Liverpool v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wildsmith is motm most matches. Whoever picked him up needs freedom of the city 

He's a very intelligent footballer so I like that. Great game management in this one. Reading the Liverpool forum they all really hated him, which means he did his job well. Taking his time on everything and his tactical injury. But also, as he said in his post-match interview, applauding the Kop, which they noted.

Paying the price today for a long drive in rush hour, a late night and work today, feeling run down and broken (god knows how I’d have felt had I been drinking) but my god it was worth it to see that and be part of our incredible support. Really put the scousers to shame. Not only was our support incredible for the most part it was behaved. There were some pockets of nonsense in the concourse and leaving the ground (including one t*** shouting I wish some Forest fans were in the 96) but there were no on mass victim chants (unlike the red dogs who you really think would’ve known better) or sign on chants in the ground. I used to think the sign on chant was funny when I was a kid but it’s good to see times have moved on. 

On to the team, heroic is probably the best I can describe it. Don’t like us playing that way but we had to against Liverpool whatever team they put out, nullified their threats completely the only chances they had first half were from Derby mistakes, it took us 25 mins to start being a threat ourselves but once we did we were always in the game. Smith and NML were our best players first 60 mins, Cash and Foz were amazing particularly cash in the second half as we had to defend and he came to the fore with Wildsmith who continues to impress. Bird and Conor grew into the game, the subs had a positive impact. Yes the scousers had chances but we could’ve won that in normal time with the Bird chance early first half and the Didzy chance at the end. An unbelievable performance, brought out the inferiority complex in some scouse fans trying to trash us for time wasting and being anti-football, highlighting that we only played their kids. 

Penalties was gutting, other than Conor the pens were decent just good saves. But let’s face it losing on pens is the best result we could’ve had. With our tiny squad we can’t play in lots of cup competitions the squad needs a breather at some point to focus on the league.

The only sour note, Firmino’s and Kelleher’s antics in the penalty shootout getting in Ref and Wildsmith’s head, but suppose that’s gamesmanship. I’m therefore pleased hearing the stories about Klopp and Warne afterwards which redeems them slightly in my eyes.

A proud night to be a Ram. 

Read their forum posts.  A few were sensible, many were just vitriolic and unbecoming of what I have always viewed as a great club.  Much shows how out of touch they have become with those in the “Football Family”.  Thank you to Sky and the Premier league for that.

Some singing from our fans was classless.  Whatever your view on that (I seem to remember their were notorious for rushing turnstiles to gain entry to games back in the day) it was unnecessary, and wrong, we should have moved on.  Although I have to admit also back in the day singing “did you come in your Giro” to them in the Ossie End from the Pop side, but I wouldn’t do that now - sensibility’s have quite rightly changed.

I listened on the radio, and although we sounded under the kosh for periods we could have done enough to have won the game having taken some chances.

We should take this as a confidence boost, and take it further on into the league.  Leave the scousers to their salt on Wildsmith taking a step forward for the first penalty and move on to more important matters for Derby County.