Promotion rivals signings

TomTom92

Just seen that Ipswich have signed Nathan Broadhead for £1.5m. I’m surprised he’s gone for such a little fee I was under the impression he was highly thought of. 

Plymouth have made 5 signings and I’m pretty sure Bolton have added to their squad. 

If Derbys chance of promotion was tough before jan, the inability to strengthen considerably is a right royal kick to the balls.  

9 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Just seen that Ipswich have signed Nathan Broadhead for £1.5m. I’m surprised he’s gone for such a little fee I was under the impression he was highly thought of. 

Plymouth have made 5 signings and I’m pretty sure Bolton have added to their squad. 

If Derbys chance of promotion was tough before jan, the inability to strengthen considerably is a right royal kick to the balls.  

No way after 3 years of heavy spending they shouldn't be being looked at.  Another 2 mil with add on for Taylor from Peterborough soon I gather

3 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Signing loads of players in a January window doesn’t always being improvement. 

Exactly, how many of Plymouths 5 signings are good enough to replace what they have lost in Whittaker.

Too many signings could disrupt the squad rather improve it.

Edited by DCFC1388

39 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Warne said recently that he views January signings as panic buying. Or words to that effect. Much rather strengthen in the summer as a rule he said. 

Personally I'm not bothered what the others do. 

Fair to say strengthening in January doesn’t guarantee you success. But I think we’re 2 players short at a minimum from having a healthy sized squad. So to see others getting bodies in early doors is a bit unsettling. 

Can’t help but think Bielik holds the key to our strong we go. I’d be surprised to see him still at brum on loan come the end of the window.

Edited by TomTom92

21 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Fair to say strengthening in January doesn’t guarantee you success. But I think we’re 2 players short at a minimum from having a healthy sized squad. So to see others getting bodies in early doors is a bit unsettling. 

Can’t help but think Bielik holds the key to our strong we go. I’d be surprised to see him still at brum on loan come the end of the window.

I would hate to see us being Bielik back against his wishes, whilst he's a Derby County player, we have to respect him as a person as well.

We appear to have a happy camp, why potentially disrupt that by throwing a player into the mix that doesn't want to be here, nobody wins out of this situation.

From what we're led to believe it's not the club he has an issue with, just does not want to play in League 1, that's his call.

Personally I think when you make that kinda call, whilst players like Knight and Bird that are clearly not League 1 players get their heads down and get stuck in despite being down here is not any of their faults, how can you ever justify bringing him back in even if we go up?

Oh you want to be apart of this team now?...Nah. Sell him in the summer and wish him well.

3 minutes ago, David said:

I would hate to see us being Bielik back against his wishes, whilst he's a Derby County player, we have to respect him as a person as well.

We appear to have a happy camp, why potentially disrupt that by throwing a player into the mix that doesn't want to be here, nobody wins out of this situation.

From what we're led to believe it's not the club he has an issue with, just does not want to play in League 1, that's his call.

Personally I think when you make that kinda call, whilst players like Knight and Bird that are clearly not League 1 players get their heads down and get stuck in despite being down here is not any of their faults, how can you ever justify bringing him back in even if we go up?

Oh you want to be apart of this team now?...Nah. Sell him in the summer and wish him well.

Inclined to agree with you. I’d be surprised if we didn’t flutter him out to see if we attracted any decent bids now. Obviously not sure if getting him off the books would give us anymore leeway or not. 

But agree no point bringing him back for the sake of it.

40 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

When have Ipswich spent heavy in the last 3 seasons 

Over 3 million last season and brought in players like Aluko, Carroll and Piggott all who had championship interest on frees.  Loans from QPR, Boro and Brighton for players with first team games in the mid 20's.  Not the kids with potential you normally get in this league.

Over 2 million this summer, plus Luongo, Ladapo, Ball, Keogh on frees but as championship players good salary I'd wager.  Another 1.5 today and 2 mil more expected.

I'd say that's fairly heavy and wage wise very heavy as they regularly bring in more than those listed. Probably not on similar salary granted Sure they've had other players like Will Keane drop from the championship to join them as well but they have since been binned off.

14 minutes ago, David said:

If he has no relegation clause in his contract it's not his call.

To my mind Birmingham have a player that could get injured at any point giving us no resale value.  Get his arse back here and get him flogged this window.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Over 3 million last season and brought in players like Aluko, Carroll and Piggott all who had championship interest on frees.  Loans from QPR, Boro and Brighton for players with first team games in the mid 20's.  Not the kids with potential you normally get in this league.

Over 2 million this summer, plus Luongo, Ladapo, Ball, Keogh on frees but as championship players good salary I'd wager.  Another 1.5 today and 2 mil more expected.

