Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

Have any of our players ever practised finishing in training? It's really not hard to get a shot on target wether its a good shot or not , we were  the 4th worst for scoring goals last year and I can't see where the the goals will come from this year, haven't enjoyed watching us for years other than for atmosphere live but I still keep going , I thought I'd be grateful to watch us this year after all that has happened but I can't stand watching them still , no passion in the team they walk off laughing and joking after that 90 mins , sad times for me

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Have any of our players ever practised finishing in training? It's really not hard to get a shot on target wether its a good shot or not , we were  the 4th worst for scoring goals last year and I can't see where the the goals will come from this year, haven't enjoyed watching us for years other than for atmosphere live but I still keep going , I thought I'd be grateful to watch us this year after all that has happened but I can't stand watching them still , no passion in the team they walk off laughing and joking after that 90 mins , sad times for me

Seems slightly extreme....at the very least,the first half showed us in a very positive light.

The finishing is a concern and no doubt needs some work but hopefully it will all click if we can get that aspect sorted (and may just be solved with more match time)

Just now, dcfcreece1601 said:

Passion won’t score goals. It’s quality in front of goal, and today we were missing it.

We didn’t look like a team bereft of ideas. We created enough chances to have won quite comfortably. We win this game 7 times out of 10. Which away from home would be a very good record.

We will be fine. Easy to forget also that this squad has only been together for a month. 

Frustrating result. 

We we’re the better team, absolutely mullered them 1st half. Created plenty of chances…….but couldn’t put one away.

There’s clearly a confidence problem in front of goal, as well as us being a couple of weeks behind in our fitness.

The good news is, If we keep playing well and creating chances, with a bit of luck we’ll start scoring on a more regular basis and as that confidence builds through the team things will rapidly improve.

4 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Finally, a measured response.

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Still need more attacking options IMO, shouldn't have to keep throwing Davies uptop 

yeah Collins needs to find his radar PDQ as he is the only proven scorer we have at this level. We really need to be winning games like this especially when we boss the first half and have load of chances. But we ain't gonna win every game and it's early days. 

4 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

This is hilariously dramatic about a game we created the better chances in. 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Passion won’t score goals. It’s quality in front of goal, and today we were missing it.

We didn’t look like a team bereft of ideas. We created enough chances to have won quite comfortably. We win this game 7 times out of 10. Which away from home would be a very good record.

We will be fine. Easy to forget also that this squad has only been together for a month. 

No if we continue to be poor at finishing we lose this 10 times out of 10 , unless we all of a sudden become ok at shooting for the first time since the mclaren days then I don't see how we win 7 in 10 ?‍♂️

Just now, Andicis said:

This is hilariously dramatic about a game we created the better chances in. 

Hilariously dramatic? What's the point creating better chances then losing? You having a laugh ? our team look no better at scoring than last year creating chances means nothing without goals 

No if we continue to be poor at finishing we lose this 10 times out of 10 , unless we all of a sudden become ok at shooting for the first time since the mclaren days then I don't see how we win 7 in 10 ?‍♂️

You make it sound like we were relegated missing gilt-edged chances left, right and centre. Under Cocu we were lucky to get a shot at goal at all and last season, we struggled to create even when we played well.

Missing easy chances is a problem, but it's a new one. 

In this game specifically.

Hilariously dramatic? What's the point creating better chances then losing? You having a laugh ? our team look no better at scoring than last year creating chances means nothing without goals 

We created plenty. Finishing often comes down to a bit of luck or form on the day. You can't read into the finishing in a singular match and use that to make claims for future fixtures. We played well, we lost. It happens. Just relax about it. 

One thing i find myself asking is collins the right sort of forward for the way we’re looking to play?

Last season rooney favoured Plange to ckr as his movement allowed us to stretch pitch vertically which in turn created pockets of space for lawrence, knight and co to operate in.

I dont see us being able to do that with collins and a times get a little caught in trying to play between the lines and getting out wide and early ball in

things for the training ground

i think it’ll be imperative to get knight back into midfield and push mendes lang and barks as high and as close to the big man as possible