Promotion rivals signings

TomTom92

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

06/07 - Mears, McEveley, Teale, Currie, Fagan, Macken

Terrible transfer window, we were battling with Sunderland at the top of the league at the time and well clear of 3rd place. In that position, we should have been looking at loans to finish the job or signings capable of playing in the premier. In the end money was wasted on signing and giving long contracts to this lot who weren't as good as what we already had, with their inclusion in the team only spoiling the momentum that we had. We got lucky in the play offs but then had to rely on these players in the premier, it was no surprise that we did so poorly.

The seeds for the terrible premier season were sown in this transfer window. Will the same happen to Plymouth this year?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mengi - Man Utd U21s
Edmundson - Ipswich
Baningime - Hearts
Roberts - Sunderland
Gregory - Sheff Weds

With the exception of Roberts, they'll all playing at levels below where we were in 20/21.

But they weren't/aren't crap, and we are were we are now - so I'd take some of them now definitely.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But they weren't/aren't crap, and we are were we are now - so I'd take some of them now definitely.

Mengi and Baningime most certainly were crap. None would have got in our starting 11 if not for injuries. If Davies was fit, it would have been Davies and Clarke starting every game at CM. Roberts was 4th choice winger behind Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozwiak. Gregory was mostly backup CF to either Kazim or Waghorn.

Edmudson, Roberts and Gregory would still get in our squad but only one of them would be a starter (and only in certain formations). I wouldn't have Edmundson in ahead of Cashin or Forsyth the way they've been playing this season. There's no chance Roberts gets in ahead of Mendez-Laing. You'd have to be an idiot to think Gregory would start ahead of McGoldrick, and it's 50:50 as to whether he starts instead of Collins if playing 2 up front.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mengi and Baningime most certainly were crap. None would have got in our starting 11 if not for injuries. If Davies was fit, it would have been Davies and Clarke starting every game at CM. Roberts was 4th choice winger behind Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozwiak. Gregory was mostly backup CF to either Kazim or Waghorn.

Edmudson, Roberts and Gregory would still get in our squad but only one of them would be a starter (and only in certain formations). I wouldn't have Edmundson in ahead of Cashin or Forsyth the way they've been playing this season. There's no chance Roberts gets in ahead of Mendez-Laing. You'd have to be an idiot to think Gregory would start ahead of McGoldrick, and it's 50:50 as to whether he starts instead of Collins if playing 2 up front.

I'll give you Baningime (we barely saw him, but perhaps for good reason), however Mengi was more than decent  - just very injury prone unfortunately.  He is streets ahead of Edmunson, for example.

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You'd have to be an idiot to think Gregory would start ahead of McGoldrick, and it's 50:50 as to whether he starts instead of Collins if playing 2 up front.

Lol. An idiot or just disagree with your assessment! 

I'd have Gregory before Collins every time. He'd also start before McGoldrick at times too - he's not always fit. Which is why it's a squad game and most of those players would get into our squad now.

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. An idiot or just disagree with your assessment! 

I'd have Gregory before Collins every time. He'd also start before McGoldrick at times too - he's not always fit. Which is why it's a squad game and most of those players would get into our squad now.

He wouldn’t start in front of McGoldrick. Him and Collins are much of a muchness… would replace both of them. 

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

He wouldn’t start in front of McGoldrick. Him and Collins are much of a muchness… would replace both of them. 

I did say because McGoldrick wasn't always fit. ? And him and Collins aren't much of a muchness.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, goodgollymickbrolly said:

I'll give you Baningime (we barely saw him, but perhaps for good reason), however Mengi was more than decent  - just very injury prone unfortunately.  He is streets ahead of Edmunson, for example.

Mengi was a long way from decent but that was in keeping with our whole side in that covid season - dreadful 

23 hours ago, David said:

I would hate to see us being Bielik back against his wishes, whilst he's a Derby County player, we have to respect him as a person as well.

We appear to have a happy camp, why potentially disrupt that by throwing a player into the mix that doesn't want to be here, nobody wins out of this situation.

From what we're led to believe it's not the club he has an issue with, just does not want to play in League 1, that's his call.

Personally I think when you make that kinda call, whilst players like Knight and Bird that are clearly not League 1 players get their heads down and get stuck in despite being down here is not any of their faults, how can you ever justify bringing him back in even if we go up?

Oh you want to be apart of this team now?...Nah. Sell him in the summer and wish him well.

Disagree. We bent over backwards to accommodate Bielik and get him to the World Cup. Now he should swap the Championship relegation fight for a League One promotion run in. He might be unhappy for a week or so but I'd expect him to get over that quickly. He signed on to play for Derby County who invested a record transfer fee in him. Time to return the faith. 

