Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Also I’m not gonna add to my Collins thread from a couple of weeks back just yet, but I think the key difference between home and away is that at home Collins can move defenders about more and create gaps for shots because of the size of the pitch. Away from home on tighter pitches I don’t think he can do that as easy, so the opposition can near on make a wall in their own box whilst we are passing around the box trying to find that gap.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Disappointing result but we're doing everything right bar scoring.

Personally, I don't think we need to change things, have a plan B etc, we need a good end to the transfer market and try to bring in a Jack Marriott - someone thats gonna bag 20 goals in League 1.  Typically you need 80+ goals to get out of the league, back to front we're doing everything right, just need goals ? 

Football is about scoring goals

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Another first half where we absolutely battered them for possession, second half we  seem to lack ideas or options - The bench today again shows how few attacking options we have.

Sibley needs to start and try going 442 -  disappointed in Hourihane TBH;  poor corners, passes going astray (especially second half). Expected better and I know he's capable of it.

His corners were excellent and with variety!

52 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

LR after match interview re. Sibley. Says he’s got a big part to play. Feels he’s effective being used against a tiring team (after 60 mins) when the game gets stretched. 

Had to laugh, but not at you.

What happened to the best midfielder in the league, where does he fit?

2 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I don't know what Sibley has to do to get rewarded with a string of starts.

If he's on for the 90, playing in his best position, we create enough chances to win that for me. He created an absolute hat full and he frees up other players with his runs and excellent touches and movement in the final third. 

If Sibley doesn't start the next game Liam can put himself in the bin.

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

LR after match interview re. Sibley. Says he’s got a big part to play. Feels he’s effective being used against a tiring team (after 60 mins) when the game gets stretched. 

When I saw the starting line up I didn't expect us to score. Dobbin has one good performance as sub and is brought straight into the team. Sibley has been outstanding in every performance this season and Rosenior refuses to start him. What's that about? Seriously?We have only scored all season when Louie has been on the pitch. Zero goals without him playing. It is unfathomable. Of course Rosenior will start him in a second string midweek in the League Cup, but this team which has not scored a single away league goal so far, needs him there from the off in every league game. 

If Rosenior really thinks Sibley's more effective coming on off the bench, then Rosenior doesn't know what he's talking about. Which is worrying. While it sounds as if we were a little better today, the frustration for so many of us is it's clear we could be so much better but the manager is beginning to appear too stubborn to see what's so obviously staring him in the face. 

What's "Derby" short for? "Derby nil" at the moment.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

When I saw the starting line up I didn't expect us to score. Dobbin has one good performance as sub and is brought straight into the team. Sibley has been outstanding in every performance this season and Rosenior refuses to start him. What's that about? ...

Thought Dobbin looks really lively but played too deep. Why he starts, dunno, but at least he starts instead of Smith. 

Sibley is looking really strong (at last he's 'grown up' ? ) when he held that challenge off running against the last defender you knew he's more than ready to start games. 

2 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

Let's start with how to score more goals against the weaker teams in the division?

LR responded to the issue in a number of ways, including by using even more width, which caused problems, and (sometimes) by taking more care from attacking set pieces. We threatened today and were unlucky and we will surely continue to adapt to deal with the park-the-bus problem. It’s early days - the transfer window isn’t even shut 

34 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Football is about scoring goals

Well its not just about scoring goals.  We have the joint best defence along with Ipswich atm ?

Lets remember where we were a few weeks ago before David Clowes stepped in and saved us from oblivion.  A lot of pundits had Ipswich and Sheff Weds down as favourites for promotion this season, they have been in League One for a few seasons now and their starting point for rebuilding was far better than ours.

I agree its frustrating not to score and win games we dominate but other than scoring goals there is a lot to be pleased about watching us play.  You can see the team has progressed and is starting to gel nicely since the opening day, we just desperately need to start scoring. 

I'm still hoping a couple of signings will come and add some firepower - if they do, we still have a helluva chance of getting out of the division at the first attempt.  If not, and its mid-table this year, we've laid the groundwork for next season.

2 hours ago, Orphanram said:

Hourihane comments about us needing to wise up and influence ref’s in the game are interesting. I noticed him berating Bird to get up to the ref as the Captain and get in his ear after a poor decision. 

Yes, because Hourihane getting in the ref's face earned him a booking and the subsequent awarding of a string of soft free-kicks to Fleetwood. Worked well  that!

1 hour ago, SSD said:

If we weren't in the games and struggled to get on the ball I'd be concerned. Collins will eventually score. Steve Howard took a few games to settle in before he scored plenty. 

Fozzie rolling crosses in from the left at will today, especially in the first half. Collins hasn’t seen that before in anger and wasn’t in the right place. That’ll change 

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

LR responded to the issue in a number of ways, including by using even more width, which caused problems, and (sometimes) by taking more care from attacking set pieces. We threatened today and were unlucky and we will surely continue to adapt to deal with the park-the-bus problem. It’s early days - the transfer window isn’t even shut 

The timing of the transfer window is a moot point is it not given we can still sign free agents which a number of our signings have been already. 

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Had to laugh, but not at you.

What happened to the best midfielder in the league, where does he fit?

I’m not sure. 442 who does he replace in midfield? Or does he play as a winger? Or start the role that Dobbin took today? 433, with Bird and Hourihane. Keep Knight RB? Take out Bark?