Recruitment, make do and mend!

RoyMac5

38 minutes ago, Oldben said:

How does having a new head of recruitment help when the club's restricted to free agents and loan deals until the end of next season.

If we are restricted then a head a recruitment or a greatly enhanced scouting department is vital. Yeah we might know good free agents from England and Scotland for example, but what about the French second division? Other Spanish leagues? Or youth players released by clubs above us in the football pyramid?

I'm saying we need to cast a wide net and hoover up talent.

The days of simply buying players of the season, for massively inflated fees, from clubs we arrogantly think are smaller than us, or a player in the only purple patch of their career are, thankfully, long gone

14 hours ago, Oldben said:

How does having a new head of recruitment help when the club's restricted to free agents and loan deals until the end of next season.

Because it frees the rest of the staff at derby up to concentrate on their roles respectively? 

Must be a time consuming process identifying (particular for the academy) a bunch of players getting them, agents, parents in for discussions and so on even if no fees are paid. 

16 hours ago, KBB said:

The days of simply buying players of the season, for massively inflated fees, from clubs we arrogantly think are smaller than us, or a player in the only purple patch of their career are, thankfully, long gone

That wasn't an active decision though was it, it was forced upon us. 

So we don't know if that's a phenomenona that's never going to happen again. 

20 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"It has been good," he said. "We've had some really good candidates. We need someone who is going to oversee the first team and academy. The academy is a big part of it. We need to build that back up because it has been fleeced of a lot of talent due to admin and I understand what has happened.

This still bothers me. It shouldn't because life's too short, but after admin to see our academy ripped apart of talent really grinds my gears. Really hope the new head of recruitment is a good one.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whatever happens in January, if we are able to recruit some players I think Warne probably can spot a diamond, at the very least it’ll be players with plenty of heart coming from other clubs, Warne strikes me as someone who knows what he wants and will call a spade a spade. 

Ace. Think you're a flush after that full house.

Edited by IslandExile

On 20/11/2022 at 13:36, Elwood P Dowd said:

There are lots of non league clubs out there let’s hope PW can find us a diamond of a player in the next transfer window♦️ 

On 20/11/2022 at 14:53, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whatever happens in January, if we are able to recruit some players I think Warne probably can spot a diamond, at the very least it’ll be players with plenty of heart coming from other clubs, Warne strikes me as someone who knows what he wants and will call a spade a spade. 

That Sorba Thomas for Huddersfield came from non league 18 months or so ago. Now playing in the World Cup for Wales, he had us on toast vs them especially in our home game last season. There's always rough diamonds waiting to be polished up, you just have to know where to look. Peterborough definitely know where looking at their past business over the years.