Jack Stretton - joined Stockport permanently

Caerphilly Ram

As well as two niggly injuries, Jack had covid last season, which he took a while to recover from. Hence the reason Cybulski seemed to leapfrog him into the first team squad.

Before that, he was looking really sharp and actually a lot more deadly in front of goal than Plange at under 23 level.

I think the goalscoring ability is there. The question mark is whether he can handle the closer attention that defenders will give him at league level. Division two is a good place to find that out. Good luck, Jack.

40 minutes ago, angieram said:

As well as two niggly injuries, Jack had covid last season, which he took a while to recover from. Hence the reason Cybulski seemed to leapfrog him into the first team squad.

Before that, he was looking really sharp and actually a lot more deadly in front of goal than Plange at under 23 level.

I think the goalscoring ability is there. The question mark is whether he can handle the closer attention that defenders will give him at league level. Division two is a good place to find that out. Good luck, Jack.

Wise words. I assume he was earmarked for a loan last year and the issues surrounding our available players and his injuries prevented it. 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

He's been very unlucky, typified by the fact that he was recalled from his first loan spell (at Stockport) after 3 goals in 5 games, following us losing all of our forwards injured at the same time (CKR, Waghorn, Lawrence) but before he had the chance to start a few games tore his calf muscle making a 2 minute sub appearance days after he was recalled!

Hopefully he does well at Carlisle and stays injury free, he certainly knows where the net is so a full season of men's football should do him the world of good with the rest of his game.

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Off the toe of his team mate aswell ? 

Should have scored, But in his favour it was a turn and hit...then again his team mate would have been better placed, I can see after watching the league 2 highlights why strikers are playing down there...there were some shocking misses

37 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Genuine question - would you prefer Stretton to do well and score goals on his loan or be proved right on your view of his ability?!  

My views are based on watching him over 3 seasons here. It merely serves to highlight he fails to impress and the fact he misses easy chances is a problem he needs to fix asap. 

Edited by Magicman

20 hours ago, Magicman said:

Missed a sitter from 5 yards out yesterday 

14 hours ago, Dava75 said:

Genuine question - would you prefer Stretton to do well and score goals on his loan or be proved right on your view of his ability?!  

I think it’s fair to say that he wants to see a young Derby County player fail just to do he can tall everyone what a great judge of a footballer he is. Odd kind of fan.

Maybe they are banging the "Stretton is rubbish" drum with a bit too much gusto, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with criticising academy players. What's the alternative? We all pretend that every academy prospect is a world beater and ignore all evidence to the contrary?

3 hours ago, Anon said:

Maybe they are banging the "Stretton is rubbish" drum with a bit too much gusto, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with criticising academy players. What's the alternative? We all pretend that every academy prospect is a world beater and ignore all evidence to the contrary?

I’m not pretending anything. A view is a view and that is up to each individual. None of us can truly know based on the limited evidence so far as to whether Stretton will be another Callum Ball or another Dean Sturridge. Clearly those who watch him day in day out training etc have recognised he needs more game time elsewhere for his development and that is why he is out on loan. 

I would just like to understand whether MagicMan would prefer Stretton to do well or would prefer him to not do well to justify his view. The evidence of his posting on Stretton to date suggests the latter - but that could just be my perception -  and the truth might be that he would actually love Stretton to find form and bang the goals in and will be as quick to comment on his success on here. ??‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

I’m not pretending anything. A view is a view and that is up to each individual. None of us can truly know based on the limited evidence so far as to whether Stretton will be another Callum Ball or another Dean Sturridge. Clearly those who watch him day in day out training etc have recognised he needs more game time elsewhere for his development and that is why he is out on loan. 

I would just like to understand whether MagicMan would prefer Stretton to do well or would prefer him to not do well to justify his view. The evidence of his posting on Stretton to date suggests the latter - but that could just be my perception -  and the truth might be that he would actually love Stretton to find form and bang the goals in and will be as quick to comment on his success on here. ??‍♂️

I have a view he is not good enough unlike some who wear rose tinted glasses.  I am on the other hand full of praise for Bird, Thompson, Knight and have reservation over Sibley but he is still better than  Sretton .

On 14/08/2022 at 12:16, Unlucky Alf said:

Should have scored, But in his favour it was a turn and hit...then again his team mate would have been better placed, I can see after watching the league 2 highlights why strikers are playing down there...there were some shocking misses

Yes, he actually connected pretty well, and if (big "if") he'd scored, no-one would be suggesting his teammate had a better claim on it. Not sure it was much worse than Haaland's miss a couple of weeks ago... fine margins. At the same time I'm also not convinced that Stretton's got what it takes. This loan - taken as a whole - will tell us a lot, I imagine.

3 hours ago, Magicman said:

I have a view he is not good enough unlike some who wear rose tinted glasses.  I am on the other hand full of praise for Bird, Thompson, Knight and have reservation over Sibley but he is still better than  Sretton .

So I’ll ask again - do you want him to score goals and your view be proven wrong - or do you want him to do badly and your view be proven right? 

3 hours ago, Magicman said:

Most people who have watched the academy games over a number of years would describe Stretton as a natural poacher, but limited in general play. This is a major reason why Plange was involved so much more last season (other than the fact he was out injured for a large percentage of games). Stretton was used in 10 of the first 13 games in 21/22 (all competitions) prior to injury.
42 goals and 4 assists in 58 youth games since the start of the 18/19 season further back up this point. Great goal scorer, limited build-up play.

He's had one loan spell, scoring 3 goals in just 173 minutes of football.
In our first team, he has so far scored 1 and assisted 1 in 480 minutes of football

He hasn't had much of a pre-season, so to write him off after a couple of 20 minute cameos whilst building up match fitness is premature.