Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

11 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Have we got any young fringe strikers we could give some shooting practice to? 

Not really.

We have Bartosz Cybulski and George Nunn in the U21s and Cian Kelly Caprani has played up front before although that’s not his best position. Then we’re into the U18s with Zion Dixon (second year scholar) plus Dajaune Brown and Lennon Wheeldon (both first years).

Trouble is, with current injuries, both the U21s and U18s are already down to the bare bones on match days.

Wildsmith 

oduroh. Stearman Cashin Roberts 

Smith     Rooney.     Thompson 

Sibley
          McGoldrick Dobbin  

little choice at centre half unless Chester is given some time whilst the forward three could easily play in a flat three but I doubt it as West Brom have plenty of players who need game time and I don’t think we will have the ball much

48 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

5-6 k. You are joking! But not many Fleetwood fans turned up for their “Cup Final”. Perhaps we are not as Massive as we think we are . Come on fans show how grateful we are at still having a club.

Nope not going Jim, You're not going to convince me that playing a half arsed team against another half arsed team in a half arsed competition, I wouldn't go if it were FOC to get in.

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

But you paid to watch Belper v Warrington last Saturday?

I did, All down to choice, I can drink a pint while watching, I see an old friend, It's a day out that's different in so many ways for me ?

Edited by Unlucky Alf

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

What if we get to Wembley, still not interested.

Absolutely not interested, I never went to the Villa Final, Gave my supporter number to my Son to use, But you know we're not going to Wembley...right Pete ?

West Brom will rest some players, but with a much bigger squad than us will still probably be fielding a decent side.

We ought to consider dropping those that are up to fitness, perhaps those who were with us last year, and possibly new signings who LR and the team think are now up to speed, and give a run out to those who need some game time for whatever reason.

I'd have any other attacking players on the bench who maybe need a goal for some confidence, and consider bringing them on with say 30 minutes to go.

Would rather lose this game say 4-2, but Collins and/or Dobbin and/or Sibbo getting a goal, than play out another timid draw.

We need to kick-start our goalscorers fir the league matches ASAP.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Just over 6,000 sold.

Always feel the club misses a trick by not including cup vouchers in season tickets any more. Used to guarantee a crowd of 10-12k even for a nothing match. I think we'd see a gain in overall revenue from merchandise/catering even if we gave one or two free cup vouchers a year for no extra charge. In particular, I would have liked to have seen this adopted for the PJ Trophy games this season to try and generate a little bit of a crowd/atmosphere for the players.

As things stand for the Grimsby game next week, we're looking at an attendance of 1-2k which will I think be the lowest ever at PP? Even for the friendlies we were getting significantly more which seems bonkers. 

Edited by TaahnRam

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Not really.

We have Bartosz Cybulski and George Nunn in the U21s and Cian Kelly Caprani has played up front before although that’s not his best position. Then we’re into the U18s with Zion Dixon (second year scholar) plus Dajaune Brown and Lennon Wheeldon (both first years).

Trouble is, with current injuries, both the U21s and U18s are already down to the bare bones on match days.

Thought it might be something like that but cheers for the info. 

No point in wetting our panties over lack of goals then if there are no realistic alternatives ?

5 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

Always feel the club misses a trick by not including cup vouchers in season tickets any more. Used to guarantee a crowd of 10-12k even for a nothing match. I think we'd see a gain in overall revenue from merchandise/catering even if we gave one or two free cup vouchers a year for no extra charge. In particular, I would have liked to have seen this adopted for the PJ Trophy games this season to try and generate a little bit of a crowd/atmosphere for the players.

As things stand for the Grimsby game next week, we're looking at an attendance of 1-2k which will I think be the lowest ever at PP? Even for the friendlies we were getting significantly more which seems bonkers. 

You can never please everyone, they stopped including cup vouchers because some  people didn’t want to pay for games that they had no interest in.

20 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

Do we get anything/much from catering these days? I’ve lost track of if it’s outsourced or not. I don’t think the club would get much from merchandise sales. How many season ticket holders are going to buy a shirt or scarf just because they attended an early round cup match (excluding half and half’s of course ?)?

I understand your sentiment about creating a bit more of an atmosphere but, when it comes to costs, it’s not just about entry to the game. Sorry, I know I’m a half fan but I’m not going to drive up from Tamworth for a mid week game against Grimsby in the PJ Trophy even if admission was included in my ST and I know there are ST holders that live much further away than I do.

Before anyone asks, I know it’s a bit hypercritical but yes I might be interested if we reached Wembley but that’s a bit more interesting than Grimsby at home (no offence. I’m sure Grimsby fans feel the same) and more of a day out. If we did get there then I would be fully supportive of those attending earlier rounds getting ticket priority.

Edited by Tamworthram

I almost feel this is a free hit a.though I think we can get something out of it. If we get a goal or two in to the bargain then it can only do us good. If it goes wrong, any damage is pretty limited. 

If Gruel - Pollard scores I am going to say “please sir can I have some more” 

UTR ?

1 hour ago, TaahnRam said:

The trouble is that for cup games the gate money has to be spread between the home club, the away club and the organisers of he competition. If we've got 19,000 season tickets holders, we would have to pay the away team and the organisers their share of the revenue from the season ticket sales for that match, whether or not those season ticket holders turn up.

I don't think closing the West Stand and not reserving seats for STH is a good idea - OK, I'm biased because I'm being forced to rough it in the East Stand. 

The majority of our crowds are season ticket holders and so much of our match day experience is sitting with a group of mates. It's putting a barrier in the way that doesn't need to be there.