Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

4 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Nope not going Jim, You're not going to convince me that playing a half arsed team against another half arsed team in a half arsed competition, I wouldn't go if it were FOC to get in.

We used to say”We could put 11 Derby shirts on a washing line and fans would turn up to watch”. What about giving kids free tickets for this game? Also remember a £100 away day is giving nothing to DCFC. Spend it at PP.We need cash for a striker!

1 hour ago, jono said:

If Gruel - Pollard scores I am going to say “please sir can I have some more” 

Pun noted but are you thinking this a possibility? Can't take too much from 7 minutes of U21 highlights but he didn't look too happy there!

8 minutes ago, jameso said:

Pun noted but are you thinking this a possibility? Can't take too much from 7 minutes of U21 highlights but he didn't look too happy there!

I couldn’t help it, every time I see his name, makes me chuckle and think of BBC Dickens productions from long ago.
TBH I know nothing about him but someone suggested he might make the suds bench. What position does he play ? 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

I couldn’t help it, every time I see his name, makes me chuckle and think of BBC Dickens productions from long ago.
TBH I know nothing about him but someone suggested he might make the suds bench. What position does he play ? 

It sounds like you have great expectations of him regardless of his position. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Do we get anything/much from catering these days? I’ve lost track of if it’s outsourced or not. I don’t think the club would get much from merchandise sales. How many season ticket holders are going to buy a shirt or scarf just because they attended an early round cup match (excluding half and half’s of course ?)?

I understand your sentiment about creating a bit more of an atmosphere but, when it comes to costs, it’s not just about entry to the game. Sorry, I know I’m a half fan but I’m not going to drive up from Tamworth for a mid week game against Grimsby in the PJ Trophy even if admission was included in my ST and I know there are ST holders that live much further away than I do.

Before anyone asks, I know it’s a bit hypercritical but yes I might be interested if we reached Wembley but that’s a bit more interesting than Grimsby at home (no offence. I’m sure Grimsby fans feel the same) and more of a day out. If we did get there then I would be fully supportive of those attending earlier rounds getting ticket priority.

Fair point, without knowing the catering arrangements it's anyone's guess about the % of revenue that would actually come to the club. Would a half and half Derby - Grimsby scarf sway you into coming? If so I'll put a call in...

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

The trouble is that for cup games the gate money has to be spread between the home club, the away club and the organisers of he competition. If we've got 19,000 season tickets holders, we would have to pay the away team and the organisers their share of the revenue from the season ticket sales for that match, whether or not those season ticket holders turn up.

Yeah I get that, perhaps instead then offer STHs a free ticket which they have to claim from the ticket office rather than have it included in the ST price. I'm sure there'd be a way to do it if someone worked out it'd be a better option for the club financially. Perhaps they already have and decided it's not worth it , who knows...

1 hour ago, TaahnRam said:

Yeah I get that, perhaps instead then offer STHs a free ticket which they have to claim from the ticket office rather than have it included in the ST price. I'm sure there'd be a way to do it if someone worked out it'd be a better option for the club financially. Perhaps they already have and decided it's not worth it , who knows...

Not surprisingly, it doesn’t look like that would be an option:

21.11  Where the Home Club issues season tickets which allow holders of such tickets:

21.11.1  free admission to a match in the Competition then each season ticket holder that attends is treated as having bought a ticket at the same price as that allocated to that seat for that match; or

21.11.2  discounted admission to a match in the Competition then in calculating the amount to be included as Gross Receipts of the match any discount from the admission price shall be excluded.

1 hour ago, jono said:

An attacking left back, currently playing at centre half due to our horrendous injury list.

We’re likely to get knocked out here realistically, even if we play our strongest team. So we may as well rest some of our key players - with such a busy schedule coming up - and give some of our reserve players a change to show what they can do, and keep their fitness up. It’s a long season, and we’ll need everyone firing if called upon.

