January Window

1of4

We could get more players BUT....

We've signed a few on two year contracts that don't appear to fit the new style of play. Yet, at their age, we'll be unlikely to be able to move them on.

So, given the tight budget restrictions, we'll struggle to sign many more players.

Edited by IslandExile

24 minutes ago, Kernow said:

There might be a few players out of contract in the summer that aren't getting much game time wherever they are now, and they could essentially be freed from their contracts to join us early.

That's what happened with James Collins, just a bit further in advance. The seller club doesn't get a fee, but does get to offload their wages early. I reckon there might be one or two we look at like that.

Agreed, for last season's end of contracts, we were late to the party. But this time round, we will be in a position to snap them up early, in the event of players being surplus to requirements in the last few months of their contracts, or maybe playing for a new manager who doesn't like their style of play.

If LR gets a new club before January, he may come back for an unsettled player or players, not suited to PW's style of play.

4 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I’ve heard some rumours that DC has asked the EFL to review a new business plan that has been proposed with money ready and able to be spent in Jan. 

That would make sense, I would imagine that the original agreed business plan would have been based on a conservative average attendance of below 20k, which is around 8k below the actual average. This would equate to an extra 150/200k income per match or £3.5/4.5M over the season. By the time the January transfer window arrives, there should be an extra couple of million sitting in the bank compared with the agreed business plan.

20 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Was speaking to a Bristol City fan today. He said they all boo when Chris Martin comes on as sub.

He said he sucks all the life out of their attacks.

Sounds like Chrissy and Pearson will be parting ways again soon.

Lol. Yeah cos they're storming up the table without him, most amusing.

On 28/10/2022 at 11:53, Anag Ram said:

I think he’s one of our better players!

He has done okay even though he’s out of position. On Saturday I thought we had him and Fozzy the wrong way round at the start.

Fozzy further advanced would have been a better target in the air for the keeper and he’s a better crosser of the ball.

Roberts’ first instincts are those of a defender. He can carry the ball from deep but then needs to give it to more talented attacking players.

He’s young, keen and fit (not in a Kenneth Williams way) and I think he should start most games.

Thing about Roberts is that he is consistent. For me a bit of an unsung hero in the current set up. Hope he stays. 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

Thing about Roberts is that he is consistent. For me a bit of an unsung hero in the current set up. Hope he stays. 

Also that yet again we consistently need Forsyth and need him to be played regularly in a position that is even more away from the left sided winger we originally purchased 

In January we will seek to improve the team not just bring in transfers for the sake of enlarging the size of the team.

Those signings will be loans or free agents, and we will face competition for those.

We could be a team that isn't in the play offs, so what will be the interest to players joining us, apart from the ability to pay a decent salary.

Many of our summer signings were the wrong side of 31 and are getting older and slower, as i predicted.

Loan players don't always work do brilliantly for the teams they play for, and most are at the start of their careers, with such players being on the fringe of the teams they come from.

We could lose players, with knight having 6 months left on his contract in January, it's likely we will try and get a fee for a player of his calibre.

Without a transfer budget, our January transfer window, might not look great.

Apart from attempting to rest some of our players, by signing extra players to fill reach our full allowance of senior players.

We should seek to only sign players that improve the team, and based on recent performances, I can see that's required.

On 25/10/2022 at 08:18, RoyMac5 said:

If we could sell Bielik...

Pw must strengthen the team in January, few options to do so, I'm confident that pw sees bielik as a strong addition to our team.

Especially if we lose knight, not that they play similar roles but bielik will improve the team, just look at his performances this season.

Warne has already said some of the positions he is looking to strengthen and none are really a surprise.

We need a:

New right back - Obviously the young lad from Man City is not ready yet so he's already said there's a dearth of talent there.

Wing backs -  We don't actually have anyone who plays that position as a norm. We have two/one serviceable players in NML and Barks but neither has that as their preferred position.

Center Back - He's already alluded to the age and injuries we are sustaining and to play 3 of them will wear them out quicker. Even if he decides to stay with two we won't get the rest of the season with Davies and Chester without getting injured again.

Forwards - Originally he did say we had good cover but lately he has been saying how some of the younger lads are not ready to step in and the quality hasn't been there, so one more in this department if possible.

I'd say that's 5 players possibly he'd like to bring in.

If we add getting Belik back that would be a good boost to the squad and give us some strength in depth which we are sorely lacking now.

Will we get 5? Can we afford 5? We will have to wait and see.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Yeah cos they're storming up the table without him, most amusing.

You know it’s not as simple as that. Some Bristol City fans might argue they’d be storming down the table if he was playing regularly. I had a quick look at the Championship table and was surprised to see only Sheffield United and Burnley have scored more goals than Bristol.

I loved Martin (most of the time) when he was at Derby previously but I think his time has gone and wouldn’t really like to see him back.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

In January we will seek to improve the team not just bring in transfers for the sake of enlarging the size of the team.

Those signings will be loans or free agents, and we will face competition for those.

We could be a team that isn't in the play offs, so what will be the interest to players joining us, apart from the ability to pay a decent salary.

Many of our summer signings were the wrong side of 31 and are getting older and slower, as i predicted.

Loan players don't always work do brilliantly for the teams they play for, and most are at the start of their careers, with such players being on the fringe of the teams they come from.

We could lose players, with knight having 6 months left on his contract in January, it's likely we will try and get a fee for a player of his calibre.

Without a transfer budget, our January transfer window, might not look great.

Apart from attempting to rest some of our players, by signing extra players to fill reach our full allowance of senior players.

We should seek to only sign players that improve the team, and based on recent performances, I can see that's required.

We’ll done for predicting our players would get older, who’d of thought it.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

By football standards we can't really pay a decent salary. Probably still better than a lot of League one teams, but still limited by the business plan.

Players I would be OK to see go this January 

Dobbin - struggles to deliver much so far and we need better .

Udoroh - seems out of favour with PW. 

We need a new RB, 2 new wide men to cover NML & Barks, creative midfielder  and new striker to cover  ( 5 net 2 ) 

Not going to be too much to fix but if we want to up the quality the cost might be factor.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You know it’s not as simple as that. Some Bristol City fans might argue they’d be storming down the table if he was playing regularly. I had a quick look at the Championship table and was surprised to see only Sheffield United and Burnley have scored more goals than Bristol.

I loved Martin (most of the time) when he was at Derby previously but I think his time has gone and wouldn’t really like to see him back.

No, he was my favourite player but I’ve moved on now and appreciate that his skills are out of kilter with today’s game.

Not sure what his next move could be given his wage demands.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Did I say that?

I find it really amusing that he always takes the blame for poor performances - there's plenty of evidence that he plays however is needed. He's been mostly on the bench so perhaps there poor form is down to something else.

13 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Players I would be OK to see go this January 

Dobbin - struggles to deliver much so far and we need better .

Udoroh - seems out of favour with PW. 

We need a new RB, 2 new wide men to cover NML & Barks, creative midfielder  and new striker to cover  ( 5 net 2 ) 

Not going to be too much to fix but if we want to up the quality the cost might be factor.

Oduroh is our player, on a two year contract. He should be playing for under 21s, but until we get some depth in the squad he will be sitting on the bench not getting game time.