Recruitment, make do and mend!

RoyMac5

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

Yeh the player had to gather enough points based on certai criteria - one of which is the league of the buying club i believe. When we were in the Championship it was something like 9 players in all of Germany that we could buy. Id be very surprised if any can gather enough points for us to sign them now. Just seems a waste of time to scout contiental europe unless we're in the premier league

Unless of course they have a British passport, or could get one, or have worked for some time already in the UK. 

19 hours ago, GenBr said:

I thought we couldn't sign players from Europe after we left the EU? OR at least there was a very small amount we could sign when we were in the Championship and virtually none whilst we're in league one. Or did they not implement that points system in the end or is it different if they are free agents?

I imagine a Championship budget, there would be quite a few around Europe that were feasible and we could obtain permits for.

In L1 and whilst we cannot spend any money, I would imagine the number of realistic targets who would obtain a permit would be virtually zero.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I imagine a Championship budget, there would be quite a few around Europe that were feasible and we could obtain permits for.

In L1 and whilst we cannot spend any money, I would imagine the number of realistic targets who would obtain a permit would be virtually zero.

Even at championship level there were very few players across Europe that could get enough points for us to sign them.

From the athletic the below is how points are scored.

"Other point-scoring categories are the final league position of the player’s last club, the minutes they’ve played in continental competitions — the Europa League and Champions League, for example — and how far their club progressed in the tournament. The final one is the quality of the team they are transferring from."

I cant find the article but it basically said the only ones who really qualified for EFL teams were fir the most part top players in the top leagues. Or players who made a lot of international appearances in the last couple of years.

As you say though league 1 is even worse. Virtually nobody eligible

It isn't player recruitment but it is club recruitment. I've just noticed Todd Holt, Head of Finance, has returned to the club this month after leaving during the admin redundancy period. Having listened to the Ramswriter podcast with the club employer telling the inside story, the finance department we're heavily restrained in what they were allowed to do for years despite their expertise. Hopefully he'll be able to put things right financially with support of sensible ownership. 

image.thumb.png.b877f3d2d4bc0062a1022c9ff3bbfc87.png

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Even at championship level there were very few players across Europe that could get enough points for us to sign them.

From the athletic the below is how points are scored.

"Other point-scoring categories are the final league position of the player’s last club, the minutes they’ve played in continental competitions — the Europa League and Champions League, for example — and how far their club progressed in the tournament. The final one is the quality of the team they are transferring from."

I cant find the article but it basically said the only ones who really qualified for EFL teams were fir the most part top players in the top leagues. Or players who made a lot of international appearances in the last couple of years.

As you say though league 1 is even worse. Virtually nobody eligible

I've read through the points document on the FA website. Apparently EFL agreed to it - I am really surprised to be honest because as you say, it took the buying power from so many places around Europe out of the equation.

IMO - if you were paying someone several thousand pounds a week, they would have been good enough for a work permit IMO. I actually would have based a lot of it on salary, not the leagues/countries etc they were playing in.

17 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I've read through the points document on the FA website. Apparently EFL agreed to it - I am really surprised to be honest because as you say, it took the buying power from so many places around Europe out of the equation.

IMO - if you were paying someone several thousand pounds a week, they would have been good enough for a work permit IMO. I actually would have based a lot of it on salary, not the leagues/countries etc they were playing in.

Surely, the point of this system is to give protection to home based players which ultimately helps the national teams. The likes of Wales and NI are already using players from the lower leagues, if all comers were allowed, these players would be playing at non league level.

Whilst there is a case for watching top world standard players in the Premier at our highest level, I don't see the point in playing average foreign players in Lg1, just because they're cheaper than their British counterparts. Our future England players get valuable experience in the lower leagues as youngsters, more foreign players would only hinder this development.

6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Surely, the point of this system is to give protection to home based players which ultimately helps the national teams. The likes of Wales and NI are already using players from the lower leagues, if all comers were allowed, these players would be playing at non league level.

Whilst there is a case for watching top world standard players in the Premier at our highest level, I don't see the point in playing average foreign players in Lg1, just because they're cheaper than their British counterparts. Our future England players get valuable experience in the lower leagues as youngsters, more foreign players would only hinder this development.

I agree. But. The two main problems with that policy is that the price of UK players is ramped up because the competition for their signature is greater and the clubs with money (in the PL and the parachutists elsewhere) can pick off the best UK players more easily, thereby making it harder for middle ranking clubs to get promotion and stay promoted, never mind winning anything.

Like so much else around football the system effectively continues to place purchasing power and success in the hands of a few, and God forbid anyone comes along to disturb that 

19 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I agree. But. The two main problems with that policy is that the price of UK players is ramped up because the competition for their signature is greater and the clubs with money (in the PL and the parachutists elsewhere) can pick off the best UK players more easily, thereby making it harder for middle ranking clubs to get promotion and stay promoted, never mind winning anything.

Like so much else around football the system effectively continues to place purchasing power and success in the hands of a few, and God forbid anyone comes along to disturb that 

I agree. The long term health of the National Team is fine as an aspiration but I don't see why we at DCFC should have to look beyond our own interests when we are in a League with such paltry incomes. Every penny counts and if a player from abroad will sign for and play for less then we would obviously want to look at that but we are largely prevented from doing so by the rules intended to benefit PL teams. They can seek better value abroad but the EFL teams find that a hell of a lot harder because of rules set down to favour PL teams.

Add to that the laughable protection that the academy seems to have and its frankly not much of an incentive to develop young British players. Don't get me wrong, personally I really want us to be developing young players through the academy and not just being foreign mercenaries and it has been brilliant watching the young lads break into the first team and get games but at the same time I do understand the Brentford approach. Our money is limited and will need applying where there is best value and I don't see why everyone in the lower leagues should be disadvantaged by these rules on top of all the other disadvantages of being down the tiers.

We were teetering on the precipice of an abyss when we were saved by our high praiseworthy owner.  We must learn from the cash spending chance taking financial gymnastics which got us in such deep trouble and now run the club within it's means. 

The infrastructure is there, our youth will be our strength and for now we must rely on it largely.  No high wage for anyone, make smart signings, move forward a step at a time, no more of this earlier nonsense.

1 hour ago, BriggRam said:

Would be a loss, Rosie was very complimentary of the work Shuttleworth has done behind the scenes

Ben Warner, head of analysis, worked his way through the Academy analysis team, and he was the guy that appointed Shuttleworth - so get him to find another! ?

8 minutes ago, 68 Guns said:

Please see my most recent post on this thread

I realised as such after another post, so posted this:

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ben Warner, head of analysis, worked his way through the Academy analysis team, and he was the guy that appointed Shuttleworth - so get him to find another! ?