Liverpool v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Penalties just isn't our thing I guess. Had a season with Wilson when one could be quite confident but now we are back to our usual selfs. Great overal performance though and not the worst way to exit this cup I guess.

COYR

I thought Vydra and Waghorn scored more than they missed also Martin… so think we ok at pens, we just give more away than we get at the min.

Unlucky Rams tonight, did us proud.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Penalties aren't a lottery despite all the esteemed opinions of the Radio Derby commentators to the contrary. 

While I agree, the same applies to Liverpool. Stands to reason that they should be better at taking and saving penalties than us.

Although Firmino tried his very best to prove Radio Derby correct.

Just now, DJFern94 said:

I feel like if you had a scale of great to awful penalties, ranked 1-10, those 3 we had saved would be a 4.5

I suppose any good penalty is one that goes in, so a missed penalty probably can’t go any higher than 5. So yeah, agreed, they were a 4.5 out of 5. ?

3 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Penalties just isn't our thing I guess. Had a season with Wilson when one could be quite confident but now we are back to our usual selfs. Great overal performance though and not the worst way to exit this cup I guess.

COYR

It was that season under Lampard where we were amazing at penalties. We beat man United and Southampton in the cups on pens and scored every one. The players that season hit them with power and placement. Lampard taught them well. In fact, don't think we missed a penalty all season. 

I think you have to remember these are professional footballers. All they do all day long is play football. You should expect them to be able to score penalties more often than miss them. Le Tissier only missed 1 out of 50 odd.  I do not agree it is a lottery. It would be a lottery if they picked 5 people out of the crowd to take them.

Its very disappointing to lose on penalties.

Its very encouraging that we held them to a draw and hopefully we can use this as a springboard for the rest of the season. I'm more pleased with the performance over 90 mins than the poor penalties but we must improve on that because it'll could cost us later on.

1 minute ago, Magicman said:

He misses chances every game and does not add anything but pace .

And yet you’re not saying anything about Forsyth or Hourihane’s missed penalty? Or McGoldrick’s header that was saved? Or Bird dragging a shot wide? You constantly single Dobbin out for criticism. He is a young player, doing a job for the team we all support, his attitude and application seem spot on to me. Could he improve his finishing? Definitely. Could he provide some assists? For sure. Is it worth singling him out for criticism at every opportunity? No, no it isn’t