Loach

Knight Rooney Roberts Forsyth

Smith Thompson

Mendez-Laing Sibley Barkhuizen

McGoldrick

2 hours ago, TaahnRam said:

Another thing to take into consideration is that both sides need to accept the ticket pricing arrangements and I think that there is also minimum price set by the organisers, but I'm not certain about that one.

6 hours ago, TaahnRam said:

Always feel the club misses a trick by not including cup vouchers in season tickets any more. Used to guarantee a crowd of 10-12k even for a nothing match. I think we'd see a gain in overall revenue from merchandise/catering even if we gave one or two free cup vouchers a year for no extra charge. In particular, I would have liked to have seen this adopted for the PJ Trophy games this season to try and generate a little bit of a crowd/atmosphere for the players.

As things stand for the Grimsby game next week, we're looking at an attendance of 1-2k which will I think be the lowest ever at PP? Even for the friendlies we were getting significantly more which seems bonkers. 

Then we'd be paying the away side to come. 45% of gate receipts go to the away side.

I  your scenario, despite them being 'free' (included in ST), there would still be an assigned value for the game. If we said the average was £8 per season ticket for a cup game, that's £72k for the away side, and £32k to the EFL, and NOTHING for us. No guarantee many of those fans will actually turn up either. 

Or, if not included with ST and just 6k turn up (plus 3k away fans), that's £32k to us.

Would we really get an extra £136k from catering if giving free admittance to season ticket holders? I certainly do not think so.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

An attacking left back, currently playing at centre half due to our horrendous injury list.

He was making very good progress last season. Wasn't sure if he's being groomed as a possible ball-playing centre-half (I think he played there a few times last season) or he's there because of injuries. Either way he has had (and will have again) much better games than he seemed to vs Sunderland u21s. Looks like they want them playing out from the back, which makes sense if that's what they'd be doing for the first XI one day... but some way to go yet!

1 hour ago, jameso said:

He was making very good progress last season. Wasn't sure if he's being groomed as a possible ball-playing centre-half (I think he played there a few times last season) or he's there because of injuries. Either way he has had (and will have again) much better games than he seemed to vs Sunderland u21s. Looks like they want them playing out from the back, which makes sense if that's what they'd be doing for the first XI one day... but some way to go yet!

Same for the 1st 11 tbh.

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Before anyone asks, I know it’s a bit hypercritical but yes I might be interested if we reached Wembley but that’s a bit more interesting than Grimsby at home (no offence. I’m sure Grimsby fans feel the same) and more of a day out. If we did get there then I would be fully supportive of those attending earlier rounds getting ticket priority.

Only surprised you'd be interested at all to be honest. I'd have zero interest if we got to Wembley and won the Papa John's Trophy, perhaps I haven't had the reality dose of what we are as yet but I don't see any prestige in winning that whatsoever. I can just imagine the p*** taking from down the road with them competing in the Prem and us having a parade in Derby for our glory in the lower league's pizza trophy. Shudder thinking about it, best we put the kids out in my view and give them some game time and experience.

53 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Only surprised you'd be interested at all to be honest. I'd have zero interest if we got to Wembley and won the Papa John's Trophy, perhaps I haven't had the reality dose of what we are as yet but I don't see any prestige in winning that whatsoever. I can just imagine the p*** taking from down the road with them competing in the Prem and us having a parade in Derby for our glory in the lower league's pizza trophy. Shudder thinking about it, best we put the kids out in my view and give them some game time and experience.

This is the league cup thread.

Shame the crowd is going to be small, completely understand that times are hard and WBA at home is not a great fixture , for non ST holders cost of quite a few home games over next few weeks 

Tbh , I Wasn’t going to bother , but as I am fortunate in being able to afford it , I gave myself a talking too as I would of certainly gone to a new  away ground ( and that would have certainly been far more expensive) , it was only a couple of months ago when I/we were unsure we would have a club to support ...my tenner won’t I guess make much of a difference but I just want to support the club 

Pity I can’t sit in my ST seat but hey a chance to experience the game in another area