January Window

1of4

How certain are we that we can do much business in January? I've read that we are within our agreed business plan and there is room for additions, but was pretty sure that we still can't sign players that aren't free transfers, regardless of this.

With that in mind, are we restricted to 6 month loans and the decreasing talent of the free agent pool?

I had a quick scan over transfermarkt for out of contract players that I feel could fit into a Paul Warne squad and fill gaps that we currently have.

Michael Hector - apparently on trial at Luton this week. With Davies and Chester picking up injuries we could do with a right footed CB that still has a few years left in the tank. Hector has good physical attributes and more pace than our other CB options.

Danny Rose - was close to moving to Greece in September, but didn't look like it happened. 32 isn't ideal, but he would be a great option if we need to continue with wingbacks.

Izzy Brown - Was a bright talent as a teenager, but things have gone downhill since for some reason (injuries have been the reason of late). Played for Warner in his first season in charge of Rotherham and would be a good option if he can stay fit. A great dribbler who could help with the transition from defence to attack.

Omar Elabdellaoui - Former Man City, Hull City and Galatasaray right wingback with lots of international experience for Norway. Another option that could free up NML to play higher up the pitch and give us some depth in a weak area.

Matej Vydra - No intro needed. We know what he's capable of. Perhaps he's still got a soft spot for Derby where he played some of the best football of his career. His pace and finishing would be too much for League One. Wages might also be too high for League one though.

Zakaria Labyad - Wildcard! Two footed attacking midfielder who can play out wide too. Will never happen, but I can't believe he's still a free agent after leaving Ajax in the summer. One can dream... ? 

4 minutes ago, roboto said:

How certain are we that we can do much business in January? I've read that we are within our agreed business plan and there is room for additions, but was pretty sure that we still can't sign players that aren't free transfers, regardless of this.

With that in mind, are we restricted to 6 month loans and the decreasing talent of the free agent pool?

I had a quick scan over transfermarkt for out of contract players that I feel could fit into a Paul Warne squad and fill gaps that we currently have.

Michael Hector - apparently on trial at Luton this week. With Davies and Chester picking up injuries we could do with a right footed CB that still has a few years left in the tank. Hector has good physical attributes and more pace than our other CB options.

Danny Rose - was close to moving to Greece in September, but didn't look like it happened. 32 isn't ideal, but he would be a great option if we need to continue with wingbacks.

Izzy Brown - Was a bright talent as a teenager, but things have gone downhill since for some reason (injuries have been the reason of late). Played for Warner in his first season in charge of Rotherham and would be a good option if he can stay fit. A great dribbler who could help with the transition from defence to attack.

Omar Elabdellaoui - Former Man City, Hull City and Galatasaray right wingback with lots of international experience for Norway. Another option that could free up NML to play higher up the pitch and give us some depth in a weak area.

Matej Vydra - No intro needed. We know what he's capable of. Perhaps he's still got a soft spot for Derby where he played some of the best football of his career. His pace and finishing would be too much for League One. Wages might also be too high for League one though.

Zakaria Labyad - Wildcard! Two footed attacking midfielder who can play out wide too. Will never happen, but I can't believe he's still a free agent after leaving Ajax in the summer. One can dream... ? 

Same old names come round again and again like cases on the airport carousel.

No one wants them for a reason.

We will probably be reliant upon getting young players who aren’t featuring for teams in higher leagues and who want first team football.

On 25/10/2022 at 01:27, 1of4 said:

With the financial limitations imposed on us by the EFL. Will we have to carry on to the end of the season with our present players or can we bring in new players during the January Window? 

If we can bring in new faces will we be restricted to freebies and loans or will we be able to spend a few quid in the transfer market?

Business agreement means we can't spend transfer fees. 

I would say getting Bielik back and a couple of handouts in the loan market is about the best we can do. Perhaps, if there is a team who is desperate to get rid of a player due to their contract, i.e. James Collins, but very difficult to find a good player that another club is absolutely desperate to get rid. 

On 25/10/2022 at 19:07, Kokosnuss said:

We wouldn't have changed up the manager and the style if we weren't confident of making the appropriate additions / changed in January IMO.

We all didn't think we could pay compensation for a manager in work, but that turned out to be nonsense.

I think January will be a big turning point for us, in ways maybe not expected.

We were confident of getting an experienced RB in during the summer. Our two preferred options turned us down to be Championship squad players

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Same old names come round again and again like cases on the airport carousel.

No one wants them for a reason.

We will probably be reliant upon getting young players who aren’t featuring for teams in higher leagues and who want first team football.

There's a limit on the amount of loan players we can use at a time though.

I'm not saying we won't use the loan market, and it would be less of a risk I agree, but if we need to fill out the squad more to cover injuries and fill positions we didn't need under Rosenior's tactics, then we might need to cast the net wider. Out of the ones I've mentioned then Michael Hector and Izzy Brown might be the best out of those due to their age and current status. Hector having trials at Champ clubs means he's actively looking for work. Brown had some injury issues, but offering a trial and knowing that Warne had him at Rotherham for a season means it isn't too far fetched.

Just now, roboto said:

There's a limit on the amount of loan players we can use at a time though.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Roberts go back to Brighton in January.  If we're sticking with wingbacks, he's probably down the pecking order, unless injuries force us to use him at centre half.  It's not in anyone's interest for him to be here if he's not playing, and that would free up one space.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Roberts go back to Brighton in January.  If we're sticking with wingbacks, he's probably down the pecking order, unless injuries force us to use him at centre half.  It's not in anyone's interest for him to be here if he's not playing, and that would free up one space.

I think he’s one of our better players!

He has done okay even though he’s out of position. On Saturday I thought we had him and Fozzy the wrong way round at the start.

Fozzy further advanced would have been a better target in the air for the keeper and he’s a better crosser of the ball.

Roberts’ first instincts are those of a defender. He can carry the ball from deep but then needs to give it to more talented attacking players.

He’s young, keen and fit (not in a Kenneth Williams way) and I think he should start most games.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

He has done okay even though he’s out of position. On Saturday I thought we had him and Fozzy the wrong way round at the start.

Fozzy further advanced would have been a better target in the air for the keeper and he’s a better crosser of the ball.

Roberts’ first instincts are those of a defender. He can carry the ball from deep but then needs to give it to more talented attacking players.

He’s young, keen and fit (not in a Kenneth Williams way) and I think he should start most games.

I don't disagree, but Warne seems to only really see him as a backup wingback, and that's clearly not his best position.  Certainly, if we're playing a back 3, he's more suited to the left centre half position than most of the other centre halves we have. 

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We could do with Roberts and Fozzy swapping brains or bodies. Fozzy is better going forward but doesn't have the legs anymore and Roberts seems to be a centreback that can do a jo at leftback but at left wingback its a complete no no. 

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If Warne keeps saying he wants crosses into the box then someone from the left hand side will be likely based on what I have seen this season - probably the best crosses put in have been from Forsyth and he has hardly played 

Barkhuisen puts in lots of nice crosses but there’s no beggar on the end of them. We don’t have an instinctive goal poacher. Until we do, crosses are going to be wasted.

There might be a few players out of contract in the summer that aren't getting much game time wherever they are now, and they could essentially be freed from their contracts to join us early.

That's what happened with James Collins, just a bit further in advance. The seller club doesn't get a fee, but does get to offload their wages early. I reckon there might be one or two we look at like that.