Tom Lawrence - Joined Rangers

Bubbles

42 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He’s not like Anya he’s playing and contributing - if he moves on in the summer that’s his choice and that’s the same for all but 8 players I think - the players are enjoying this season and yes money comes into it but if we survive as a club some might just want to stay whatever league we are in.

It’s a tricky one for players. Do they take long term security, or hang on until the end of their contract. An injury between now and the end of the season would be catastrophic for their future earnings 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If the reports of us having the money in place to finish the season are true then we need to decide if we are better served letting him go now and getting something as opposed to nothing, or if we think we have a genuine shot at staying up. If we think we can stay up and we aren't in a position where we have to sell to survive, then I'd keep him.

Look back through this thread and some of the opinions on Lawrence are bonkers. Plenty of people would happily have seen him gone by now, and we'd have less points as a result and wouldn't even be within touching distance of anyone else in the division.

If we think we can stay up and we have the cash to see out the season, keep him.

What would you say the probability of us staying up with the current squad is?

If we sold him it would be for a modest £500k, plus a saving of wages, so about £1m total.
Relegation would probably cost us £8m per season at that level.
I'd put our odds much higher than 12.5%.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we sold him it would be for a modest £500k, plus a saving of wages, so about £1m total.

These won’t be reflected by the bookies, but I’d say our chances probably are about 12.5%. The gap is still very large and our optimism is based on our recent run of form. It’s going to be one hell of a challenge.

Still keep him while we’ve got a chance though. I believe.

I hope the Admins take the same approach with Lawrence as they did with Sibley.

He is essential if we want any chance of staying up.

Lose him, we lose our match winner who may well win us 4-5 remaining games himself this season.

Take that away, we lose 1-2,000 off the home gates as well - that more than covers his wages.

He won't be short of offers once his contract expires and he will have the luxury of being able to demand more and choose where he wants to go. 

It was always blindingly obvious to me that Lawrence was going to leave in this window without a buyer for the club. He's the highest earning player, plus he will have interest because he's been one of the best players in the league this season. He's performing the best that he ever has since making the move all those years ago. 

It would be a great move for him to go to Fulham. I think eventually he would become a bit-part player, especially when they get promoted, but he'll get another 3-4 year contract on huge money. A year ago that wouldn't have been possible for him. 

It's poo for us, but this is the situation we found ourselves in. I just hope we get good money for him, considering the situation. 

Regardless of what happens over the next six months, Lawrence will not be here next season and he isn't the definitive differentiation between staying up or being relegated.

Sell, make the saving and use the time to see if Sibley, Morrisson or even Jozwiak can fill that spot.

Edited by StarterForTen

7 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Regardless of what happens over the next six months, Lawrence will not be here next season and he isn't the definitive differentiation between staying up or being relegated.

Sell, make the saving and use the time to see if Sibley, Morrisson or even Jozwiak can fill that spot.

You know that for sure do you? It would mean a big difference in income, how much for Lawrence?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

It was always blindingly obvious to me that Lawrence was going to leave in this window without a buyer for the club. He's the highest earning player, plus he will have interest because he's been one of the best players in the league this season. He's performing the best that he ever has since making the move all those years ago. 

It would be a great move for him to go to Fulham. I think eventually he would become a bit-part player, especially when they get promoted, but he'll get another 3-4 year contract on huge money. A year ago that wouldn't have been possible for him. 

It's poo for us, but this is the situation we found ourselves in. I just hope we get good money for him, considering the situation. 

The administrators have already said that selling players is not viable in providing funds to see out the season. Why would we sell Lawrence? If that happens then our chances of staying up dramatically decrease. He wants to stay and I expect him to. Remember what Rooney said. 'No one will leave without my say-so.'

Edited by Rammy03

1 hour ago, 66DegreesNorth said:

Premier League clubs Wolves, Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle, and Championship leaders Fulham, want to sign Wales attacker Tom Lawrence, 28, from Derby. (Team Talk)

bbc

It only talks about a Fulham replacement in all fairness and probably in the summer as a free signing 

21 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Really ? You think Morrison could fill in ? I actually think he could be the difference, hope he stays till the end of the season….

21 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

We don’t have a goalscorer. Lawrence is the closest we have. Without him we wouldn’t have registered an effort on target in many of our games. The three you mention don’t get close enough to shoot and if they did, couldn’t dribble one as far as the keeper.

On 21/01/2022 at 11:04, Ghost of Clough said:

The squad is paper thin and who know what the next week could bring in terms of player or even manager departures. I think a 12.5% chance of staying up is optimistic tbh. We may have a 12.5% of not staying in existence.   

I'm thinking Tom would like to stay here beyond his contract ending and is willing to take a huge pay cut. Never have Derby fans valued him more than now. However, when he said if it helps the club by moving he'll do it, there could be the option of someone buying him in this Window, and loaning him back to us until the season end, that's a possibility and sometimes happens, like Spurs did with Tom Huddlestone. Obviously, if it was Newcastle or Burnley that would not be the case.

12 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I'm thinking Tom would like to stay here beyond his contract ending and is willing to take a huge pay cut. Never have Derby fans valued him more than now. However, when he said if it helps the club by moving he'll do it, there could be the option of someone buying him in this Window, and loaning him back to us until the season end, that's a possibility and sometimes happens, like Spurs did with Tom Huddlestone. Obviously, if it was Newcastle or Burnley that would not be the case.

Not in a million years will that happen. You see that with youngsters who aren't yet ready to make the step up. It's like if Man Utd signed Bird. He'd be loaned out straight away for that very reason.