Promotion rivals signings

TomTom92

45 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Davis and Chester don't have the fitness, Stearman has looked stretched and is really a desperation only measure and Forsyth is one bad  stretch from an ACL and is 35? .  No need to tinker at the minute but I feel someone extra will be needed.  Similiar with McGoldrick.  He has some slight problem every 3 or 4 games and would be a bugger if we went into playoffs or be pushing for autos in a few months and it happened then.  Collins will not have the legs or firepower to keep us in the top 6 should we lose McGoldrick and is getting games as we have no one else to alternate instead at the moment whose better.  Osula didn't get in as he is a League 2 standard striker at the moment and seemed to find it impossible to pass. 

I do understand where you are coming from. There is an element of risk to sticking with the squad, but in fairness also to changing things up. 

You’re right in saying that Davies, Chester, Forsyth and Stearman are all ageing, at risk of injury or fitness issues, and we can’t build around them in the long term, but surely with Roberts and at a push Jake Rooney also able to play CB, we have enough options to see us through the remainder of the season?

Similarly, yes, McGoldrick is a fitness risk and Collins is inconsistent, but that’s exactly why we were able to sign them in the first place. If there is anyone of comparable or better quality out there ready to join considering the level we’re at and the restrictions we are under, the club will have hit a home run.

I’m not sure you can plan a whole window around what ifs and worst case scenarios. Personally I think we’d be smart to see the season out and reassess.

If we are in the Championship, that’ll be the time to get some new recruits.

@Jourdan I'm with you for the most part and have no desperation for us to make signings this month, in saying that I would be pleased to see one more attacking player come in to fill the 4th wide option/3rd centre forward option if there's a suitable player out there for us (Macauley Bonne?).

It does feel like we're one option short and praying that we don't get injuries to any of the 5 lads we currently have playing those positions. When we do have an injury we seem one short on the bench for attackers (case in point being Saturday where the only attacking option on the bench was NML).

The ability to change all 3 frontmen mid-game would also be nice, whether we're looking to change a game or whether we're comfortably winning and looking to rest the starters.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm glad we let Man Utd have those three top rated youngsters in lieu of a loan fee for Mengi.  Did there old boy Wayne a great deal on that one. 

I thought the admin sold the young 'Manure 3', nothing to do with Rooney? Do you know who they are btw?

Edited by RoyMac5

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought the admin sold the young 'Manure 3', nothing to do with Rooney? Do you know who they are btw?

Malachi (Sharp … I think) was one of them. Just signed his first pro deal with them. 

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're right Roy, it was Quantuma who forced the sale. Sekou Kaba, Malachi Sharpe and James Scanlon were in the same year as Jack Thompson and Niall McAndrew. They came through together from the age of nine. Because of the sale, the club offered Jack and Niall at the age of 14, scholarships and four years professional contracts which they can't take up until they are 17. But having made the offer it means Derby can negotiate a transfer fee in excess of the academy compensation fee if a club comes in to take them away before they are 17.

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

You're right Roy, it was Quantuma who forced the sale. Sekou Kaba, Malachi Sharpe and James Scanlon were in the same year as Jack Thompson and Niall McAndrew. They came through together from the age of nine. Because of the sale, the club offered Jack and Niall at the age of 14, scholarships and four years professional contracts which they can't take up until they are 17. But having made the offer it means Derby can negotiate a transfer fee in excess of the academy compensation fee if a club comes in to take them away before they are 17.

That sounds like smart business. We're learning?

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Swansea have turned down a bid for Whitaker, probably from Plymouth. Loans are flying into our league now from Prem teams . Even Burton have got hold of a young striker that is already a full international. The EFL must really have us by the “Short and Curly’s”.

Rangers I think.

4 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Swansea have turned down a bid for Whitaker, probably from Plymouth. Loans are flying into our league now from Prem teams . Even Burton have got hold of a young striker that is already a full international. The EFL must really have us by the “Short and Curly’s”.

Are you referring to Dale Taylor going to Burton? To put it into some context, to say he is a "already a full international" is correct but he has only played once for Northern Ireland and that was back in November 2021 against Lithuania when he seems to have come on as a sub in the 78th minute. So, a total of 12 minutes (plus time added on) as a full international.

Given we were able to sign Springett on loan, we must have some leeway from the EFL so, perhaps it's more a case of Warne not just wanting to sign anyone.

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you referring to Dale Taylor going to Burton? To put it into some context, to say he is a "already a full international" is correct but he has only played once for Northern Ireland and that was back in November 2021 against Lithuania when he seems to have come on as a sub in the 78th minute. So, a total of 12 minutes (plus time added on) as a full international.

Given we were able to sign Springett on loan, we must have some leeway from the EFL so, perhaps it's more a case of Warne not just wanting to sign anyone.

Warne could say more on signings post Bolton. As for Burton Albion , have they signed a dud in Dale Taylor ? 3 year deal at a Prem team, on the bench v Italy at 18 , I don’t know , we will soon find out.

16 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne could say more on signings post Bolton. As for Burton Albion , have they signed a dud in Dale Taylor ? 3 year deal at a Prem team, on the bench v Italy at 18 , I don’t know , we will soon find out.

Even if it turns out he's the best player in the world, he's not going to turn Burton into promotion rivals!

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 20/01/2023 at 16:13, Tamworthram said:

Dale Taylor scores on his debut and Burton win. They are never going to catch us but after Adeboyejo left I thought they could go down. Strikers coming and going can change fortunes quickly.