Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

13 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The biggest change though was Max Bird - thought he was superb today & stepping up the pitch suited him & the team massively. Rarely see him moving with the ball but he did that on a few occasions, his defensive work enabled us to win the ball higher up the pitch & his great range of passing enabled us to cut Cambridge open - most notably for Collins' 2nd.

Mentioned it before the game but Max Bird was very good last year when Bielik was in the side and it gave Bird more licence to get forward and get involved elsewhere on the pitch. If Warne removes his shackles we will see Bird at his best I’m sure. As much as he can do the holding midfielder role, it’s so limiting for him and isn’t his natural game. 

Edited by Srg

52 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Unpopular opinion but I think Curtis looks way off it since his injury and he’s landed us in trouble a few times not being able to get back quick enough, I think Rooney and Cashin alongside another will be the long term solution, and I do hope Curtis gets back to his best. 

Oh and I've just seen a Warney interview where he said Curtis was ill yesterday and didn't know if he'd get through the game.

Edited by RoyMac5

Didn't see the game unfortunately, but I think it was important to get that first away win for Warne early on, so for me this is worth more than 3 points.

If we'd looked average, even above average and failed to win, the worry about will we ever win away again would set in. It could easily become this annoyance in the background for Warne and his team.

That's out the way now though 

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Mentioned it before the game but Max Bird was very good last year when Bielik was in the side and it gave Bird more licence to get forward and get involved elsewhere on the pitch. If Warne removes his shackles we will see Bird at his best I’m sure. As much as he can do the holding midfielder role, it’s so limiting for him and isn’t his natural game. 

So so right. Max is extremely deft and subtle. I’ve been banging on for ages .. he isn’t a DM. Yes he can spray a pass but he is infinitely better higher up the pitch. In L1 as a DM he can get bullied. oh and we know he can shoot .. get him up there. 

42 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Well that was fun and first away match of season.
Happiest for Max Bird - great to see him back thriving. Collins was excellent everywhere not just the goals and have not been huge fan to date but he was busy today. Knight the midfield terrier where we need him. Osula really unsettled them and stronger than expecting. So funny how ropey his song was at first and felt bad for few players who still dont have a song!  Any else have tequila on on way home? 
Saw a Cambridge fan we knew outside after and he said "god we were loud today!" ??‍♀️?So bragging rights for my son at school Monday.

And finally lovely to meet @angieram. Assume you enjoyed that!?

Thank you, yes. Lovely to meet you, too. Pleased we sounded as loud as it appeared from in the mix.

I think @LeedsCityRam got it spot on, the only material difference in that first half was in the error that let us in. Of course, the way we achieved it was very different. 

But that goal gave us the confidence to ride our usual post halftime blip and go on to get that all important second goal.

Very pleased for Collins, but even more so for Max Bird.? @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army, if Warne can give Birdy freedom in that role every week (which some of us always knew he had in him) he will start to grow on me! ?

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I ended up walking back to the Park and Ride car park and so it wasn’t that bad. Back in Tamworth for 7:15 (and no, I didn’t leave before the final whistle and the players came over).

That's what we'd another time. Too much congestion both ways near the ground. We live and learn but I hope we're not there next season! ?

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh and I've just seen a Warney interview where he said Curtis was ill yesterday and didn't know if he'd get through the game.

I'm not usually an interview kind o' guy, and rarely bother tuning in, if I'm honest.
So much so, I made a conscious decision not to tune in to all the hyped up pressers this past week.  Mainly as I knew it would be all fortune telling, promises, and plans for the future.  Stuff that is no more than words.  Not really my cup of tea... or coffee, for that matter.  If I must tune in, I want to be hearing facts.  Opinions by people that can... or have... affected things... on actual events that have happened.  Comments about reality, not hope.

So, rightly or wrongly, despite having the opportunity this past week, and despite reading on here of others' opinions of his interviews, this is the first time I've tuned into any post match Rams manager interview for a good long while (Probably Rooney after we survived v Wendies, off the top of my head?).  It's also the first time I've listened to PW in front of a camera since that very same day, when he hinted at his displeasure of that afternoon's events!  ?

I have to say... I like him... a lot!
Blunt, but fair.  Clear, concise, and to the point.  Little in the way of waffle, clichés, and technical jargon.  Using terms familiar with the man on the street... me!
I think we'll get on just fine.

Welcome to my club, Mr Warne.  ??

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thank you, yes. Lovely to meet you, too. Pleased we sounded as loud as it appeared from in the mix.

I think @LeedsCityRam got it spot on, the only material difference in that first half was in the error that let us in. Of course, the way we achieved it was very different. 

But that goal gave us the confidence to ride our usual post halftime blip and go on to get that all important second goal.

Very pleased for Collins, but even more so for Max Bird.? @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army, if Warne can give Birdy freedom in that role every week (which some of us always knew he had in him) he will start to grow on me! ?

No the Cambridge fan said their fans were loud today!!! ???