Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Been going with my dad to the matches for 30 years and don't ever recall him calling for the managers head.

Last Tuesday after the Lincoln match he said he thought Rosenior was out of his depth and, may be a good coach, just not a good manager.

Just for clarity, I am not David Clowes son either.

From Mr Giddypant RUFC Forum

I was going to post this on the Derby forum, but couldn't be arsed.

I have been supporting Rotherham since 1958. I'm devastated if this is fact, and increasingly it's looking likely. Few of you have done your homework. You share the (previously correct) impression that we are a long-ball team with limited ability to play 'proper' football.

Many of you have voiced doubts that Warney could make best use of your 'talented' team. Fear not. Warney has proved himself adept at utilising the talents of his players. His ambitions have been limited by the resources available to him, not by an ideological devotion to a 'hit and hope' philosophy.

This year we have recruited players who add to the pool of talent we had last year. Except for Warney's first year in the job we have seen a progressive development in terms of player recruitment and positive achievements on, and off, the field.

As a man manager I doubt there are few better at this level. He has personalty and wit. I love the man and what he has done for my club.

Think yourselves lucky.

Feel free to copy and paste.

PS, with any luck he'll be sacked within the year and come back 'home'.

Thats sounds to me the sort of thing I'd love to hear from the Rotherham fans....

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What none of us know is was LR being given the chance to prove himself (in which case, 9 games doesn't seem long enough, despite our shocking away record, given the hand he was dealt) or was he genuinely only ever an interim manager pending the appointment of a permanent manager (in which case, the sooner it happened the better). I just hope he was treated fairly and communicated with in the right way.

I made a similar point earlier ?

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If we are 10th at Christmas what do we do then ?

We march on PP and demand Rosenior is reinstated. Can't believe our owner would have the sense to appoint an interim manager whilst he assessed the whole club, then decide a new approach would be best. Everyone is envious of our relentless pursuit to do the same thing over and over again in our excellent 3 in 30+ away wins.

I will trust our owner and not immediately herald him the new Mel because he does something bold.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

You didn’t answer the question ?

If we're 10th at Christmas then we must improve for the second half of the season. A manager change won't be necessary. 

Rosenior was interim. He hasn't been sacked from anything because the job was never his. It's only some fans who have built up this narrative. 

I don't think the change has anything to do with league position. We're still relatively early in the season, 7th place and only a handful of points from the top 2. The change has been made because the owner believes the man he is bringing in will do a better job. 

45 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Ah yes the famously sustainable Brighton. They've only lost about £300 million since being in the prem and posted a £39 million loss in their last championship season. They were on the same trajectory as us spending wise but managed to succeed where we failed. They are not a sustainable club though.

Who says i'm judging him on a few games? What a terrible counter argument. I can't wait for you to find where i've said that. Go on - i'll happily wait whilst you find it. 

Your sample size is way too small. Don't blame everyone else for criticising you for cherry picking a meaningless stat. David Nugents scored in every game he has ever played for England, but he's not our greatest ever striker - its meaningless.

I was relatively happy with the job he was doing and i find it strange he's been let go with us 7th in league one, but don't let that get in the way of your moaning.

People can judge his performance on what we've seen so far and frankly i can see why people aren't too upset to see him go. Of our 4 league wins so far it took us until the 80th minute to score in one, the 88th minute to score in another and the 86th minute to take the lead in another. Very fine margins there and having a million shots each game is meaningless if they never look like going in the net.

“Sustainable in premier league terms”, recruited a manager to play a certain style, now recruited another with the same philosophy suited to the playing squad, excellent recruitment, sporting director structure with one of the best CEOs around and an owner who backs his club but stays well out of it.

I also mentioned Brentford who are an example of a sustainable club and their owner didn’t have millions to throw at it. Followed a set strategy and continue in line with that strategy, again the owner leaves the running of his club to others. We have Clowes, his MD from Clowes developments Dickinson, and Stephen Pearce - sounds familiar doesn’t it.

You may not think Liam was the right man, I disagree with you and considering the circumstances we’ve had a more than creditable start to the season with the prospect of further progress. But what about Paul Warne being first choice? a one club man at a much smaller club than ours playing a completely different style of football to the players we have with no prospect of changing it because we’re working under a business plan, all because “he knows league 1”?! Paul Jewell and Nigel Pearson knew the championship!! Does that not seem short sighted to you?

Its exactly this approach I hoped Derby wouldn’t follow because it’s what kept Sunderland and Sheff United down here for years, and it’s straight out of the Mel playbook. With the exception of Portsmouth, The teams at the top of the league have inexperienced but talented coaches given time to execute their philosophy. 

