Tom Lawrence - Joined Rangers

Bubbles

8 hours ago, Taribo said:

…at a cut price in Jan or whoever is buying can wait until the end of this season and get him free.

Sad state of affairs when the best we can hope for is letting him go for free with the aim of just reducing our wage bill. 

It really is a sad state of affairs. I suppose a cut price is better than nothing for us?

On 26/11/2021 at 23:11, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Where is our threat this season without Lawrence? 

we still have an outside chance of survival because despite what many say we have a decent squad. But we could only survive if on the pitch we have 11 players playing with maximum intensity.  Lawrence has plenty of talent, but he hardly ever shows any intensity, let alone  for 90minutes. That's a problem. It's a massive problem if he's captain.  We're better off without him. Make Curtis captain. Hope Rooney continues to motivate the team and that he shows better tactical nous. Our strength is the Curtis Jagielka axis at the back. We need to play to that strength and if we stay strong at the back, keep clean sheets and play decent football we have plenty of players who will score goals to secure wins

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

we still have an outside chance of survival because despite what many say we have a decent squad. But we could only survive if on the pitch we have 11 players playing with maximum intensity.  Lawrence has plenty of talent, but he hardly ever shows any intensity, let alone  for 90minutes. That's a problem. It's a massive problem if he's captain.  We're better off without him. Make Curtis captain. Hope Rooney continues to motivate the team and that he shows better tactical nous. Our strength is the Curtis Jagielka axis at the back. We need to play to that strength and if we stay strong at the back, keep clean sheets and play decent football we have plenty of players who will score goals to secure wins

Lawrence works his socks off. The intensity is there. He's also in the form of his life right now, at Derby at least.

We ae not better off without him in any way, shape or form. He is top in both the goals scored and assists made charts, with double the output of the next best. 

We do not have 'plenty of players who will score goals to secure wins'. Indeed, without Lawrence, we present almost zero goal threat, save for via corners and set pieces. Save for Festy, Lawrence is also the only player we have with pace enough to get beyond oppo defences.

The only part of your post that makes any sense (just my opinion), is that Curtis should indeed be captain and he and Jags make a strong unit.

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Lawrence works his socks off. The intensity is there

He’s scored 3 goals recently that raheem sterling would be proud of. His work rate has improved since he became captain and he has had one game in the last 6 where his effort was superb. If he thinks he has a direct route to goal, he’s 100% on it - unless it requires a robust aerial challenge. But works his socks off??? Knight works his socks off. Tommo works his socks off. Curtis works his socks off. Shinnie does most of the time. Joz does most of the time. CKR used to. We are going down unless we see the very best of this squad and the management team for 90 mins of the next 20 games  And have a healthy slice of luck  

Lawrence is not consistently doing enough imho, epecially given he’s captain. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

He’s scored 3 goals recently that raheem sterling would be proud of. His work rate has improved since he became captain and he has had one game in the last 6 where his effort was superb. If he thinks he has a direct route to goal, he’s 100% on it - unless it requires a robust aerial challenge. But works his socks off??? Knight works his socks off. Tommo works his socks off. Curtis works his socks off. Shinnie does most of the time. Joz does most of the time. CKR used to. We are going down unless we see the very best of this squad and the management team for 90 mins of the next 20 games  And have a healthy slice of luck  

Lawrence is not consistently doing enough imho, epecially given he’s captain. 

A half-bothered Lawrence in the hand is better than two Joz's in the bush

On 02/12/2021 at 09:51, OUTSIDER said:

Tom Lawrence at Derby after only playing a good game every 5, he is staring to show on a regular basis what he is capable of...( played more suited to him mined) and now we sell him on the cheap.... i suppose it sums up the Derby way 

Are you suggesting we keep him?

If Tom Lawrence was a £500k signing and on less than £10k a week he'd be looked upon far more favourable. He has becomea victim of not living up to his price tag and wages unfortunately.

He's on top end Championship dollar but isn't any better than say Luton's Harry Cornick who was cheap as chips.

In fact, Tom Lawrence cost like three times as much as Everton's Damarai Gray.

Edited by Bris Vegas

21 hours ago, sage said:

Are you suggesting we keep him?

no and we cant. unless he took a pay cut. 

what i was saying now when he is virtually out the door he is playing the best games. he has not lived up to the OVER HYPE of him. one good season at ipswich and rest in my opinion. he not even a regular in welsh squad 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Tom Lawrence was a £500k signing and on less than £10k a week he'd be looked upon far more favourable. He has becomea victim of not living up to his price tag and wages unfortunately.

He's on top end Championship dollar but isn't any better than say Luton's Harry Cornick who was cheap as chips.

Why are you comparing him to a Championship CF?

Record in the Championship when not playing at CF
Cornick: 35 games, 3 goals, 4 assists (1 goal contribution per 5 games)
Lawrence: 222 games, 39 goals, 36 assists (1 goal contribution per 3 games)

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Whilst Lawrence annoys the living daylights out of me because he has the talent to be a lot better and a lot more consistent at being better his contribution to DCFC is significantly better value than the ridiculous signings of Anya, Blackman and say Butterfield 

While I agree he is having a purple patch at the minute, If we are all but doomed by January then I would definitely get rid of Lawrence for the best fee we could. At the reported 37k a week he is on, we could get far more value by using the savings running the club/ servicing the debt / signing a cheaper 'replacement' or maybe a youth player could step up and fill the role etc. At least then the armband can go to Curtis without causing any issues. 

On 07/12/2021 at 02:54, 86 Hair Islands said:

We do not have 'plenty of players who will score goals to secure wins'. Indeed, without Lawrence, we present almost zero goal threat, save for via corners and set pieces.

This. Perhaps stupidly, I'm still clinging on to the faintest hope of survival. That would be gone if we sold our only goal threat.

A lot of people who are still criticising Tom now will be missing a player of his quality  in a couple years time when we’re still in League One and have someone we’ve signed from Yeovil on the wing. If you saw the state of Blackpool’s wingers on Saturday, you’ll get what I mean.

He’s done well this season but has benefitted from being a focal point in an otherwise featureless attack, his stock’s actually been helped by the situation.

He’s also matured a bit. I always have said he’s a player who has an amazing talent for shooting when he should pass and passing when he should shoot. He’s cut that out this season and now when he’s direct it’s so much more clinical.

I think whoever ends up with him after us will have one of the better inside forward type attackers in the Championship for possibly next to nothing.