Recruitment, make do and mend!

RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, LERam said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-wayne-rooney-shuttleworth-7323733

Can't seem to see anything about this posted? 

If he was behind all the signings lately which most seem to approve of, then this is dissapointing 

Cheers Wayne.  Got that job arranged on the quiet and poach staff within a day ?.  Not been going on in the background for 5-6 weeks has it. Has he made sure all those staff got their jobs back then, or spent the time concentrating on getting further millions in Colleens shopping fund.

18 hours ago, rammieib said:

I've read through the points document on the FA website. Apparently EFL agreed to it - I am really surprised to be honest because as you say, it took the buying power from so many places around Europe out of the equation.

IMO - if you were paying someone several thousand pounds a week, they would have been good enough for a work permit IMO. I actually would have based a lot of it on salary, not the leagues/countries etc they were playing in.

I believe there was some kind of incentive dangled in front of the EFL to get them to agree. Think it was related to solidarity payments or something like that.

Its just another method of securing the places of the top clubs and making the gap even wider.

We won't be signing the likes of rasiak, idiakez, etc because we're not allowed to.

And i see many people claiming it benefits the national team, but that doesnt benefit Derby. Any player who looks to be any good gets poached by a big prem team at a young age for an absolute pittance. The system would only benefit us if we were in the premier league.

I am slightly confused regarding the timing of the DC United role - presumably as Wayne was there as a player his Visa would have been cancelled or expired when he left. But he got his new one ready to start this week and it wasnt in the offing when he left us? I guess that he may have been fast-tracked but a football analyst? If he does go there and its quick his visa would not have been processed since Wayne left us

On 12/07/2022 at 07:42, GenBr said:

Yeh the player had to gather enough points based on certai criteria - one of which is the league of the buying club i believe. When we were in the Championship it was something like 9 players in all of Germany that we could buy. Id be very surprised if any can gather enough points for us to sign them now. Just seems a waste of time to scout contiental europe unless we're in the premier league

Interesting that as a Championship club we couldn't sign German players but Werder Bremen have taken Lee Buchanan from us who wasn't even 1st choice left back and was in a team relegated to the 3rd tier

Edited by SamUltraRam

12 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Interesting that as a Championship club we couldn't sign German players but Werder Bremen have taken Lee Buchanan from us who wasn't even 1st choice left back and was in a team relegated to the 3rd tier

Brexit?

Edited by sage

On 12/07/2022 at 07:42, GenBr said:

Yeh the player had to gather enough points based on certai criteria - one of which is the league of the buying club i believe. When we were in the Championship it was something like 9 players in all of Germany that we could buy. Id be very surprised if any can gather enough points for us to sign them now. Just seems a waste of time to scout contiental europe unless we're in the premier league

I'd be interested to know where you got that number from. In respect to the Bundesliga, based on the FA's criteria document, anyone to have played for a top 20 national side over the previous 12 months would have qualified, whereas for rank 21-30 they had to play 20% of the minutes, 30% for rank 31-50.
If a youth player had debuted in the prior 12 months, or a first team player to have played in at least 20% of the minutes he also would have qualified.
If they had played in the Champions League group stages, or QF of the Europa League they would qualify, or simply 70% of the club's minutes in the Europa League.
If they qualified for next seasons Champions League qualifying rounds or Europa League Group stages.

All would be eligible to join us if we were in the Championship or in League 1.

If we're looking at the Eredivisie, Belgian First Division or Portuguese Primeira Liga, then it's a bit toguher. But, helping their club play in Europe, playing for a top 50 national side, playing in 40% of their domestic minutes, or making a youth debut would make them eligible to join us.

16 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I thought Brexit meant it was more difficult for workers to come here, but also the EU made it as difficult as possible for UK workers to go over there ?

