  Some sort of January sale gimmick, to help the finances of their member clubs.

... well, 5 of the top 6, technically, as one team has been banned from receiving any subsidies... obvs!

That will please Wycombe ?

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Not sure we need to worry about what Ipswich are doing. There is no need to spend 7 figure fees on players at this level which is why no one else is doing it

I don’t think anyone is worried at others spending money but it does put pressure on them to perform 

Bringing Bielik back would only restrict our spending in other areas of the pitch that are more urgent. I don't think that he'd mind that much about coming back to a promotion campaign in front of near 30,000 crowds at a club all pulling together from top to bottom. Compare that with Brum, with half those crowds, playing in a half-repaired stadium, starting to look over their shoulders worrying about relegation, with the fanbase revolting and owners that are invisible.

9 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

Harkes signed 94 didn't he? He was heartbroken Francis sold him, he was only in his mid 20s then

We ended up heartbroken too. He was one of our worst ever signings. He cost us the Wembley play-off final against Leicester in 1994 when he shot wide of an open goal when it would have been far easier to score. Jim Smith, about six weeks into his rein, hauled him off after less than half an hour at Portsmouth and he never kicked a ball for us again.

After that he was virtually finished in England. He went on loan to West Ham and did nothing and then joined Forest and played just three games in their 1999 relegation season before making his way home to the USA. He was a huge disappointment.

10 hours ago, S8TY said:

I personally can’t remember a January window that really improved us.

Under Davies I remember being very underwhelmed with Fagan and a lad from Man U who’s name evades me but both were about 1m and for me done nothing for our team

january is difficult for transfers and our restrictions must make it even harder 

I’d rather stick with what we’ve got than sign players who are no improvement on what we have 

Injuries might cost us though and a striker is a must now or we have no real changes from bench up top …I’d sell Bielik if it meant we could sign quality but I doubt selling him will change much in this window so stick with what we have unless it’s a no brainer 

We haven't signed many in recent reasons. and the last time we paid a fee for a player in January was Jerome in 2018.
13/14 was a good January though. Other than those listed below, we also made Dawkins permanent.

22/23 - N/A
21/22 - N/A
20/21 - Mengi, Edmundson, Baningime, Roberts, Gregory
19/20 - Rooney
18/19 - Ambrose, King, Cole
17/18 - Palmer, Jerome
16/17 - de Sart, Nugent
15/16 - Olsson, Camara, Blackman
14/15 - Albentosa, Warnock, Lingard, Ince, Bent
13/14 - Roos, Naylor, Thorne, Bamford
12/13 - Forsyth, Martin
11/12 - Naylor, Carroll, Noble
10/11 - Jones, Duke, Fielding, Ayala, Davies, Ward, Boulding, Robinson
09/10 - Martin (David), Anderson, Vidal, Hunt, Tonge, Martin (Dave), Johnson, Cywka, Sunu
08/09 - Hines, Bannan, Eustace, Porter
07/08 - Carroll, Stubbs, Mills, Ghaly, Savage, Robert, Sterjovski, Villa
06/07 - Mears, McEveley, Teale, Currie, Fagan, Macken
05/06 - Moore, Hajto, Wright, McIndoe, Lisbie
04/05 - Miller, Makin, Talbot, Kaku
03/04 - Edwards, Kenna, Vincent, Walton, Manel, Whelan, Osman, Reich, Peschisolido
02/03 - Chadwicj
01/02 - Foletti, Grenet, Lee, Barton
00/01 - Mawene, Gudjonsson
99/00 - Burley, Fuertes, Strupar
98/99 - Boertien, Jackson, Doherty, Borbokis, Beck

I wouldn’t worry too much about rival signings at this level. Although, I’m sure that some will turn out to be good players, they’re still players who are having to find a new home in the third division of English football. Logic states that they’re going to be far from world beaters, otherwise they would be playing much higher up the pyramid. They may be good players at this level, but it’s important to recognise that we’re unlikely to see the second coming of Messi at this level and regardless of reputation that all of them are going to be deeply flawed, most likely hugely inconsistent. 

A lot could be made of not bloating your squad full of players who are having to make a career at this level, especially for decent fees and wages. 

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

We ended up heartbroken too. He was one of our worst ever signings. He cost us the Wembley play-off final against Leicester in 1994 when he shot wide of an open goal when it would have been far easier to score. Jim Smith, about six weeks into his rein, hauled him off after less than half an hour at Portsmouth and he never kicked a ball for us again.

After that he was virtually finished in England. He went on loan to West Ham and did nothing and then joined Forest and played just three games in their 1999 relegation season before making his way home to the USA. He was a huge disappointment.

Stop talking about John Harkes. He was utterly dreadful. I hate thinking about him. Let us not do such things again. ☹️

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We haven't signed many in recent reasons. and the last time we paid a fee for a player in January was Jerome in 2018.
13/14 was a good January though. Other than those listed below, we also made Dawkins permanent.

22/23 - N/A
21/22 - N/A
19/20 - Rooney
17/18 - Palmer, Jerome
16/17 - de Sart, Nugent
12/13 - Forsyth, Martin
09/10 - Martin (David), Anderson, Vidal, Hunt, Tonge, Martin (Dave), Johnson, Cywka, Sunu
03/04 - Edwards, Kenna, Vincent, Walton, Manel, Whelan, Osman, Reich, Peschisolido
02/03 - Chadwicj

Great work interesting …I forgot about Mikkel Beck but then there’s probably a reason for that lol 

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

22/23 - N/A
21/22 - N/A
19/20 - Rooney
17/18 - Palmer, Jerome
16/17 - de Sart, Nugent
12/13 - Forsyth, Martin
02/03 - Chadwicj

I really wish we had signed someone called Old in 18/19 rather than Ambrose.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

22/23 - N/A
21/22 - N/A
19/20 - Rooney
17/18 - Palmer, Jerome
16/17 - de Sart, Nugent
12/13 - Forsyth, Martin
02/03 - Chadwicj

12/13 wasn't bad either!

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mengi - crap
Edmundson - really good to start with, missed a lot due to injury, then average when back in the team
Baningime - crap
Roberts - 1 good game
Gregory - Good, then missed 9 out of the last 11 games

Where are they now then?!