As we cannot buy players I'd say bringing Bielik back is the only way to be sure of improving the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disagree. We bent over backwards to accommodate Bielik and get him to the World Cup. Now he should swap the Championship relegation fight for a League One promotion run in. He might be unhappy for a week or so but I'd expect him to get over that quickly. He signed on to play for Derby County who invested a record transfer fee in him. Time to return the faith. 

As we cannot buy players I'd say bringing Bielik back is the only way to be sure of improving the squad. 

Warne has stated on several occasions that he won’t hold anyone hostage and he only wants players that want to play for us, and if they don’t they can go.

I would imagine that conversations have been had with the relevant parties and the manager would make a decision based on those discussions.

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Warne has stated on several occasions that he won’t hold anyone hostage and he only wants players that want to play for us, and if they don’t they can go.

I would imagine that conversations have been had with the relevant parties and the manager would make a decision based on those discussions.

Live footage of Knight captured at Moor Farm where he'll be for the next 3 weeks

life-of-brian-prison.gif

10 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

We know that. I'm stating I believe Warne is wrong in this instance.

Beni Baningime played the grand total of 93 minutes for us, spread across two appearances, and I thought he looked quite useful in those brief cameos (one being at Rotherham when we were already 2-0 down iirc) but as we could only sign fee-free loan players at the time it seems petty to diss the lad. 

I am quite relaxed about making new signings. January is always a difficult time to get a good deal over the line.

With the way we are playing, the run we’ve been on, and how the players have stepped up and dispelled the myth Warne would have to rip up the squad and start again, surely the less disruption and the less change the better. 

Can we improve on the team? Yes. Is there a pressing need to? At this moment, no. We can compete with anyone in the division on our day and so far Warne has proven to be the shrewd appointment many suggested he would be.

We already have good (sometimes excellent) players for this level and where we lack something, Warne has found and will likely continue to find solutions within the squad.

We should stick with what we’ve got, unless a major player leaves and needs replacing or in the unlikely event there’s a deal that’s too good to walk away from.

Ultimately, team spirit, organisation, momentum and confidence is all with us - why rock the boat?

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am quite relaxed about making new signings. January is always a difficult time to get a good deal over the line.

With the way we are playing, the run we’ve been on, and how the players have stepped up and dispelled the myth Warne would have to rip up the squad and start again, surely the less disruption and the less change the better. 

Can we improve on the team? Yes. Is there a pressing need to? At this moment, no. We can compete with anyone in the division on our day and so far Warne has proven to be the shrewd appointment many suggested he would be.

We already have good (sometimes excellent) players for this level and where we lack something, Warne has found and will likely continue to find solutions within the squad.

We should stick with what we’ve got, unless a major player leaves and needs replacing or in the unlikely event there’s a deal that’s too good to walk away from.

Ultimately, team spirit, organisation, momentum and confidence is all with us - why rock the boat?

A natural striker with pace would be nice and a centre half with a bit .  Both will be needed in some games.  I Imagine the striker may be an issue as they'll be in demand and come with a loan fee which we can't do.  

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A natural striker with pace would be nice and a centre half with a bit .  Both will be needed in some games.  I Imagine the striker may be an issue as they'll be in demand and come with a loan fee which we can't do.  

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think we need another striker at this point. Osula was recalled because he couldn’t get in front of McGoldrick, Collins, Dobbin, NML and Barkhuizen. Surely any new signing would have the same problem unless they were Ivan Toney 2.0?

I don’t think we need a centre half either. Forsyth and Cashin have developed an excellent partnership and it would be reckless to interrupt it, and when they’re fit, we will have Davies, Chester and Stearman to call upon and contribute.

If we’re pushed to strengthen anywhere, surely it’s full back and possibly midfield if clubs come in for Bird or Knight?

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think we need another striker at this point. Osula was recalled because he couldn’t get in front of McGoldrick, Collins, Dobbin, NML and Barkhuizen. Surely any new signing would have the same problem unless they were Ivan Toney 2.0?

I don’t think we need a centre half either. Forsyth and Cashin have developed an excellent partnership and it would be reckless to interrupt it, and when they’re fit, we will have Davies, Chester and Stearman to call upon and contribute.

If we’re pushed to strengthen anywhere, surely it’s full back and possibly midfield if clubs come in for Bird or Knight?

Davis and Chester don't have the fitness, Stearman has looked stretched and is really a desperation only measure and Forsyth is one bad  stretch from an ACL and is 35? .  No need to tinker at the minute but I feel someone extra will be needed.  Similiar with McGoldrick.  He has some slight problem every 3 or 4 games and would be a bugger if we went into playoffs or be pushing for autos in a few months and it happened then.  Collins will not have the legs or firepower to keep us in the top 6 should we lose McGoldrick and is getting games as we have no one else to alternate instead at the moment whose better.  Osula didn't get in as he is a League 2 standard striker at the moment and seemed to find it impossible to pass.