EU countries set their own rules for non EU immigration (as we always did), Germany obviously has rules allowing young British players in a lot easier than some 

On 13/07/2022 at 15:19, whiteroseram said:

EU countries set their own rules for non EU immigration (as we always did), Germany obviously has rules allowing young British players in a lot easier than some 

Also little to do with government rules, the limiting factor in this is the FA administered points system which is there to protect Uk footballers from foreign players coming in and taking playing spots at a lower level.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/player-registration/points-based-system

Im loving this new approach to recruitment. I'm hoping we carry on poaching quality talent from big club academies as i think we might be able to make a few quid in the transfer windows and strengthen our side with minimal cost! Instead of spending millions on old blokes that had one good season years ago!

Its a shame we were in such a poor decision as we've already lost some young lads with really bright futures for no money!

Hoping players from all academies now see us as a way into first team football and a way to better their careers.

Reckon this is our new approach to recruitment or just a way of fixing our team in our current predicament? 

5 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Im loving this new approach to recruitment. I'm hoping we carry on poaching quality talent from big club academies as i think we might be able to make a few quid in the transfer windows and strengthen our side with minimal cost! Instead of spending millions on old blokes that had one good season years ago!

Its a shame we were in such a poor decision as we've already lost some young lads with really bright futures for no money!

Hoping players from all academies now see us as a way into first team football and a way to better their careers.

Reckon this is our new approach to recruitment or just a way of fixing our team in our current predicament? 

I think it's more a case of picking up those who've been booted out by big academies before they are snapped up by other clubs. You have to pay a decent wedge if you want to get someone.

You can't actually go out poaching academy players or even tap them up for the future otherwise you punished with fines and transfer embargoes (didn't that happen to Chelsea or Liverpool?)

Equally as a player, once you are signed it's very hard to leave as the club own you. A few years ago Derby played hardball with Zac Brunt and wouldn't let him leave for another club - hence he ended up playing at Matlock at a level outside the remit of the academy rules.

But.......agree, there are some gems out there that can be picked up and fast-tracked to our 1st team.

• 3 months later...

"Derby County head coach Paul Warne says the club is narrowing its search for a new head of recruitment after revealing "really good" candidates have applied for the job.

The Rams advertised the position last month and have been holding interviews in recent weeks as they close in on what is a key appointment.

"It has been good," he said. "We've had some really good candidates. We need someone who is going to oversee the first team and academy. The academy is a big part of it. We need to build that back up because it has been fleeced of a lot of talent due to admin and I understand what has happened.

"We've had a set of really amazing people apply for the job and we have reduced it down to a very few. There are two who I want to speak to again.

"It's really difficult because some people are really good in interviews. You think 'wow' but then you don't know if they are the right person. You've got to try to distance yourself from how good they are at performing. I know that sounds awful but with a footballer you can watch all their games and speak to loads of people.

"But with a head of recruitment, if you are going for someone else's you look at what they have done there and under what parameters. There's no point bringing in Juventus' head of recruitment in for obvious reasons. It's the same way, respectfully, there's no point bringing King's Lynn's in either.

"He might be the best one in a few years' time but at the moment might not know the market. We've just got to review with the owner. It's his club and we'll take his opinion on it as well."

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Derby County head coach Paul Warne says the club is narrowing its search for a new head of recruitment after revealing "really good" candidates have applied for the job.

The Rams advertised the position last month and have been holding interviews in recent weeks as they close in on what is a key appointment.

"It has been good," he said. "We've had some really good candidates. We need someone who is going to oversee the first team and academy. The academy is a big part of it. We need to build that back up because it has been fleeced of a lot of talent due to admin and I understand what has happened.

"We've had a set of really amazing people apply for the job and we have reduced it down to a very few. There are two who I want to speak to again.

"It's really difficult because some people are really good in interviews. You think 'wow' but then you don't know if they are the right person. You've got to try to distance yourself from how good they are at performing. I know that sounds awful but with a footballer you can watch all their games and speak to loads of people.

"But with a head of recruitment, if you are going for someone else's you look at what they have done there and under what parameters. There's no point bringing in Juventus' head of recruitment in for obvious reasons. It's the same way, respectfully, there's no point bringing King's Lynn's in either.

"He might be the best one in a few years' time but at the moment might not know the market. We've just got to review with the owner. It's his club and we'll take his opinion on it as well."

So, not Mel's kid I take it?