Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Because we’re appointing an experienced yet small time manager, with a very limited way of playing who only really has an association with one club, a club very different to ours with different expectations, because he knows league 1, so he may get us out of league 1 great if not this season then next, but what pedigree does he have to indicate we wouldn’t be relegation fodder in the championship, that’s not where we want to be.

You may not think Liam is the right man but you can’t think this is the right appointment surely? I’d take my chances with Liam over Warne. A way of playing and everyone including the youngsters buy into him, a solid start to the season, his methods IMO would give us long term success but now we’ll never know.

As an alternative to Warne I’d take the manager who is currently bottom of the championship with Coventry, Mark Robins. Or id try to convince Nathan Jones. 

Everyone has to start somewhere. He has only managed at Rotherham, fine. That doesn't mean he can't do it elsewhere. Is there risk? Yes, but even appointments lauded by everyone on here such as Cocu were risky. 

Does he have a limiting style of play, or has he never had the facilities to play another way? Tell me, how much how you watched of his teams? Or are you just generalising? 

We're not in a position to be arrogant. First and foremost, we need to get out of League One. Worry about the Championship if we get there. If he's the wrong man if we reach the Championship, we can roll the dice. But we aren't. 

It's massively funny that you dismiss Warne for only experiencing success in one place and saying he lacks pedigree, and yet vouch for Rosenior in the same post. Rosenior is a far bigger risk, in my opinion. 

I really think as a fan base we need to give Warne a fair chance. 

How do we line up in the 3142 that Warne has recently played at Rotherham, does it suit the likes of Dobbin, NML & Barkhuizen?

Wildsmith - Chester Davies Cashin - Bird  - NML Knight Hourihane Roberts - Collins McGoldrick

Edited by DCFC1388

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Blackpool & Luton had similar budgets to Rotherham but both not only stayed up comfortably but also played much better football. I don't accept Warne's failure to adapt to the Championship as inevitable.

Re Rosenior - like I've argued, 9 games is an incredibly harsh basis on which to judge a manager but the evidence on that small sample does show him to be a success. We are 7th with 14 points - on par/ahead of most fans' expectations at start of the season & better at this stage than both of Arthur Cox's seasons in the old Division 3. He got us promoted in the second season - would Rosenior have done the same? We'll never know.

Rotherham have by far the smallest budget in the Championship and are presently sitting in 8th. He was unlucky to get relegated the season we escaped. Could have easily survived. 

Luton were 3 points off relegation their first season back in the Championship. Surviving the first year counts for everything, but is often decided by a bit of luck. Blackpool did well. That being said, let's not pretend that most clubs that come up have amazing success at staying up. The circumstances are a mitigating factor, if we are being reasonable. 

Rosenior has not shown evidence of being a success, I'm sorry but I just can't accept that. He's done okay. We have a lot of good players at this level and are sitting just outside the playoffs. The football is a bit slow and toothless. We haven't ever really gotten going, we just have been saved by moments of quality from good players. The Arthur Cox comparison is completely unfounded. 

57 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Main concern with Warne is that he's another Nathan Jones. Can do it in their comfort zone but struggle anywhere else. 

Time will tell.

For me, Warne is a risk because he isn't Nathan Jones. Warne's never made the move, so the first time he does, it will be a big learning curve for him. Let's hope it works out.

Because I think Jones is a good if not better manager, and has made the move once but failed, I think he would have learnt from that and been a better bet. 

Or should we have held on for Steve Copper who's bound to be sacked not long after the international break?

1 hour ago, Retro_RAM said:

This is it, I'm stick to death of twisting we've twisted for so many years and look where it has got us? Every time it hasn't been better, it's been pretty much the same with the only difference being the name on the managers parking space and I'm tired of it.

If this was always the plan and LR knew he was only keeping the seat warm then fine BUT if we're just (again) going for another manager because we're not smashing the league I'll be very disappointed.

This club needs stability more than ever and this change (assuming LR was led to believe this role could lead to permanent) just reeks of our old ways, same goals, same desperation of "twisting" on managers to get promoted.

I hope I'm wrong and if/when Warne joins us we stick with him just because we're not bossing the league...

Liam has only been interim manager. I think if LR had been given the job full time and he was being relieved today for another manager then the whole situation looks a bit more desperate as he has not been given time but the plan may have always been for someone else to come in. A big question is do the away performances and form look like they will change anytime soon? If the answer is no (which I assume it is as we look dire), then I think a new manager is the way to go who will bring about something different on the road.

