Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

I’m not sure what to say after that, the tactics and set up were good. We had a 20 minute spell in the 2nd half where we just kept going long which lost our momentum and then we went back to our normal game in the last 15 minutes and started creating chances. The players have to take responsibility for not getting it in the net today, I can’t see how you can criticise the manager or coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

A system that leads to 27 shots away from home. I’ll have that any day of the week. 

Exactly. Someone will get battered some day soon.

I remember under Mac there was a spell where we couldn't score. Was it 3 games without a goal? Even though we were creating lots.

Next game up was Forest at home. Boom. 5-0.

It's coming. I'm sure of it.

It’s disappointing but there’s still time and room in the squad to try and fix some of these issues. In the meantime, we need to make sure our home form helps us keep pace with the rest.

Posh & Plymouth up next at home, two of the better sides in the league. If we can get two wins then that’ll go a long way to allay some of the worries. At least we’ve not got an away game for 3 weeks ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Which needs to be dealt with by effective coaching.....

Which unfortunately we clearly don't have.

Said it two years ago, we need a clean start in attacking coaching

Edited by DerbyRam!

Very frustrating more than anything else, all that possession, the chances and the shots and no goals.

Not panicking…it will come.

4 points dropped in the last two games. Shrewsbury and Fleetwood were awful, should be beating teams like them if we have any ambition to get out this league. All this nonsense about "it's only 5 games in", or "need time to gel" I don't buy it. The football is neat and tidy from defense up to the middle of the pitch and there seems to be a collective understanding to a certain extent, but as soon as the ball is in the final third, we are toothless. LR has got his work cut out, needs to find a solution ASAP. Very disappointing again, despite the neat football played in the first half. Anyway, onwards and upwards, bring on Peterborough.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Disappointing result but we're doing everything right bar scoring.

Personally, I don't think we need to change things, have a plan B etc, we need a good end to the transfer market and try to bring in a Jack Marriott - someone thats gonna bag 20 goals in League 1.  Typically you need 80+ goals to get out of the league, back to front we're doing everything right, just need goals ? 

Now trying to find a striker who can bang in 20+ goals on a freebie and with our wage restrictions.

There lies the problem.

We are creating chances and we will start to score soon .

Stay strong positive and patient people and the wins will come .?

This start to the season should not be bed wetting territory. Two admittedly frustrating 0-0s away from home but creating a lot, not conceding. 

8th in the league at August but I mean who cares who’s top at this stage. FOURTY ONE GAMES LEFT. 

We were bottom in Jim Smith’s promotion season about now. 

4 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I don't know what Sibley has to do to get rewarded with a string of starts.

If he's on for the 90, playing in his best position, we create enough chances to win that for me. He created an absolute hat full and he frees up other players with his runs and excellent touches and movement in the final third. 

If Sibley doesn't start the next game Liam can put himself in the bin.

Scoring a goal would be nice.

Barkhuisen gets ahead of him currently purely because he has scored.

I think McGoldrick and Dobbin should partner NML upfront.

Bird and Hourihane are certain starters. Will LS persuade LR he can start at LM?

That would be a bold selection but one which might create chances. Whether we can convert them is another matter.

It's bloody frustrating but it's still early. I say this every week but if it's still the same problems two months down the line then yes there is clearly a conversation to be had. 

It's not bad at all. We're 8th, creating chances, still keeping up pace with the rest and now have two home games.

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

At least we're at home the next two games. We will win both

Hmm... problem is that the teams we have played so far (home or away) none of them will finish in the top 6. Neither will we if we cannot score goals.  Peterborough don't seem to have that problem so we need to up our game for the next match or else we will lose that one.