I'd say that's fairly heavy and wage wise very heavy as they regularly bring in more than those listed. Probably not on similar salary granted Sure they've had other players like Will Keane drop from the championship to join them as well but they have since been binned off.

Their net spend was 300k or so last season.

Their increased income has helped fund this seasons outlay.

2 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

Their net spend was 300k or so last season.

Their increased income has helped fund this seasons outlay.

Supporting this club  you realise net spend can get you point's deducted.  Gross wages will send you to the administrator.  They have a wage bill over the last couple of years that will give them a serious headache if they don't go up. 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If he has no relegation clause in his contract it's not his call.

To my mind Birmingham have a player that could get injured at any point giving us no resale value.  Get his arse back here and get him flogged this window.

Technically true, it's not his call, but holding a player essentially hostage will not help with his resale value at all.

I don't care who they are, if they don't want to be at the club, it's best they are well away from those that want to be here.

Nothing stopping us from shopping him around whilst out on loan either.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Supporting this club  you realise net spend can get you point's deducted.  Gross wages will send you to the administrator.  They have a wage bill over the last couple of years that will give them a serious headache if they don't go up. 

Mate you're preaching to the converted. Post prem we didn't have a pot to piss in, when we finally do get a wealthy owner the efl adopt some rules that aren't fit for purpose.

Clubs with failure pennies from the PL can splash the cash and clubs could either have a go themselves or let the pl be almost a closed shop with the same sort of clubs swapping leagues every year.

Edited by walkleyowl

5 minutes ago, David said:

Technically true, it's not his call, but holding a player essentially hostage will not help with his resale value at all.

I don't care who they are, if they don't want to be at the club, it's best they are well away from those that want to be here.

Nothing stopping us from shopping him around whilst out on loan either.

If his knee goes though summers irrelevant.  With one year left on his contract we have another season paying Arsenal 1.5 million and a player on not far of the same in wages plating no games. Then another free transfer and an FFP milestone for years.  Way it's going, he'll have played more games for Birmingham on loan than he is 4 years here on 7.5 million transfer and up to 4 million in wages. Get him back and sell now.  He'll be cup tied in another week as well. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If his knee goes though summers irrelevant.  With one year left on his contract we have another season paying Arsenal 1.5 million and a player on not far of the same in wages plating no games. Then another free transfer and an FFP milestone for years.  Way it's going, he'll have played more games for Birmingham on loan than he is 4 years here on 7.5 million transfer and up to 4 million in wages. Get him back and sell now.  He'll be cup tied in another week as well. 

His knee could go, likewise Dobbin's could go, 18 months out the game. We can't just wrap him up in cotton wool and stick him in a cupboard till he sells.

Any value left would plummet.

Reports suggest he's on decent money, Birmingham paying a chunk of thar, bringing him back now on to the wage bill will also impact what we can do whilst we try to sell.

I'm sure his agent will have been putting feelers out there, they never stop, having come back from the World Cup and that any interest would be known to the club.

The Championship is a far better shop window to be in.

We need a striker, really need one, as we are royally screwed if anything happens to Collins, the money we have needs to be saved to secure that rather than protect Bielik. This could be the difference between promotion or not.

1 minute ago, David said:

His knee could go, likewise Dobbin's could go, 18 months out the game. We can't just wrap him up in cotton wool and stick him in a cupboard till he sells.

Any value left would plummet.

Reports suggest he's on decent money, Birmingham paying a chunk of thar, bringing him back now on to the wage bill will also impact what we can do whilst we try to sell.

I'm sure his agent will have been putting feelers out there, they never stop, having come back from the World Cup and that any interest would be known to the club.

The Championship is a far better shop window to be in.

We need a striker, really need one, as we are royally screwed if anything happens to Collins, the money we have needs to be saved to secure that rather than protect Bielik. This could be the difference between promotion or not.

We'll be even more hampered though if we have back here injured for the final year of his contract paying his wages and shelling out to Arsenal.  Then more hampered when he heads off on a free for 2 more years after.  If we can't get 1.5 million for him now which is chump change for a side chasing promotion, probably with Parachute payments hanging around, I'd find that odd.  I even think he'd take an 18 month deal somewhere just to leave .  Hope he's not here at the end of the month as he clearly doesn't want to be and as far as I'm concerned it would be the final bit of Mels pooshow finally removed.   Dobbins knee could go, but he'd go back to his parent club as a loanee so the impact financially would be negligible.

I see no reason why a club that's been picked apart for 3 years shouldn't play hard ball with this situation.  Especially after agreeing to his loan to get him his world cup place.  He did obviously agree to the recall as part of this.

the-dude-big-lebowski.gif