The Sibley Enigma

sage

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

I thought he was better second half. Didn't dive into challenges, a lot more disciplined. 

Ideally he should be played as the most attacking midfielder, off a striker. He does need a run in the team, a run in the same position but we don't really have that luxury in squad depth right now.

I agree. First half I thought he was terrible then he got better--words at half time?  Trouble is I'm not sure what his best position is and we play him all over the place  so no wonder he seems a bit adrift at times. I've never been a huge fan of his but he needs a fair crack of the whip!

• 2 weeks later...

You know what ? I don’t think he’s an enigma. I think he’s a young developing player with significant potential. He has produced some magic moments and played some very average games. Isn’t that par for the course ? I also think he’s a good instinctive footballer and his best position isn’t necessarily set in stone at the moment. Let’s just see how it goes. 

IMO he's a young lad with bags of potential and, to reach that, he needs to make good progress over the rest of this and next season. If he doesn't make that progress he'll be a L1 or lower player.

Personally, I like the lad and think he can make the grade as a good Championship player but he isn't going to do that if he's forever in and out of the team and playing God knows where next game. Left back, left or right wing back, left or right wing, DM, #10.... striker? How can he be expected to develop?

9 hours ago, MadAmster said:

IMO he's a young lad with bags of potential and, to reach that, he needs to make good progress over the rest of this and next season. If he doesn't make that progress he'll be a L1 or lower player.

Personally, I like the lad and think he can make the grade as a good Championship player but he isn't going to do that if he's forever in and out of the team and playing God knows where next game. Left back, left or right wing back, left or right wing, DM, #10.... striker? How can he be expected to develop?

I take your point but I think the chopping and changing at this part of his career might be a good thing. He’s learning as he goes. He’ll understand different aspects of the game and a broader appreciation of what a team and tactics really mean. I have a sense, that squeezing him in to a defined role early on might not  get the best out of him in the long term. This left wing back thing is interesting. It might improve his defensive awareness, make him fitter and give him the opportunity to use the full range of his abilities.  “You’re young Sibbo. AM preferred or left forward if needs must - that’s your job for the next 12 years” 

I’d prefer. Dynamic natural player with an attacking instinct, let’s see what he can become. 

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

What do the PFA see in our Louie that some of our own fans do not, I wonder! ??

Perhaps, like Louie himself, they like his hair.

That's the only reason I can think of to explain why I have never been nominated ? (bald as a coot, except coots aren't bald)

19 hours ago, angieram said:

What do the PFA see in our Louie that some of our own fans do not, I wonder! ??

Thought he had a good game today at LB although he does need to get himself in the gym as he often gets muscled off the ball.

I hadn’t realised until the Newport County game what a superb crosser of the ball he is with that wand of a left foot and today once again against the Wendies he put in some excellent deliveries.

In a 442 he could well cement a place at LM but long term I don’t see him as a LB or a LWB.

• 2 weeks later...

I detest the title of this thread, so I wish Louie's achievements had been posted elsewhere. But it is what it is. And this is a great achievement. Very pleased the lad is receiving some recognition for his abilities and work ethic. He's what we're lacking in central midfield, so I hope he can return there soon and we can start turning the draws into victories.

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I detest the title of this thread, so I wish Louie's achievements had been posted elsewhere. But it is what it is. And this is a great achievement. Very pleased the lad is receiving some recognition for his abilities and work ethic. He's what we're lacking in central midfield, so I hope he can return there soon and we can start turning the draws into victories.

Sorry, just put it in the first Sibley thread I found, didn’t want to start another. 
I’m with you on wanting to see him back further up the pitch, he’s done well playing out of position and has shown how receptive he is to Warne and the staff’s coaching as a result, so let’s see how that new found discipline and composure translate to an attacking role now that Roberts is back as an option at left back.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

How many fans' signatures did you need to forge? ?

57 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Sorry, just put it in the first Sibley thread I found, didn’t want to start another. 
I’m with you on wanting to see him back further up the pitch, he’s done well playing out of position and has shown how receptive he is to Warne and the staff’s coaching as a result, so let’s see how that new found discipline and composure translate to an attacking role now that Roberts is back as an option at left back.

He has got to be played further up the pitch where his finishing ability is desperately needed. He could play on the right side up front , and like Tom Ince , come in off the wing and score goals. He would have easily finished the chance Dobbin had v Burton.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

He has got to be played further up the pitch where his finishing ability is desperately needed. He could play on the right side up front , and like Tom Ince , come in off the wing and score goals. He would have easily finished the chance Dobbin had v Burton.

Sorry- whilst I agree he should be further forward his scoring exploits are a little overstated here.

He’s not exactly set the world alight.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Absolutely not you Caerphilly. The die had already been cast. I often think we should simply have a standard player thread for every player, like other forums do, which is just the player's name, rather than these pejorative titles. The classic was Keogh - always got a mistake in him. That one did my head in. Organizing as we do often gives the forum a negative feel towards the players, when just their names would be more neutral. Just a thought, @David. Maybe this way encourages more debate?

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Sorry- whilst I agree he should be further forward his scoring exploits are a little overstated here.

He’s not exactly set the world alight.

It is difficult when your boss keeps sending you to the bonfire without any matches. Until the Warne era, Sibley at best got 70 - 80 minutes on the bench before coming on, out of position, to help a team which was chasing the game. He only had 3 or 4 matches in his best position, and since Warne arrived he has played left back, which is not a position known for huge number of goals scored. 

As I often do, I say wait till he has had a significant run of matches in his favoured position, then start talking about how he is doing.