Promotion rivals signings

TomTom92

I personally can’t remember a January window that really improved us.

Under Davies I remember being very underwhelmed with Fagan and a lad from Man U who’s name evades me but both were about 1m and for me done nothing for our team

january is difficult for transfers and our restrictions must make it even harder 

I’d rather stick with what we’ve got than sign players who are no improvement on what we have 

Injuries might cost us though and a striker is a must now or we have no real changes from bench up top …I’d sell Bielik if it meant we could sign quality but I doubt selling him will change much in this window so stick with what we have unless it’s a no brainer 

4 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I personally can’t remember a January window that really improved us.

Under Davies I remember being very underwhelmed with Fagan and a lad from Man U who’s name evades me but both were about 1m and for me done nothing for our team

january is difficult for transfers and our restrictions must make it even harder 

I’d rather stick with what we’ve got than sign players who are no improvement on what we have 

Injuries might cost us though and a striker is a must now or we have no real changes from bench up top …I’d sell Bielik if it meant we could sign quality but I doubt selling him will change much in this window so stick with what we have unless it’s a no brainer 

Think you mean Jones.  Thought he was decent for the price.  Got promoted With Wolves who we sold him too, then had about 7 years in the prem with Burnley?.  We sold him then spent the money on Ellingtons loan fee.  Mears was decent as well.  Till he nicked his boots and fecked off.  The rest, including those he spent 10 million on in the pre prem summer were absolute crap apart from maybe Earnshaw. Never really got to see a lot of him to judge despite the fact we had the turning circle of the Titanic at both ends.  

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think you mean Jones.  Thought he was decent for the price.  Got promoted With Wolves who we sold him too, then had about 7 years in the prem with Burnley?.  We sold him then spent the money on Ellingtons loan fee.  Mears was decent as well.  Till he nicked his boots and fecked off.  The rest, including those he spent 10 million on in the pre prem summer were absolute crap apart from maybe Earnshaw. Never really got to see a lot of him to judge despite the fact we had the turning circle of the Titanic at both ends.  

Jones scored a winner late on at yours from a wide free kick v us the season you went up 

3 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

Jones scored a winner late on at yours from a wide free kick v us the season you went up 

Remember that one.  Might have got two free kicks that day.  Second was a beauty.  Not seen any other Derby player get a free kick in from that angle.  Before him we had Idiakez who was worth 10 goals  a year from worldy free kicks alone.  Don't know what you've got till it's gone ?  Another 12 years till we got Wilson on loan.  Not as good as Idiakez though for me. 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember that one.  Might have got two free kicks that day.  Second was a beauty.  Not seen any other Derby player get a free kick in from that angle.  Before him we had Idiakez who was worth 10 goals  a year from worldy free kicks alone.  Don't know what you've got till it's gone ?  Another 12 years till we got Wilson on loan.  Not as good as Idiakez though for me. 

Was 1 nil 

We ended up signing him in 2016, apparently he was a Wednesday fan, he was tripe.

Most consistent free taker I've seen for us was Hinchcliffe 

9 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

Was 1 nil 

We ended up signing him in 2016, apparently he was a Wednesday fan, he was tripe.

Most consistent free taker I've seen for us was Hinchcliffe 

We had that with John Harkes.  Probably not tripe, but not much better.  Certainly no goals from 35 yards like that cup game.  He did miss an open goal at Wembley for us that someone who'd had 10 pints would have buried.  Not sure he ever recovered from that one. 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We had that with John Harkes.  Probably not tripe, but not much better.  Certainly no goals from 35 yards like that cup game.  He did miss an open goal at Wembley for us that someone who'd had 10 pints would have buried.  Not sure he ever recovered from that one. 

Harkes signed 94 didn't he? He was heartbroken Francis sold him, he was only in his mid 20s then

2 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

Harkes signed 94 didn't he? He was heartbroken Francis sold him, he was only in his mid 20s then

Yeah, back when we spent a lot of money under Pickering.  A British record fee for a defender in Short.  Didn't work but individually they were decent players and young so we actually got enough money from them for Smith to rebuild.  You bought Pembridge I think for about 300k more than we spent on him.  He could take a free kick as I recall.

Always remember the headline in the paper when Kitsons move to Newcastle was off and he came back.  You greedy Kit .  Kitson demands to be Newcastle's highest paid player on 250 k a year.  Get that in two weeks now and we're only talking mid 90's.  Obviously he lowered his demands as they signed him in the end. 

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yeah, back when we spent a lot of money under Pickering.  A British record fee for a defender in Short.  Didn't work but individually they were decent players and young so we actually got enough money from them for Smith to rebuild.  You bought Pembridge I think for about 300k more than we spent on him.  He could take a free kick as I recall.

Always remember the headline in the paper when Kitsons move to Newcastle was off and he came back.  You greedy Kit .  Kitson demands to be Newcastle's highest paid player on 250 k a year.  Get that in two weeks now and we're only talking mid 90's.  Obviously he lowered his demands as they signed him in the end. 

I remember us signing Pembridge, it was pre Internet era 95

The local paper placards read Owls land Rams star for 800k

I was hoping for Kitson, imagine my disappointment 

12 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

Just looked 93 for Harkes.  Never really settled here and as I say he had a bad 94.  The open goal miss in the playoff final and then that cross at USA 94 Escobar turned into his own net.  I imagine if someone's murdered because they turned your cross into their own net it plays on your mind somewhat.  Think he headed back to the states 12 months or so later.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Just looked 93 for Harkes.  Never really settled here and as I say he had a bad 94.  The open goal miss in the playoff final and then that cross at USA 94 Escobar turned into his own net.  I imagine if someone's murdered because they turned your cross into their own net it plays on your mind somewhat.  Think he headed back to the states 12 months or so later.

Aye that works out, was summer after we lost both cup finals, Sinton came in and Harkes shunted out for him.

Think the summer 94 his affair with a national team mates wife came out publicly too

9 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Just seen that Ipswich have signed Nathan Broadhead for £1.5m. I’m surprised he’s gone for such a little fee I was under the impression he was highly thought of. 

Plymouth have made 5 signings and I’m pretty sure Bolton have added to their squad. 

If Derbys chance of promotion was tough before jan, the inability to strengthen considerably is a right royal kick to the balls.  

It’s hard to remember when signing players in January actually helped us when going for a possible promotion ? - possibly Bamford? I do agree that we need a another centre forward which is obvious. Leon Osman was a decent loan when we were fighting relegation one year.

I much prefer to see a high team morale than signings that cause unrest with others doing a decent job