DC will know what the senior pros think, what the feel is around the training ground, how Liam is regarded by the players, what expectations Liam has for this season etc.

So he's got infinitely more idea if this is for the best than us.

FWIW, Liam seems a great guy, speaks well...but then Warnock, Allardyce, Bruce even Roy Keane are able to turn a team round and get promotions..so who knows what skills you need at this level.

I'm happy to be honest. Bit of a gamble but less so than Liam who has no experience at all. People keeping harking back to Pearson, but he reminds me more of Paul Clement...with 3 promotions though!

Thought we needed a clean broom before the season started so overall I'm happy to see if this is the fresh start we need.

20 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

How long are you giving Warne before you criticise him? 10-15 games or your usual 5 games? ?

I think he has to be treated like any other manager we have had.

Praised when he does something well, criticised when something is seriously wrong.

That could be 50 minutes into Cambridge away when we are 4-0 down and playing James Chester up front. Or it could be in 200 games when we are beating United 4-0, not 5-0. Who knows?

I don’t know if Warne will succeed, but I can see the thinking behind it.

League 1 football is not what anyone wants and nor is it likely sustainable for us over a number of years, so we have to maximise our chances of getting out of the division.

I see this as a calculated risk, much less of a risk than sticking with Rosenior who has been figured out and nullified very quickly at a level he himself probably figured he was too clever for, but one that could pay off.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Rotherham have by far the smallest budget in the Championship and are presently sitting in 8th. He was unlucky to get relegated the season we escaped. Could have easily survived. 

Luton were 3 points off relegation their first season back in the Championship. Surviving the first year counts for everything, but is often decided by a bit of luck. Blackpool did well. That being said, let's not pretend that most clubs that come up have amazing success at staying up. The circumstances are a mitigating factor, if we are being reasonable. 

Rosenior has not shown evidence of being a success, I'm sorry but I just can't accept that. He's done okay. We have a lot of good players at this level and are sitting just outside the playoffs. The football is a bit slow and toothless. We haven't ever really gotten going, we just have been saved by moments of quality from good players. The Arthur Cox comparison is completely unfounded. 

Disagree with pretty much all that. I think you're focusing too much on short term success v long term trends - no way would Rotherham finish 8th this season, it's a short-term promotion bounce. As to your other points, Luton not only stayed up that first season but then went onto claim a top 6 spot in following season. Rotherham were not unfortunate the season they went down - they had about 4/5 games in hand that March/April & demonstrated so little quality, they absolutely deserved to go. I watched most of their last fixtures (many were on Sky) & they were incapable of winning a game at the same time we could only scrape 1 point from our last 7 games.

And the Arthur Cox comparison is very relevant as it demonstrates that slow starts do not translate into a final league position - it was in this division & it was with this club in a very similar state. Which negates your point about Rosenior not showing evidence of being a success.

Warne out
Warne must go, I have been looking at the states  and his record is terrible at Derby. We have not had a single win under him, not even a draw, in fact we have not even scored a goal under Warne. 

Welcome to the Derby way Warne. We will give you until the Cambridge match to prove yourself, if we do not win 5-0 we will be screaming for your head.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-warne-link-huddersfield-town-25074921.amp

Warne dennies interest in championship club Huddersfield job, so why would he be interested in Derby, given our current position, in League one.

The press, have selected a target, given that they have heard a rumour that lr, has been removed from his management duties at Derby.

I've previously gone on record saying that I didn't think that lr was the right man for the job, but he surprised me by winning the last game and he did so by doing something that I wanted him to do. He changed tactics during the game and he won that game.

A great manager in my opinion, is an adaptable one, who learns from his mistakes.

Half way through the summer we didn't have a team that would qualify to play in the league, 10+ players later and given no transfer budget, we are in a different position.

It takes time for thar many players to work together well as a team, and yet through lr leadership, they have.

I believe that under lr's management, we would win the next two games, taking us back in to the higher end of the play off positions.

I see us finishing the season in the play off positions.

Sheffield wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth remain the 3 clubs in my opinion who are most likely to be in the automatic promotion places.

We are not guaranteed to sign a better manager than lr.

I think that lr will only get better with time.

If a better manager was ready to sign a contract at the club, then maybe, but who is that better manager.