2 hours ago, SK47 said:

I'm not gonna lie... VERY stupid decision. You don't let a manager go after this amount of games, building a team spirit and relationship with a team that's been together 7-8 weeks.. we're 7th in the league.. just finding our feet and now you want someone else to come in who will have a new philosophy?

Unless it's a decision by LR rather than us, very stupid decision. Some of our players are here because of their bond with LR and without him, I think the likes of Knight etc will be gone in January. Just my opinion obviously, but far too soon for decisions like this. Look after those that stood by when the ship was sinking when they could of left, but didn't For the love of the club and us as fans.

?????

I'd like to think that of those (few) players that stayed, their bond with the club and fans meant more than any bond with LR.

If LR continued to play Kinght at RB, Bird alongside another DM, and leave Sibley out of the team altogether, I think all 3 might have been heading for the exit in January.

Hopefully a new manager will get the best out of these 3 players, in their best positions, as they should be the future of the club, not necessarily Smith, Collins and Hourihane just because they were brought in by LR.

The new manager shouldn't have any such issues. He can simply play any player on their merit.

It does amaze me that so many on here have been able to categorically conclude that Rosenior ‘isn’t the one’ after 9 games with a new team (can’t emphasis the last bit enough; this isn’t just a few new players, it’s a completely new squad and team, bound to be some issues in terms of gelling, style of play, best 11 etc).  

We were all saying before the season started that it would be tough going for a bit while things settled down, but as soon as the season starts all that gets thrown out of the window and before 10 games have gone final judgements are being made all over the shop.

This isn’t to say Liam was definitely ‘the one’ or is marvellous or anything. Again, too early to say. Might also turn out to be a master stroke in getting Warne in; who knows?  I think LR was worth persevering with is all, as there no guarantees anybody else will be better.

However, still wouldn’t surprise me if there is something else going on here. Happened so rapidly, makes you wonder if there’s a lot we don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

There’s stability and there’s stability in League 1.

That’s clearly not what we are looking for.

Random manager choices (as Warne clearly is, in no way a good fit for Derby in terms of personnel to fit his style of play or experience of this size of club ) is exactly what will ensure we’re in league 1 for years 

Concerns being expressed about Warne’s ‘style’.  Some of these are quite worrying but will reserve judgement until I’ve seen us play under him.

However, Rowett said when he came that he’d be able to change and adapt his footballing philosophy to the players he had at his disposal. This was proven to be complete horsepoop. He came as an awful negative , back foot, dreary hope to catch people on the break and win 1-0 merchant and that is what he stayed. Hopefully this new chap will be different.

10 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

From Mr Giddypant RUFC Forum

I was going to post this on the Derby forum, but couldn't be arsed.

I have been supporting Rotherham since 1958. I'm devastated if this is fact, and increasingly it's looking likely. Few of you have done your homework. You share the (previously correct) impression that we are a long-ball team with limited ability to play 'proper' football.

Many of you have voiced doubts that Warney could make best use of your 'talented' team. Fear not. Warney has proved himself adept at utilising the talents of his players. His ambitions have been limited by the resources available to him, not by an ideological devotion to a 'hit and hope' philosophy.

This year we have recruited players who add to the pool of talent we had last year. Except for Warney's first year in the job we have seen a progressive development in terms of player recruitment and positive achievements on, and off, the field.

As a man manager I doubt there are few better at this level. He has personalty and wit. I love the man and what he has done for my club.

Think yourselves lucky.

Feel free to copy and paste.

PS, with any luck he'll be sacked within the year and come back 'home'.

Thats sounds to me the sort of thing I'd love to hear from the Rotherham fans....

I agree, just the right amount of salt. I especially like the 'talented' part.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What none of us know is was LR being given the chance to prove himself (in which case, 9 games doesn't seem long enough, despite our shocking away record, given the hand he was dealt) or was he genuinely only ever an interim manager pending the appointment of a permanent manager (in which case, the sooner it happened the better). I just hope he was treated fairly and communicated with in the right way.

There's more to this than we think. This is not a results or performance decision. I reckon there was some agreement between DC and LR, maybe LR's contract breached Steve Gibsons/Rick Parrys terms of survival and DC had to do the interim thing to buy time.

I just hope we get a honest statement about it after all we have been through. No bullpoo, just tell us the truth so we can move on quickly and continue to get behind the players on the pitch.

Now then, there must be a young Kevin Francis somewhere we can pick up for a song.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

If we're 10th at Christmas then we must improve for the second half of the season. A manager change won't be necessary. 

Rosenior was interim. He hasn't been sacked from anything because the job was never his. It's only some fans who have built up this narrative. 

I don't think the change has anything to do with league position. We're still relatively early in the season, 7th place and only a handful of points from the top 2. The change has been made because the owner believes the man he is bringing in will do a better job. 

So he can come in and do worse than LR but be given a lot more time ?