Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

The tactics are the problem here again. To slow in possession in our own half. Acres of space in front but don't utilise it and continue to pass around between the backs. 

People giving out about Collins have a point but he is getting no service and regularly shows for the ball. Can't be said by Bird. My hide and seek champion yet again. Needs to get on the ball and and move forward. Waste of a position at the minute. 

A point but, these are useless. 

1 minute ago, Andrew1 said:

Not sure about that I heard he made two great saves?

Sibley and Barkhuizen ones I'd have said. They didn't look like huge saves but they were right in front of the keeper and he blocked them.

But that's my point, it's a bit deceptive because it didn't seem like we tested the keeper with big highlight reel shots that he acrobatively saved out of the top corner. He just covered his six yard box well and stopped the chances we made right in front of goal

If we had more composure you can see actually they had the whole goal to aim at and while the keeper did well for them, we let ourselves down with our finishing more than anything else

7 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Knight played in midfield last season when we were equally toothless away from home.  He scored two goals all season.  Really don't see moving him back to midfield as the magical solution that some do.

It was in the Championship - 

Just now, DanS1992 said:

I don't think it is about attack options, or a lack of. Sure another forward player would be nice, but if we play with a lone striker and don't play to his strengths, if we don't utilize the midfield correctly, then the result would probably be the same, no matter how many extra attacking players we may sign.

Precisely the point I making.

Unless we're expecting said striker to score a goal with every chance they're presented with which is just cloud cuckoo land.

We weren't adventurous enough and didn't want to win the game that badly so the draw is what we deserved and we got. 

Funny how reading comments already saying we should be beating teams like Shrewsbury ? we've only been in this league for 5 minutes and already we've built up a divine right sense of entitlement.

3 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Obviously disappointing not to win this one but it'll probably be something we have to get used to in the short term.

Some poor performances but it is the 4th game of the league season, it'll improve. We could have easily lost it at the end but didn't.

Bit early to be looking at league position but we're hardly doing badly compared to others either.

My only takeaway would be Dobbin's cameo. I'd like to see him from the start as soon as possible, and my patience with Collins is running out a bit. Not writing him off, but just think the young lad has earned himself a go in his preferred position ahead of Collins at the weekend. It was the first game where I thought Collins' general play was poor - maybe he could do with a couple games coming on from the bench against tired legs.

To be honest, we could have started Harry Kane today and I don't think he would have scored.

No service, no goals

Hmmm... we're playing alright but the lack of goals still concerns me.

I'm all for a 'footballing philosophy', but we need a Plan B for when that isn't working (against teams that are just going to put everyone behind the ball and try to hit on the break).

Whether that's getting a 'big 6'5" brick poo house' striker to bring on for the last 10mins to go more direct and push for a win remains to be seen... that's what I'd do... but that's probably why I'm not a football manager!

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Sibley and Barkhuizen ones I'd have said. They didn't look like huge saves but they were right in front of the keeper and he blocked them.

But that's my point, it's a bit deceptive because it didn't seem like we tested the keeper with big highlight reel shots that he acrobatively saved out of the top corner. He just covered his six yard box well and stopped the chances we made right in front of goal

If we had more composure you can see actually they had the whole goal to aim at and while the keeper did well for them, we let ourselves down with our finishing more than anything else

Sure, probably sounded closer on the radio…

Tidy but ineffective. It’s frustrating cos we all know there’s a bit more in the tank aaaand it’s a similar story to last seasons away games. Up and down the flank, back to centre backs, repeat. Cross occasionally.  Then, and now still, it doesn’t feel we’re brave enough to take a risk on a killer pass or drive towards the box often enough. No coincidence Dobbin and Sibley brought more of that and we looked a little more likely towards the end. Think this’ll be the main thing that separates a decent campaign and a promotion one. Feel sorry for collins cos he works his socks off but is often fighting the whole back line for a cross. Can’t be too disheartened in the grand scheme of things. Last season we probably lost this one 1-0.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Precisely the point I making.

Unless we're expecting said striker to score a goal with every chance they're presented with which is just cloud cuckoo land.

We weren't adventurous enough and didn't want to win the game that badly so the draw is what we deserved and we got. 

Funny how reading comments already saying we should be beating teams like Shrewsbury ? we've only been in this league for 5 minutes and already we've built up a divine right sense of entitlement.

Hopefully LR will figure things out and get things firing. And I agree, we have no divine right to beat anyone, Shrewsbury included, but if the squad have any ounce of ambition (and the majority have stated that the aim is promotion), then we really should be beating teams like Shrewsbury. Anyway it's another point on the board (even if it's a disappointing one) and hopefully LR can find a way to get things clicking in the final third. Onwards and upwards.

Edited by DanS1992