If lr has a better offer from another club, then that's different again, and I'd call the club foolish for not offering the perm role to lr sooner.

I think that lr should be the manager on a perm basis, given his current form. I would however, like to see him given an experienced older experienced manager as a deputy, to help guide him.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

He hasn't ever had a competitive squad or budget. Even at League One level, his budget and squad wasn't brilliant. He did well to get them promoted three times. He has good pedigree in League One. 

What evidence was there that Rosenior would be a success? His football was neat and tidy, but ultimately slow and a bit toothless. Slightly Cocu, in my opinion. 

I believe they had the 6th highest revenue and 6th highest wage bill.in all three of their seasons in L1

55 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-warne-link-huddersfield-town-25074921.amp

Warne dennies interest in championship club Huddersfield job, so why would he be interested in Derby, given our current position, in League one.

The press, have selected a target, given that they have heard a rumour that lr, has been removed from his management duties at Derby.

I've previously gone on record saying that I didn't think that lr was the right man for the job, but he surprised me by winning the last game and he did so by doing something that I wanted him to do. He changed tactics during the game and he won that game.

A great manager in my opinion, is an adaptable one, who learns from his mistakes.

Half way through the summer we didn't have a team that would qualify to play in the league, 10+ players later and given no transfer budget, we are in a different position.

It takes time for thar many players to work together well as a team, and yet through lr leadership, they have.

I believe that under lr's management, we would win the next two games, taking us back in to the higher end of the play off positions.

I see us finishing the season in the play off positions.

Sheffield wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth remain the 3 clubs in my opinion who are most likely to be in the automatic promotion places.

We are not guaranteed to sign a better manager than lr.

I think that lr will only get better with time.

If a better manager was ready to sign a contract at the club, then maybe, but who is that better manager.

If lr has a better offer from another club, then that's different again, and I'd call the club foolish for not offering the perm role to lr sooner.

I think that lr should be the manager on a perm basis, given his current form. I would however, like to see him given an experienced older experienced manager as a deputy, to help guide him.

So from your tone you don't believe that Warne is taking the job?

From the press reports I've read, it's a done deal...so this post seems a bit out of step with the current situation otherwise?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I believe they had the 6th highest revenue and 6th highest wage bill.in all three of their seasons in L1

Out of interest, is there data available on the distribution between teams? You'd have to assume for example that Sunderland/Wednesday/Ipswich all have been pretty significantly far ahead of the pack when it has come to spending/wage bills in these years? 

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s obvious scaremongering.

The vast majority of Derby fans believe we should be a footballing side, so naturally any manager who deviates from that even slightly will be talked down. Even though in real terms, Billy Davies is the only manager to have a degree of success with us since the turn of the century.

Cocu and Lampard raised the roof. Pearson and Rowett were treated with suspicion. So too now is Warne.

I prefer to look at Warne’s record and the circumstances he was working under. To me, everything points to him having done a good job at Rotherham and showing skill in what he was asked to do.

Will he be a success here? Who knows? But he has had success in League 1. He has got a team out of this league three times in three attempts. This is positive, no? What has Rosenior done by comparison?

So surely if you put concerns about style to one side, Warne is the safer bet.

You only appear on here to literally moan about everything and I've said this before ....it is not scaremongering....The football under Rowett was poo at best and Jewell and Pearson were experienced managers with track records of promotion...fact! and yet they were poor as p*** here so you mentioning warnes record of promotions is neither here nor there

Every manager when appointed is a risk no matter who and LR was given 9 games with a virtual new squad, will you be calling for Warnes head after 9 games as thats usually the only reason you pop up on here is to have a dig, you're never happy no matter what 

7 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

How do we line up in the 3142 that Warne has recently played at Rotherham, does it suit the likes of Dobbin, NML & Barkhuizen?

Wildsmith - Chester Davies Cashin - Bird  - NML Knight Hourihane Roberts - Collins McGoldrick

He plays with 1 defensive midfielder!?! What kind of sorcery is this! 

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So from your tone you don't believe that Warne is taking the job?

From the press reports I've read, it's a done deal...so this post seems a bit out of step with the current situation otherwise?

Once its confirmed on the BBC, I will accept that view.

For now here's a reminder of warnes accomplishments.

Warne manages the Millers who are in eighth place in the Championship after six eventful years in charge during which time he has three times led them out of the third tier and three times taken them back down.