Cashin

IslandExile

The double jeopardy rules only applies if there was a reasonable attempt to play the ball, Cashin made no attempt to play the ball. If he'd lunged in with a tackle from behind and got reasonably close to the ball then the double jeopardy rule should have applied, but knowing this ref, that wouldn't have necessarily been so.

That was supposedly why Davies never got sent off against Ipswich, he was judged to have made a poor challenge for the ball.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Isn’t the double-jeopardy rule along the lines that the penalty is deemed punishment enough, and a red card would therefore be too harsh a punishment. I may be wrong on this, and it has been known!

As long as the player makes an attempt at winning the ball though

(Had Fozzy not been there) Cashin was pulling the striker’s shirt was than making a poor tackle.

Surprised and pleased we won to be honest because there was no attempt to win the ball as in the Cancello incident last week so can be  a penalty and a red, but I guess the refs incompetence helped us. Can't see a reason given as to why we won? 

Makes me wonder if we were given the nod to appeal as we got told we would be likely to win. 

Edited by oomarkwright

7 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Isn’t the double-jeopardy rule along the lines that the penalty is deemed punishment enough, and a red card would therefore be too harsh a punishment. I may be wrong on this, and it has been known!

That is right, but there’s 2 other factors. Firstly, needs to be last man, and secondly, needs to be deemed not a legitimate attempt to play the ball.

Prime example of this rule would be Curtis Davies at Accrington. It was given as a penalty and he was booked. If it was given as outside the box (which it actually was) then he would have got sent off and it would have been a free kick. 

7 hours ago, Yani P said:

Probably considered the ref was about 4 miles away from the incident.. surprised but happy it was overturned although Warne said the Premier League ref mate of his told him to appeal.

From the picture someone posted?the Ref was nowhere to be seen, So giving that decision and with an appeal in the making the Ref made himself look a very silly man, The bonus being Forsyth's comments on "it's not my job to tell you who did it" must have swung a little in Cashin's favour.

The initial incident was outside the box(just)Forsyth could have intercepted(just)we just have to be thankful that some officials aren't as good as they wish they were ?

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

From the picture someone posted?the Ref was nowhere to be seen, So giving that decision and with an appeal in the making the Ref made himself look a very silly man, The bonus being Forsyth's comments on "it's not my job to tell you who did it" must have swung a little in Cashin's favour.

The initial incident was outside the box(just)Forsyth could have intercepted(just)we just have to be thankful that some officials aren't as good as they wish they were ?

Why should we be thankful when the incompetence swung the game in Torquay's favour and has resulted in us needing to put our players through an extra 90+ mins of football in an already busy season?

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

A foul outside the box continuing into the penalty area is a penalty.
Also, the ref guessing what had occurred would, but still getting it right would result in the suspension being upheld.

There are two possible reasons for the successful appeal:
1. Forsyth covering. The Torquay attacker took a touch, and before he hit the floor, Forsyth was already there with the ball at his feet. 
2. The referee guessed and sent Cashin off for something other than a shirt pull. Given the ref's view, it was impossible for him to see the shirt pull. If he thought Cashin had tripped the attacker and this was put in the ref's report, I believe it could be appealed as there was clearly no trip.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A foul outside the box continuing into the penalty area is a penalty.
Also, the ref guessing what had occurred would, but still getting it right would result in the suspension being upheld.

There are two possible reasons for the successful appeal:
1. Forsyth covering. The Torquay attacker took a touch, and before he hit the floor, Forsyth was already there with the ball at his feet. 
2. The referee guessed and sent Cashin off for something other than a shirt pull. Given the ref's view, it was impossible for him to see the shirt pull. If he thought Cashin had tripped the attacker and this was put in the ref's report, I believe it could be appealed as there was clearly no trip.

This makes sense as it fits better with the “was it you” query to Forsyth (for trip) than was it you who did the shirt pull.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...