Jack Stretton - joined Stockport permanently

Caerphilly Ram

I just think Jack needs to learn how to enjoy football more. He plays like a man with all the troubles of the world on his shoulders.

I think if he gets a run in the team and the service he needs, goals will come and he might relax and improve.

If not, there’s a danger he will disappear like many promising players before him.

20 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Oh dear so he is so good in your view hence he has  progressed nothing like other youngsters in similar periods from U23s . Plange head and shoulders above Stretton as just one recent example. 

Where did I say that? I just dont get why your mission in life seems to be as negative as possible about them esp when a young lad has just gone out on loan

I think his development started to plateau here. I think there's a good chance we've seen the last of him.

If he goes there and gets game time and does well, I think he'll move permanently, either Carlisle or someone else.

Rightly or wrongly, he hasn't had the game time you'd expect with how thin our squad has been. Maybe there's something in him that just means he doesn't fit what we want in the first team. He's definitely got ability and potential and I hope he goes on to fulfil it (and I believe he will)

Edited by Tombo

I was all for Jack staying as an understudy if no more strikers were coming in. Hopefully this will yield 2 things. Jack playing mens football more regularly which will do him no end of good and secondly it sounds like a new striker might be imminent 

Good luck to him.

Make or break loan, I'd say. I know a lot of people here rate him highly but he's not really shown anything to suggest he's ready to make the step up. Hopefully he can do that now. But while I agree some players develop more slowly than others, it's also true that some players don't develop much at all. Sometimes they just aren't as good as we hoped or thought they would be.

I like Stretton, I hope he shows that he's got a lot more to give. But I think this loan is a good one for all parties. 

28 minutes ago, jono said:

I was all for Jack staying as an understudy if no more strikers were coming in. Hopefully this will yield 2 things. Jack playing mens football more regularly which will do him no end of good and secondly it sounds like a new striker might be imminent 

If I were building a team I'd want a striker who stays fit and plays nearly every game .. who can keep defenders busy, hold up the ball, link play/be an outlet and has a decent conversion rate - Collins. (In the past I suppose Howard, Gabbiadini, Martin, Wanchope all performed that role in different ways.)

Then I'd be wanting a link-up player/ number 10 who could also fill-in as lead striker, chip in with goals but is more of a creator - McGoldrick 

Then I'm wanting options. Something different...be it rapid pace, or silky skills, poacher, brilliant in the air. Doesn't have to be a great all-rounder, just be a great last 20min player who can change the game. Stretton didn't look like any of them...he looked more like an all-rounder who wasn't quite good enough to be the main man yet. Better for him to go where he will get games, really run the show and come back a better player. Just never struck me as a player I would turn to to change a game. If Collins gets a long term injury we may have an issue.  But I think Dobbin sounds more like the loan players I'd be thinking of - confident, destined for bigger things and capable of something special in a tight situation.

Good luck to him

Very harsh to write him off completely. The coaches and manager haven't got rid permanently so I assume they still believe he can do something. They see a lot more than we do from the 20 mins or so you might see him as a sub etc. 

Players aren't robots, and a lot of things can affect how they play. Run of games, bit of self belief, experience in the adult game (not the u23's) may all help reach a decent level. I imagine seeing Plange doing his thing can put real pressure on a kid in the same position, he's probably so desperate to get some goals and get his career underway that it hinders your game. Hopefully he feels less pressure at Carlisle and finds the net. 

7 minutes ago, LERam said:

Good luck to him

Very harsh to write him off completely. The coaches and manager haven't got rid permanently so I assume they still believe he can do something. They see a lot more than we do from the 20 mins or so you might see him as a sub etc. 

Players aren't robots, and a lot of things can affect how they play. Run of games, bit of self belief, experience in the adult game (not the u23's) may all help reach a decent level. I imagine seeing Plange doing his thing can put real pressure on a kid in the same position, he's probably so desperate to get some goals and get his career underway that it hinders your game. Hopefully he feels less pressure at Carlisle and finds the net. 

Rosenior said he didn’t want him to go permanently. Watch his pre match interview. 

Think Stretton just needs to get a good run of games together and stay fit for 20+ games. From what I've seen he seems to be a finisher of high quality and otherwise fairly allround. Think there are some great forwards in history with similar attributes and not all have been the finished article around 20. Best of luck Jack, express yourself and get some goals at Carlisle before you come back stronger ?

Edited by InstaRam

4 hours ago, Magicman said:

Oh dear so he is so good in your view hence he has  progressed nothing like other youngsters in similar periods from U23s . Plange head and shoulders above Stretton as just one recent example. 

He lost a fair bit of time last season through injury, after scoring his first goal for the first team at Peterborough. I think it's premature to be writing him off. After all, that's exactly what Arsenal did with Plange.... 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

He lost a fair bit of time last season through injury, after scoring his first goal for the first team at Peterborough. I think it's premature to be writing him off. After all, that's exactly what Arsenal did with Plange.... 

Point made but Plange grabbed his place and then moved to EPL no way is Stretton going to do that !!

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Point made but Plange grabbed his place and then moved to EPL no way is Stretton going to do that !!

Probably not, but impressed though I was with some of Plange's performances, I wasn't expecting a PL to come in for him that soon. I think Palace jumped in early in order to avoid any competition at the end of the season. It'll be a while before we see him playing in the PL I think. 

7 hours ago, LERam said:

Good luck to him

For everything you’ve just said, I think had we been operating last season, as say 2 years back under Lampard, it would’ve been highly likely he’d have gone out on loan for the 2nd half of the season had he been fit. The only reason he was more under the first team microscope, was the state of our threadbare squad. 

Players do develop at different times as someone else commented, Cashin for instance only started to get his chance in pre season last year and again was forced to wait because of circumstances, but again I suspect under Championship seasons of more than 2 years back, would probably have been loaned out to a league 1 or 2 club. The benefit of our threadbare squad, worked to his advantage when Jags went and he outperformed Stearman. Any other year he’d still have been largely waiting in my opinion.

Don’t get why fans can’t wish him the chance to build confidence, with a Manager that looks after him, ultimately to come back from a successful loan spell, to feature more prominently for us. That has to be the goal, for as many of our home grown talent as possible. Let’s see what he does before writing him off here.